Reload this Page >

Possibility of Moving to Qatar - working as a Doctor GP

Possibility of Moving to Qatar - working as a Doctor GP

Old Jan 18th 2019, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

LollyGagMiss is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Possibility of Moving to Qatar - working as a Doctor GP

Thank you All for your Advice..

Qatar for us is purely to make some savings, we enjoy social events and friends, but don't require pubs, or nightlife as we don't do that here in the UK. so I wont feel like I'm missing out if I don't experience any of that in Qatar. Life in the UK is basically all work, hardly seeing family and having minimal savings to show for it.

I myself would also think about working during the school hours if I can find work, but my husband would be the main earner.

I expect Qatar to be similar to Egypt, I lived there for three years when I was in my early 20's and enjoyed most of my time there. ,My time in Qatar if I don't find suitable work, will hopefully be some volunteer work, gym, and learning to speak Arabic I guess.

A rough breakdown of what he is being offered in his contract is:
Basic Salary: QR 25000
Professional Allowance: QR 3750
Transport Allowance: QR 1250
Market Allowance: QR 11250
Total Monthly Allowance will be: QR 41250

Housing is provided
School fees Allowance: QR 21,000 per child
Electricity and Water charges: QR 600
Telephone: QR 150 every three months
40 days annual leave

What is everyone's views regarding that package?

I have a child started year 7 soon, I would probably stay until he was 18 and ready for uni.
Universities in Qatar are stupidly high priced, so I would come back with him to enrol him into a university. I understand I will have to pay the over seas student fees due to being out of the country for a while... does anyone no if you can apply for home fees once back in the UK and have been studying for a certain amount of time? say after three years in Uni, paying overseas student prices, can we apply for Home student fees... Over seas student fees will still be cheaper than Qatar university prices, and hopefully in ther years working in Qatar we will have saved up enough to pay uni fees.... here's hoping
Old Jan 19th 2019, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibility of Moving to Qatar - working as a Doctor GP

Qatar and Egypt are totally different societies. You will not be able to "switch" from overseas student rate to home studenr rate. If he starts as an overseas student he will continue in that category. He is now 7 ? And you are alkreday planning his university career for him ?

Learninbg Arabic is not easy. Attempring this in the Heartland of Arabic is even more difficult. problems starting with choosing what variety of Arabic to learn and the great difficulty in finding a competent and affordable teacher.

Frankly, I feel that if you cannot save on a GP's income in Britain, then I think savings in Qatar are also unlikely.

Last edited by scot47; Jan 19th 2019 at 12:48 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

ReesanDemha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LollyGagMiss

Qatar for us is purely to make some savings, we enjoy social events and friends, but don't require pubs, or nightlife as we don't do that here in the UK. so I wont feel like I'm missing out if I don't experience any of that in Qatar. Life in the UK is basically all work, hardly seeing family and having minimal savings to show for it.

I myself would also think about working during the school hours if I can find work, but my husband would be the main earner.

I expect Qatar to be similar to Egypt, I lived there for three years when I was in my early 20's and enjoyed most of my time there. ,My time in Qatar if I don't find suitable work, will hopefully be some volunteer work, gym, and learning to speak Arabic I guess.

Housing is provided
40 days annual leave

I have a child started year 7 soon, I would probably stay until he was 18 and ready for uni.
Universities in Qatar are stupidly high priced, so I would come back with him to enrol him into a university. I understand I will have to pay the over seas student fees due to being out of the country for a while... does anyone no if you can apply for home fees once back in the UK and have been studying for a certain amount of time? say after three years in Uni, paying overseas student prices, can we apply for Home student fees... Over seas student fees will still be cheaper than Qatar university prices, and hopefully in ther years working in Qatar we will have saved up enough to pay uni fees.... here's hoping
Your main gain is not paying any income tax in Qatar, but factor in that cost of living here is expensive, although your housing is provided. Time flies so planning for University early is sensible - we didn't even think about it 5 years ago, and our oldest is now doing iGCSEs getting ready for the move back for A'levels in September 2019. We are planning on moving back so he is a UK student when he applies for University. You can check the residency rules on the WWW.GOV.UK website. Good luck.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

ReesanDemha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
Qatar and Egypt are totally different societies. You will not be able to "switch" from overseas student rate to home studenr rate. If he starts as an overseas student he will continue in that category. He is now 7 ? And you are alkreday planning his university career for him ?

Learninbg Arabic is not easy. Attempring this in the Heartland of Arabic is even more difficult. problems starting with choosing what variety of Arabic to learn and the great difficulty in finding a competent and affordable teacher.

Frankly, I feel that if you cannot save on a GP's income in Britain, then I think savings in Qatar are also unlikely.
Agree with your comments on learning arabic, especially given there are so many dialects and local phrases that only locals will understand, and Google translate won't help you. Plus the hybrid languages that pop up due to the high level of mainly indian expats. I stick to the Arabic of the Quran, for its purity and eloquence, for my arabic studies !
Old Oct 8th 2019, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

ZeeJay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LollyGagMiss

Housing is provided
40 days annual leave

Even we were not used to go to pubs and nightclubs, still we found this place dead. You atleast need family, friends and a bit of culture of middle class to create a vibrant city. Unless you are coming from outside London, you wouldn't like this dead place at all. People can die but cannot move on their foot partly due to weather and partly due to the laziness this hot weather has created over the years. Unhealthy lifestyle and even no exposure to the society make kids dumb and aloof too. Let me know your experience if you have already arrived and don't agree to what I said.