Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

PM job offer in Dubai needs help plzz..

PM job offer in Dubai needs help plzz..

Old Jun 27th 2011, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

hmuzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PM job offer in Dubai needs help plzz..

Hi I m british pakistani lives in London we are family of 4 husband wife n two kids one is 3 and other is 1 my husband works in credit card terminals company he is a software eng got a job offer from dubai company for the role of project manager .. he has 15years exp in his feild we are confused with the offer it does'nt seem too good .Is it possible to negiciate on pakage with the company is it common in dubai to negociate with the pakage ?.. and how much we should ask for .. His pakage details r below

75k USD Yearly which makes 23500 AED monthly
medical just for my husband
air ticket to back home once a year just for my husband
2000 USD relocation allownce
no accomodation
no school fee allowenc
waiting for helpfulladvices many thanks.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PM job offer in Dubai needs help plzz..

Welcome to BE!

And always negotiate, even if you get a good offer, it's a mug who doesn't.

Not getting some schooling/accommodation allowance is usually a bad thing
Old Jun 28th 2011, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

without schooling, accommodation, health insurance and flights home for the family, you will really struggle on that salary...

MM, xx
Old Jun 28th 2011, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
without schooling, accommodation, health insurance and flights home for the family, you will really struggle on that salary...

MM, xx
Quite. I guess they didn't look at the other thread of a guy debating if a 120k USD salary is enough for a 1 child family...

With 3 kids, I would want 200k USD all in as an absolute minimum.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

Originally Posted by hmuzz
75k USD Yearly which makes 23500 AED monthly
medical just for my husband
air ticket to back home once a year just for my husband
2000 USD relocation allownce
no accomodation
no school fee allowenc
waiting for helpfulladvices many thanks.
Dont do it.

You will struggle on this, considering half the salary will go towards rent.

I would not go to Dubai for less than 200,000 USD.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well....

There are expatriate families straight from India and Pakistan who have that income and live decently enough. But they live in places like Sharjah, Al Ghusais, Karama, Bur Dubai, International City or TECOM, and they send their children to the Indian/Pakistan international schools, which are much, much cheaper.

In other words, you won't be living a western expat-standard lifestyle, but you can probably do it. Just don't expect to save money at the end of the day. Or travel. Or drive anything nicer than a cheap Corolla or Sunny. At the same time, when things go wrong you won't have much of a cushion to bolster you till good times return (what happens if your husband gets sacked and there isn't enough money in the till to pay for three extra return flights to the UK?).

That your husband's package offer only includes medical and flight for him and not the rest of his family tells you all you really need to know. It ain't worth it.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Well....

There are expatriate families straight from India and Pakistan who have that income and live decently enough. But they live in places like Sharjah, Al Ghusais, Karama, Bur Dubai, International City or TECOM, and they send their children to the Indian/Pakistan international schools, which are much, much cheaper.
Good point.

However I cannot see the Pakistani and Indians welcoming a British of Pakistani origin as one of their own. I have had heard of stories of people having 1st hand experience of discrimination/ alienation against their own for simply being born and raised in UK. Despite being Indian or Pakistani by origin, they will still regard you as an outsider "Ajnabi".

I also think there is a huge culture gap also. So for her kids to blend in would be more or less impossible.

Last edited by Desert Shaikh; Jun 29th 2011 at 11:39 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

umair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant future

The above package may be good for you if you manage to live in other city like Ajman or Sharjah because their you will find cheap accommodation. Living in sharjah will be a problem for you, you will waste your much time on traffic jams from Sharjah to Dubai route. While if you live in Ajman you have to suffer long travels and this option is ok if you have a DL and your own car.

If you live in dubai then I don't think you will be able to save money from this offer.

Thanks.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

RedRoar75 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not a great package - as one of the posters said, the fact they are only offering medical for your husband should set the alarm bells ringing. Medical costs could be a piece of string - especially with kids, even for this point alone, I'd avoid. The salary does look v low, given your husbands experience - I'd definitely try and hawk it around some recruitment agencies to get a real sense of what the appropriate pay should be.

However, people claiming they would not do it for less than 200,000 USD are insane. That's the equivalent of 130,000 GBP per annum. Yes, if you want to live in the Meadows, both have 4x4's and send ur kids to one of the particularly overpriced schools popular with expat crowd this year.

Think about it people (130GBP is the equivalent of 260K per annum in the UK as it's tax free). I cannot for the life of me, believe that people on here think its impossible for a WESTERN EXPAT family to exist on less in Dubai. You don't have to have 2 car loans - you think you do because your friends from Jumeirah do. You don't have to send your kids to Kings or Repton - the equivalent std of schooling can be found at half the price elsewhere. Guess what, you'll still be happy and you can still eat out..

I think some people on here, need a reality check and will prob get one when back in the UK, sharing a family Mondeo.

Last edited by RedRoar75; Jul 5th 2011 at 2:13 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RedRoar75
It's not a great package - as one of the posters said, the fact they are only offering medical for your husband should set the alarm bells ringing. Medical costs could be a piece of string - especially with kids, even for this point along, I'd avoid. The salary does look v low, given your husbands experience - I'd definitely try and hawk it around some recruitment agencies to get a real sense of what the appropriate pay should be.

However, people claiming they would not do it for less than 200,000 USD are insane. That's the equivalent of 130,000 GBP per annum. Yes, if you want to live in the Meadows, both have 4x4's and send ur kids to one of the particularly overpriced schools popular with expat crowd this year.

Think about it people (130GBP is the equivalent of 260K per annum in the UK as it's tax free). I cannot for the life of me, believe that people on here think its impossible for a WESTERN EXPAT family to exist on less in Dubai. You don't have to have 2 car loans - you think you because your friends from Jumeirah do. You don't have to send your kids to Kings or Repton - the equivalent std of schooling can be found at half the price elsewhere. Guess what, you'll still be happy and you can still eat out..

I think some people on here, need a reality check and will prob get one when back in the UK, sharing a family Mondeo.
ps. We moved a family of 4 from a small 3 bedder in the UK. We didnt even bring everything and it cost the best part of 4.5 grand sterling.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:11 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

A point needs clarification. Just because the income you are paid in the UAE is paid tax-free, it does not necessarily mean that the individual will not have any UK tax liabilities. This very much depends on the date of departure, how long they remain out of the UK and quite possibly other issues with effect from April 2012.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

It's not a great package - as one of the posters said, the fact they are only offering medical for your husband should set the alarm bells ringing. Medical costs could be a piece of string - especially with kids, even for this point alone, I'd avoid. The salary does look v low, given your husbands experience - I'd definitely try and hawk it around some recruitment agencies to get a real sense of what the appropriate pay should be.

Think about it people (130GBP is the equivalent of 260K per annum in the UK as it's tax free). I cannot for the life of me, believe that people on here think its impossible for a WESTERN EXPAT family to exist on less in Dubai. You don't have to have 2 car loans - you think you do because your friends from Jumeirah do. You don't have to send your kids to Kings or Repton - the equivalent std of schooling can be found at half the price elsewhere. Guess what, you'll still be happy and you can still eat out..

thanks for ur reply they said in new offer letter they will provide full family medical and family return tickets to uk once a year with the salary of 75000usd makes 23000 per month do u think is it ok my son wont go to school for this yr he will start school next yr n we r thinking to send him in normal (med coast ) school fora yr do u think is it ok ? i mean this salery is ok to live there happily n save lil bit ( we r planning to live in 2bd normal appt whicj coast not more then 55aed per year . many thanks
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

ps. We moved a family of 4 from a small 3 bedder in the UK. We didnt even bring everything and it cost the best part of 4.5 grand sterling.
thanks for ur reply they said in new offer letter they will provide full family medical and family return tickets to uk once a year with the salary of 75000usd makes 23000 per month do u think is it ok my son wont go to school for this yr he will start school next yr n we r thinking to send him in normal (med coast ) school fora yr do u think is it ok ? i mean this salery is ok to live there happily n save lil bit ( we r planning to live in 2bd normal appt whicj coast not more then 55aed per year . many thanks
Old Jul 5th 2011, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

So what is Pakistani British ? ****** Americanisms infecting the world

This really gets on my wick. If you want to be Pakistani then be a Pakistani living in Britain
If you want to be British living in Britain then all well and good

Do you think you are worth less than a white British because at some point in the past one of your relatives came over on the gravy train from Islamabad ?

If you want an assessment of your offer. If you are Pakistani then its good, rip their hand off and sign on the dotted line. If you are British then its low and reject it

Make your mind up on who you think you are and accept or reject accordingly.

And dont believe those who say its ok to come out on a shite salary because it isnt and sharing a Corrolla or Sunny would be a right royal pain in the ass

Yours lovingly, a Norman Celtish Gaelic, Englishman who probably has a few Af genes thrown into the melting pot as well
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
So what is Pakistani British ? ****** Americanisms infecting the world

This really gets on my wick. If you want to be Pakistani then be a Pakistani living in Britain
If you want to be British living in Britain then all well and good

Do you think you are worth less than a white British because at some point in the past one of your relatives came over on the gravy train from Islamabad ?

If you want an assessment of your offer. If you are Pakistani then its good, rip their hand off and sign on the dotted line. If you are British then its low and reject it

Make your mind up on who you think you are and accept or reject accordingly.

And dont believe those who say its ok to come out on a shite salary because it isnt and sharing a Corrolla or Sunny would be a right royal pain in the ass

Yours lovingly, a Norman Celtish Gaelic, Englishman who probably has a few Af genes thrown into the melting pot as well
Think you're missing the point totally - its not about not knowing who you are, it's about being proud of who you are. The term paints a picture of who you are - a British Pakistani person has a different culture to a British person and for that matter, a Pakistani person. British Indians and British Pakistani's have grown up over the past 20-30 years & have struggled to find their own identity - who the frick are you to define it for them?

Your advice is crap anyway - if you're a Pakistani guy currently living in Britain, the salary would still not be attractive (regardless of where you were born).

I dont think anyone has said that it's a ok salary to come out on, have they? My point was that you don't have to be on a 200K USD salary to be comfortable etc etc

Last edited by RedRoar75; Jul 5th 2011 at 7:37 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.