Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to have tax free living in the UK?

Is it possible to have tax free living in the UK?

Old Jan 16th 2008, 6:41 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to have tax free living in the UK?

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
its a bit early! don't want to wake him
He'll be in his PJs listening to the Today programme if I'm not mistaken.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
He'll be in his PJs listening to the Today programme if I'm not mistaken.
dipping his soldiers into a soft boiled egg
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:11 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katett
Your reason for leaving the UK is one of the reasons i fear moving to Dubai.......i worry it will be full of brits who think like you! Sorry Norm but you live in a country that doesnt share your culture, values or language......oh but its tax free!! Dont you see the contradictions?
Not at all....because I am just working here legally. I have no possibility of getting nationality and asking for the benefits afforded to my hosts and present no burden to them as I have full private insurance to cover almost everything. I respect the local customs and culture and act within the law.

And I pay tax in the form of toll gates, car registration and utility bills (which are free for most nationals) etc.

If I was asking to be treated as an equal here there would be a contradiction...however I am not. I ask for nothing and just get on with my work until such time as I go somewhere else or am asked to leave.

N.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to the 'Phillip Green' comment.
I understand to get around paying any UK tax, he does not draw a salary.
All of his investments are in his wife's name, who is a permanent resident of Monaco, making their income in dividends via 'her' investments.
Clever? Or wrong in your eyes?
Lets hope for his sake that his wife doesn't fancy a divorce at some point in the future...
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:44 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon
Just to add to the 'Phillip Green' comment.
I understand to get around paying any UK tax, he does not draw a salary.
All of his investments are in his wife's name, who is a permanent resident of Monaco, making their income in dividends via 'her' investments.
Clever? Or wrong in your eyes?
Lets hope for his sake that his wife doesn't fancy a divorce at some point in the future...
Wrong, and secondly, she would get some of the assets in a divorce anyway.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

axlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant future

If there is a LEGAL loophole exploit it. Your not killing anyones granny
Old Jan 24th 2008, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Snowbunny, that is what I said!
'Lets hope for his sake that his wife doesn't fancy a divorce at some point in the future...'
means in a divorce his chances on getting a good percentage of assets would be very poor.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:03 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Snowbunny, that is what I said!
'Lets hope for his sake that his wife doesn't fancy a divorce at some point in the future...'
means in a divorce his chances on getting a good percentage of assets would be very poor.
What I meant was that even if the couple both lived in the UK and the assets were all in his name she'd be getting some of it anyway.

see also McCartney v McCartney
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
What I meant was that even if the couple both lived in the UK and the assets were all in his name she'd be getting some of it anyway.

see also McCartney v McCartney
yes but now he would only get some of the assets!
big difference!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:12 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
yes but now he would only get some of the assets!
big difference!
I imagine he's stashing away his tax savings and doesn't have many worries.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I imagine he's stashing away his tax savings and doesn't have many worries.
and if he wants to end the marriage he'll just get her bumped off!
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:05 am
Just Joined

AdamADR is an unknown quantity at this point

Not tax free, but placing your earnings through a ltd company will reduce tax 19%. It's something alot of my candidates do when returning to the UK from the luxuries of tax free status abroad.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

axlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant future

Tax free in essence but not in reality eh!
Old Mar 15th 2008, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but here goes

The 90 day rule on living in the Uk (which will include your entry and exit days from April 08), still means you will pay Uk tax on your Uk income.

I have heard a way around this although i am very sketchy on the details:

By having any Uk income paid to a limited company (can't remember whether this has to be a Uk or offshore limited co - please advise) and then having the income paid by invoice for 'services rendered' or such like which would mean you basically invoice the uk company (requires another company overseas in an off shore tax haven to invoice the Uk company).

Right or wrong, or maybe I have just got the details incorrectly. Either way comments please
Old Mar 15th 2008, 10:54 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but here goes

The 90 day rule on living in the Uk (which will include your entry and exit days from April 08), still means you will pay Uk tax on your Uk income.I have heard a way around this although i am very sketchy on the details:

By having any Uk income paid to a limited company (can't remember whether this has to be a Uk or offshore limited co - please advise) and then having the income paid by invoice for 'services rendered' or such like which would mean you basically invoice the uk company (requires another company overseas in an off shore tax haven to invoice the Uk company).

Right or wrong, or maybe I have just got the details incorrectly. Either way comments please

No it doesn't. Why don't people listen/read?

Can you explain your second sentance? it is garbled.

Is it 'resurrect old threads day' today??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.