British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Police caution - Visa to Saudi Arabia help and advice? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/police-caution-visa-saudi-arabia-help-advice-932552/)

nodam22 May 4th 2020 10:08 pm

Police caution - Visa to Saudi Arabia help and advice?

Hey all, I hope you are well.

A year and a half ago I did something really stupid and took £20 that fell from a shop register thinking no one had seen me. It was a really childish mistake, though I'm over 21, and I received a police caution for it deservedly. I have just received an offer at a University in KSA to study there but I am worried my visa will get rejected because this will show up on the police certificate. I think it is a work visa or residence permit or student visa but I don't know.

Does anyone have any experience with getting visas for Saudi with a police caution? How do these things usually pan out?

Millhouse May 5th 2020 10:18 am

Re: Police caution - Visa to Saudi Arabia help and advice?

This story is a lesson in poor judgement - not the picking up of the 20quid, but the decision to study at a university in KSA.

I understand that you may be going for some kind of religious or cultural enlightenment, but academically and from a prospect's perspective they will be totally wasted years.

nodam22 May 5th 2020 10:25 am

Ok, great, I'll think about that. I don't suppose you know about police cautions and eligibility for visas though?

Millhouse May 5th 2020 10:42 am

Originally Posted by nodam22 (Post 12848569)
Ok, great, I'll think about that. I don't suppose you know about police cautions and eligibility for visas though?

It's always an unknown, you apply for the visa and find out the hard way.

Cautions are probably ok, although if you're really unlucky they might chop off a finger or two as a retrospective punishment for your theft before issuing the visa.

weasel decentral May 5th 2020 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by nodam22 (Post 12848378)
Hey all, I hope you are well.

A year and a half ago I did something really stupid and took £20 that fell from a shop register thinking no one had seen me.

My bullshit radar is already bleeping. That aside - get the visa form and see if they ask for police clearance. I'm guessing that they will - and if they do it's unlikely you'll be granted a visa.

This website says its required https://www.saudiembassy.net/student-visa

HiHo May 5th 2020 1:17 pm

You don't have a criminal record.
You wont get a degree worth the paper its printed on if you study in KSA.
All the Saudis study abroad unless they are disadvantaged or wealth but too dumb to get a real degree.
Given that your over 21 I have to assume your planning to take an Msc. In which case you are already more qualified than the lecture/head of faculty.

scot47 May 9th 2020 6:28 pm

I imagine that the poster is going to study islamic Theology (Wahabi and Salafist version)

nodam22 May 10th 2020 8:06 pm

For clarification, as much I wish it was bullshit, I do have a criminal record for the aforementioned crime - it is a police caution. I would be studying in the Red Sea Research Center as a biologist, already holding a master's degree. Why the negativity surrounding Saudi degrees? A lot of the associated academics seem to have their head screwed on right and have qualifications from other major European universities, is there something I am missing here?

Millhouse May 11th 2020 9:51 am

Originally Posted by nodam22 (Post 12851005)
For clarification, as much I wish it was bullshit, I do have a criminal record for the aforementioned crime - it is a police caution. I would be studying in the Red Sea Research Center as a biologist, already holding a master's degree. Why the negativity surrounding Saudi degrees? A lot of the associated academics seem to have their head screwed on right and have qualifications from other major European universities, is there something I am missing here?

Yes. Those guys are there for the money.

HiHo May 11th 2020 1:18 pm

Nodam, How the hell can someone spend so long in the education system without developing at least a rudimentary understating of criminal law. A police caution is given when it is decide that it is not in the public interest for the CPS to pursue a criminal prosecution. In the event a prosecution is brought it will be tried in a court in which case a decision on guilt will be handed down buy a judge. In the event a judge had found you guilty then and only then would a record of the criminality have been made. Under British law you are innocent until proven guilty. This is not bullshit it is the law of the land, your forebears worked, fort and died to win you such freedoms.

Pollyana May 11th 2020 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by HiHo (Post 12851314)
Nodam, How the hell can someone spend so long in the education system without developing at least a rudimentary understating of criminal law. A police caution is given when it is decide that it is not in the public interest for the CPS to pursue a criminal prosecution. In the event a prosecution is brought it will be tried in a court in which case a decision on guilt will be handed down buy a judge. In the event a judge had found you guilty then and only then would a record of the criminality have been made. Under British law you are innocent until proven guilty. This is not bullshit it is the law of the land, your forebears worked, fort and died to win you such freedoms.

One should note though that in order to accept a caution the person has to admit to committing the crime for which he/she is being cautioned. If not guilty then one can refuse to accept the caution and take their chance with CPS & courts. .

christmasoompa May 11th 2020 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12851352)
One should note though that in order to accept a caution the person has to admit to committing the crime for which he/she is being cautioned.

And that cautions show up on criminal record checks such as ACPO.

Millhouse May 11th 2020 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by HiHo (Post 12851314)

It seems that you’ve not had sex in a while.

nodam22 May 11th 2020 3:48 pm

Let's keep all that negativity to a minimum please, I have real concern here. Of course I understand the law around my own police caution. It will show up on an ACRO police certificate. Does anyone know if Saudi will be concerned with this minor offence or has seen an example where this has/hasn't been a problem?

I'm also interested into hearing more accounts on study in Saudi from those who know?

Thank you to all who have responded so far.

weasel decentral May 12th 2020 3:50 am

Originally Posted by nodam22 (Post 12851379)
Let's keep all that negativity to a minimum please, I have real concern here. Of course I understand the law around my own police caution. It will show up on an ACRO police certificate. Does anyone know if Saudi will be concerned with this minor offence or has seen an example where this has/hasn't been a problem?

I'm also interested into hearing more accounts on study in Saudi from those who know?

Thank you to all who have responded so far.

My experience has been anyone getting a work visa, a police caution equals no visa. The website for applying for a student visa - shows that they ask this question, i'd say it's unlikely. Why Saudi universities are not considered worthwhile? Poor tuition, suspect results etc. equals worthless qualification.