Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Poss moving to Sharjah - Advice needed!!

Poss moving to Sharjah - Advice needed!!

Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:44 am
Just Joined

GinaBean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Poss moving to Sharjah - Advice needed!!

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, having signed up because of a possible move to Sharjah with my husband's work.

We're still in discussion stages, but at the moment I'm a bit wobbly about it - we have three small children, 5, 3 and 3mths, the oldest of which is about to start school.

I'm sure housing/allowance is in the offer, and a car. However, I'm more concerned from my point of view being "mum at home" what it's like living out there, what kind of things there are to do with the children, what the schools are like, what life is like really. I don't want to be stuck somewhere feeling very lonely while hubby is at work.

I've lived abroad before, but that was before children, and as soon as they come into the frame it's a different story - friends, family etc.

Any advice/comments would be most welcome. What's this "sponsorship" thing? What about visas (honestly, we haven't looked into anything yet and having read a few threads I'm thinking "what on earth.....?") Also, clubs to join, sporting facilities, all that sort of thing.

Oh - and what's it really like for me out there - what do I have to wear? What's driving like?

blah blah blah....

Thanks in advance!!

Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:12 am

Coxy the Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Poss moving to Sharjah - Advice needed!!

I personally wouldn't live in Sharjah again. But thats my personal opinion, it's dry for a start and there is nothing to doo. Very dusty, I suffer from asthma, and since moving to Int City, it's been infinitely better.......yes, I am going to give up smoking....one day!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that. On the map it doesn't look far (about 6 miles?) so maybe city living would be better and the other half can commute!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:42 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

no one in there right mind would commute! it would take ages. Wai til Sinderelle comes on, she lives in Sharjah. I wouldn't mind moving to Sharjah but husbands job ties us to Dubai, unfortunately
Old Apr 10th 2008, 11:55 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaBean View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, having signed up because of a possible move to Sharjah with my husband's work.

We're still in discussion stages, but at the moment I'm a bit wobbly about it - we have three small children, 5, 3 and 3mths, the oldest of which is about to start school.

I'm sure housing/allowance is in the offer, and a car. However, I'm more concerned from my point of view being "mum at home" what it's like living out there, what kind of things there are to do with the children, what the schools are like, what life is like really. I don't want to be stuck somewhere feeling very lonely while hubby is at work.

I've lived abroad before, but that was before children, and as soon as they come into the frame it's a different story - friends, family etc.

Any advice/comments would be most welcome. What's this "sponsorship" thing? What about visas (honestly, we haven't looked into anything yet and having read a few threads I'm thinking "what on earth.....?") Also, clubs to join, sporting facilities, all that sort of thing.

Oh - and what's it really like for me out there - what do I have to wear? What's driving like?

blah blah blah....

Thanks in advance!!

you can shoot things there mind you.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Although everywhere looks close together on a map, be mindful that commuting from Sharjah to Dubai can take anything up to two hours. However, there are plenty of places on the border, so do not despair. Schooling in Sharjah is okay and, although traffic is highly congested, its probably easier to drive there than in Dubai where high speed prevails.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:18 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
Although everywhere looks close together on a map, be mindful that commuting from Sharjah to Dubai can take anything up to two hours. However, there are plenty of places on the border, so do not despair. Schooling in Sharjah is okay and, although traffic is highly congested, its probably easier to drive there than in Dubai where high speed prevails.
Thought OP said hubby was working in Sharjah, therefore if living in Dubai, the commute would be against traffic surely
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fairydust View Post
Thought OP said hubby was working in Sharjah, therefore if living in Dubai, the commute would be against traffic surely
From bitter experience, there hardly ever seems to be an "against traffic" experience on the Sharjah-Dubai highway. Its always chock a block.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Well that puts paid to that then! So much for Google Earth...
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Best thing to do is get yourself and your hubby over here for a few days, hire a car and see everywhere for yourself.
Nothing like getting a feel for somewhere first hand. (no puns please)
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

I wasn't intending to put you off completely...after all, there are plenty of alternative routes to/from Sharjah. Anyway, if you live there and your kids go to school there, why drive to Dubai except for your weekend entertainment. Also, the Metro will be up and running fairly soon.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't intending to put you off completely...after all, there are plenty of alternative routes to/from Sharjah. Anyway, if you live there and your kids go to school there, why drive to Dubai except for your weekend entertainment. Also, the Metro will be up and running fairly soon.
Isnt the first part of the Metro late 2009?
And most of it 2010-2012, especially the outer reaches to the borders.
If that is soon, then I will die soon...
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:24 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

the Metro doesn't run to Sharjah
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:48 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Location: Originally Cornwall, 12 years in the Middle East, NSW now
sinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of light

Only got a min 'now' as friends expected for the evening, but here's a start

Schools

3 mainly for British kids

http://www.victoriaenglishschool.ae - mine goes here and has done for 3 years and loves it - on the Sharjah/Ajman Border

http://www.seschool.ae/ - friends that work here and love it on Sharjah/Dubai border

http://www.scholarsinternational.com/ - got a g/f whose girls go to Scholars - on the Sharjah/Dubai border

Sharjah's not as Cosmopolitan as Dubai but more laid back, yes it is 'dry' but what you do in your own home, in my opinion, is your own lookout, been here 3 years and no probs

Biggest Mall is the Sahara Centre, on the Sharjah/Dubai border http://www.saharacentre.com/

Clubs? as in beach/sport? Sharjah Ladies Club, http://www.slc.ae/
Coral Beach Resort on the Sharjah/Ajman Border does a membership or you can pay as you go to use their beach/pool/gym/tennis courts http://www.coral-international.com/b...ID=301&MID=130
Ajman Kempinski has a membership for leisure club, gym, pool etc. They also have a bowling alley and sports bar downstairs being as it's in Ajman and not 'dry'

Outside Inn, were friends and I can be seen quite regularly, bar upstairs and down, pool tables, outside seating area overlooking the beach so that the kids can play (when it's not too hot)

The Wanderers Club - http://www.sharjahwanderers.com/ the ONLY place you can drink legally in Sharjah

Hope that keeps you going

As for 'dress' the other can fill you in on that but basically i believe in this 'the less you wear, the more they stare' No mini-skirts/short tops (belly showing) strappy tops and longer shorts seem to be somewhat more acceptable these days in the Shopping Malls, you just might get a few chipmunk tuts as you walk past from the local ladies, or a few phone numbers dropped at your feet by the local men (but that's a whole different thread)

LOL

Anything else, just ask, email if you want - [email protected]

Gotta split, friends on way
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:51 pm
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Location: Originally Cornwall, 12 years in the Middle East, NSW now
sinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of light

BTW I also suffer from Asthma, however, since living outside of the UK, I've been tons better.

Can't think it's any dustier in Sharjah than it is anywhere else, howver, it was the damp spores in the mould in the UK that used to set me off, so the dry, sun is great for my chest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.