Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Possible employment KSA

Possible employment KSA

Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible employment KSA

I am sure this sort of question has been asked before but after a lot of searching have not really been able to get all my answers.

Previously worked in Riyadh back in 2001 and also travelled around the ME on business for over 5 years although was based in the UK.

The reason for my post is this, I am going over to Dubai for an interview next week for a position based in Riyadh. Fairly basic, but I have been approached by the Saudi company following a conversation they had with a friend of mine who mentioned that I was considering coming back to KSA.

There is no job spec as they appear to be creating a position for me, so with that information what are salaries like at senior management level within industry. Would be looking for car, accommodation, medical, schooling flights etc. My basic in the UK is £100k and are these types of salaries still going around in KSA?

The good compounds still seem to be the same as when I was there like Arizona and Romaizon or are there other newer compounds that have been built recently. When I was out there stayed out at Arizona which was a wee bit out but I enjoyed it there.

For the folk that have been out there a while have things changed a lot or changed for the worse?

The one negative for me is building up my network again as I did enjoy my jaunts out to the various embassies purely for cultural exchange

Look forward to your replies.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible employment KSA

Originally Posted by MaserMan
I am sure this sort of question has been asked before but after a lot of searching have not really been able to get all my answers.

Previously worked in Riyadh back in 2001 and also travelled around the ME on business for over 5 years although was based in the UK.

The reason for my post is this, I am going over to Dubai for an interview next week for a position based in Riyadh. Fairly basic, but I have been approached by the Saudi company following a conversation they had with a friend of mine who mentioned that I was considering coming back to KSA.

There is no job spec as they appear to be creating a position for me, so with that information what are salaries like at senior management level within industry. Would be looking for car, accommodation, medical, schooling flights etc. My basic in the UK is £100k and are these types of salaries still going around in KSA?

The good compounds still seem to be the same as when I was there like Arizona and Romaizon or are there other newer compounds that have been built recently. When I was out there stayed out at Arizona which was a wee bit out but I enjoyed it there.

For the folk that have been out there a while have things changed a lot or changed for the worse?

The one negative for me is building up my network again as I did enjoy my jaunts out to the various embassies purely for cultural exchange

Look forward to your replies.
Riyadh 2001? Attended embassy functions? We probably know each other.....

Riyadh is far more relaxed than it was back then, but I'm not sure about the salary question - what industry are you in? In any case, look for an increase (overall) on your UK equivalent.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Welcome back or maybe inshallah or even maybe back to Riyadh.
Yes Riyadh is more relaxed as the Dean remarked the R.P. are not out in force There are a few newer compounds around, How ever the driving is maybe worse its crazy on the roads here in Riyadh.
Your base pay is doerble here at the moment.

Compound accom and the availablity is very tight, as always you need to be in the know and even pot luck really,
a couple of compounds have closed to refurbishment etc, so maybe if they reopen then it should not be a problem.
Depending on where you would be working could be multi $$$$ question.
There are lots of new projects being built here in Riyadh.

Networking !!! where ever you go to it takes time to meet up with new people it will not take time to build you social list again.
as long as you are a social person and not some one who stays in all the time.

If i can help any more please feel free to contact me via pm later.
I think you need to have about 5 /6 postings before you can pm.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Good to hear that things are more relaxed, saying that I remember what it was like after some bombs had gone off in Riyadh where your car was constantly being checked by security and parking suddenly became very easy on side streets

I remember thinking that it was crazy on the streets back then, although once I decided to drive rather than get taxi's everywhere it did not seem as bad, saying that I had a 6ltr american barge of a car which made you feel seasick if you tried to drive it quickly through corners but was big that it gave a sense of security although that might not have been the case if it had ever been hit. The worse time was always at ramadan when the broke fast in the evening, that was crazy

Just picking up on the relaxed bit, does that also include what women can do, or is that still pretty strict?
Old Apr 24th 2010, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Some compounds are very very tight re security it can take at least 1 hour on a good day to get in.
Driving as i said is just crazy i must see about 2-3 bad every week now on the ring road.

Not a lot has changed re ladies and what they can do i suppose it is a little more relaxed than 10 years ago but not much.
As i said the R.P. arent really around much these days i have nt seen any for a while now.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

what's R.P.?
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

religeous rozzers
Old Apr 25th 2010, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
what's R.P.?
The muttaween aren't really religious 'police' at all (although that's how everyone thinks of them) because - officially - they have no powers (can't arrest anyone, particularly a woman, unless accompanied by a police officer, etc) but they have got round all that by intimidation, basically.

Still, as others have said, they don't seem to be around much these days.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the help, fly out tomorrow, so will see how things go.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

article in the national today on hoe boss of religeous police actually thinks it is ok for sexes to mix!! caused quite a controversy and the fact that he hasn't been booted out is seen as a positive sign by moderate block
Old May 7th 2010, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

momer79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am a british national and working in IT field in UK. I am thinking about moving to saudi arabia. I have been applying for jobs online but never got any reply, is it becuase saudis can get cheap labour in their country and don't preffer UK/USA citizens?

Regards,
Momer
Old May 7th 2010, 3:25 pm
Shikra

shikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond reputeshikra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Riyadh 2001? Attended embassy functions? We probably know each other.....

Riyadh is far more relaxed than it was back then, but I'm not sure about the salary question - what industry are you in? In any case, look for an increase (overall) on your UK equivalent.
Dean, do the functions/parties happen in the Eastern province also? if yes, let me know as I am searching for them badly from the last few months
Old May 26th 2010, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all the help, have now been offered the job and am now currently in negotiation

Main thing would seem to be to get a decent compound, but am still waiting to find out what they are offering. Car, medical, holidays are pretty much sorted.

Was at Al Hamra at the weekend for dinner with friends and that seems to still be one of the best, although they have said that there is a long waiting time.

The thing that really surprised me was that the holiday inn izdehar was an old BAe compound that I remember from early 2000, bit of a come down as I usually stayed in the Intercon or Hyatt
Old May 26th 2010, 4:15 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

You have presumably read this thread...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669291
Old May 26th 2010, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lionheart
You have presumably read this thread...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=669291
I have, but as family are not out for a while not overly concerned.

Cannot understand the amount of anti-Saudi retoric that goes on in this forum, there are much worse things happening around the ME that do not get raised here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.