Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to hire a car if you only have a tourist visa?

Is it possible to hire a car if you only have a tourist visa?

Old Feb 20th 2011, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to hire a car if you only have a tourist visa?

Originally Posted by Meow
How many times do I have to explain this? It does not matter if the rental company only asks for a UK licence. The law states that you need an IDP - no matter whether you are asked to show it or not - to drive legally on a tourist visa.
Yeh its like the fact that people say that when I go into A&E or Spinneys or wherever, they do not ask for my liquor license, but as I tell them, that doesnt matter, they will not be the ones that will be in trouble, it will be you if you do not have one. If A&E didnt ask for it, what does it matter to them!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice

Visitors coming out soon have double checked with the UAE embassy and their car hire company and were told that the rules have changed since they stopped issuing temporary uae licenses (which you used to have to get to hire a car here). The countries that get a visa on arrival (same countries that don't need to re-take their test for a uae license if residents) do not need an IDP and can drive a rental car on their own country's license.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:28 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, all, for your comments.

Found this on British Embassy's site:

"Safety and Security - Local Travel - Road Travel
British nationals possessing a visit visa may drive a UAE rental car using their British driving licence. Anyone applying for residence in the UAE may also drive on their British driving licence until such time as the residency permit is issued. Thereafter, a UAE driving licence is required. Expatriates with valid residency visas may obtain UAE from the traffic department."

Full information here:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...-arab-emirates
Old Apr 4th 2011, 6:40 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

so what's the deal with driving a privately owned car (so no rental)...I always thought that without a UAE license, you were not allowed to drive someones car, but a client this morning told me differently...his wife hasn't got a UAE license as her residency visa isn't issued yet, but she is driving his car on her Dutch license...
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

GolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MataHari
so what's the deal with driving a privately owned car (so no rental)...I always thought that without a UAE license, you were not allowed to drive someones car, but a client this morning told me differently...his wife hasn't got a UAE license as her residency visa isn't issued yet, but she is driving his car on her Dutch license...
I thought that too until recently, but my insurer (Axa) assures me that this is perfectly OK providing the driver has an international license.

I'd still like to see it written down somewhere, but unfortunately I suspect the only way to test out the theory is to do it and then have an accident...
Old Apr 7th 2011, 9:15 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GolfGardener
I thought that too until recently, but my insurer (Axa) assures me that this is perfectly OK providing the driver has an international license.

I'd still like to see it written down somewhere, but unfortunately I suspect the only way to test out the theory is to do it and then have an accident...
I called the RTA, and they told me there is no issue, you can drive a privately registered car on your Dutch license (and I assume the same goes for a British license, as they fall under the same rules). No international license needed.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 3:36 pm
Banned

illujenz is an unknown quantity at this point

I know of some residents who are using their license from their home country, I don't think its allowed.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

JB22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by illujenz
I know of some residents who are using their license from their home country, I don't think its allowed.
you can drive arental on tourist visas until you get your residency visa arrives. saying that you could be on your tourist visa doing the oman boarder run for a while. i have heard that if YOU have an international driving licence you can drive a bought car but again once you get your res visa forget it and jump in a cab as your breaking the law and if caught you'll be buried in the desert up to your neck.