Plumbing in Dubai

Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:59 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Simon_bigmove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plumbing in Dubai

Hi there,

I'm looking to start up in Dubai and take advantage of the weather and the tax breaks!

I've been looking into all the things I need to do and know and am still not sure how its going to work when I'm out there.

Does anyone have any advice for me in terms of all the things you wish you knew before you went out there?

Any tips for setting up would be much appreciated

Thanks everybody

-Simon
Simon_bigmove is offline  
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:14 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,287
admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumbing in Dubai

Only way you are going to earn cash here as a plumber is to set up in your own business (that will cost you circa aed60k including 1st year sponsorship) and target western expats.

Plumbing here is mickey mouse on an epic scale. Plastic is the order of the day, usually held together with either/or/combination of chewing gum/sweaty old cloth/bit of sellotape found in the garden.

There is a firm here called Jim'll Fix It, who have positioned themselves as general fix its to the expat market, but there is room for more.

You would be better making yourself a 'general maintenence' man, rather than a plumber exclusively.

There you go, youve caught me in a good mood (I've just abused bangleman), as normally a post like yours would be an easy target.

all the best
admon is offline  
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:23 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Simon_bigmove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Plumbing in Dubai

Hi admon,

Thanks for your optimism! useful advice though I'll probably go down the handy man route. A couple of questions though.

Do my qualifications count over there?
You said 60 k to set up, where did you get this figure from?

any books, companies or websites I should get in touch with to learn more?

Also whats the construction situation like at the moment? I heard is was worse there than it is here since the economic downturn, is this true?

Thanks mate,

Simon
Simon_bigmove is offline  
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:36 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
CeeBee's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 656
CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Plumbing in Dubai

Originally Posted by admon View Post
Only way you are going to earn cash here as a plumber is to set up in your own business (that will cost you circa aed60k including 1st year sponsorship) and target western expats.

Plumbing here is mickey mouse on an epic scale. Plastic is the order of the day, usually held together with either/or/combination of chewing gum/sweaty old cloth/bit of sellotape found in the garden.

There is a firm here called Jim'll Fix It, who have positioned themselves as general fix its to the expat market, but there is room for more.

You would be better making yourself a 'general maintenence' man, rather than a plumber exclusively.

There you go, youve caught me in a good mood (I've just abused bangleman), as normally a post like yours would be an easy target.

all the best
I semi agree...

The standard of plumbing is sh*t. There are no other words to describe it. Most things are push fit generally put in place by unskilled workforces.

A western face would possibly go down a treat out here as there's nothing more frustrating sometimes than trying to get yourself across to people who only ever say 'ok' even if they don't understand.

Anyway, the one potential problem would be in places like JBR which are shockingly built. I think we have Idama which are the maintenance and general repair company. They charge 50 Dhs an hour I think and although they're not always great the one thing they are is cheap and honest.

Don't want to put a downer on plumbers but the amount of times i and countless others have been ripped off by plumbers in the uk is beyond a joke. Most of the ones i've come across are lazy, expensive and nothing but chancers.

There's money to be made though for sure - especially if you can get into the fast food chains, supermarkets and schools on emergency call outs and whatnot.

Best of luck!
CeeBee is offline  
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:45 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,287
admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumbing in Dubai

I more than semi agree with CeeBee..

Don't kid yourself, if you come here you are facing a first year of making no money while you get yourself established, with no promise of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Things are bad here construction wise at the moment - thousands have been laid off, with more to come. Most projects have just stopped. Only prospect is pitching yourself at the fixit end of the market.

Qualifications wont matter a tosh if you are working for yourself, people will judge on the work done.
The aed60k cost is a fact, I've done it and if you are serious I can put you in touch with 2 companies that do it, when you are on your way out here for your first visit.

Don't think that this is going to be easy. If you haven't got access to £60k gbp, I doubt you will make it through the first year, as you will need that to live basically, set yourself up and keep going while you attempt to build up work.

If you are considering work for a company as a plumber here, don't bother, there are a million south east asians in front of you happy to take less than 2000dhs a month.
admon is offline  
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:46 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Shehryar's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 166
Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Plumbing in Dubai

Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
There's money to be made though for sure - especially if you can get into the fast food chains, supermarkets and schools on emergency call outs and whatnot.
Fair enough..but would local-owned, Indian-managed businesses here really go for Western plumbers as opposed to the cheap and cheerful (and incompetent) Indian handymen? The latter would cost a fraction of the rates any Western expat would expect, and in the current cost-cutting environment, it would be hard for a procurement manager to justify going for a 'qualified' plumber at 10x the cost...

Agree that there is potential market targeting Western expats and homeowners...but less so for businesses, IMHO at least.
Shehryar is offline  
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:50 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,287
admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumbing in Dubai

Originally Posted by Shehryar View Post
Fair enough..but would local-owned, Indian-managed businesses here really go for Western plumbers as opposed to the cheap and cheerful (and incompetent) Indian handymen? The latter would cost a fraction of the rates any Western expat would expect, and in the current cost-cutting environment, it would be hard for a procurement manager to justify going for a 'qualified' plumber at 10x the cost...

Agree that there is potential market targeting Western expats and homeowners...but less so for businesses, IMHO at least.
Agree with you 100%. His market is western expats. Full stop.
admon is offline  
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:03 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Simon_bigmove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Plumbing in Dubai

Thanks guys, all useful info.

Fortunetely, I have the cash to spend the first year establishing myself.

I hadn't bargained for the competition for less skilled indians but thats fine. I figure the brits will want someone who'll do a good job (i hope!!)

What I need to know is that I've been looking at websites like startupoverseas.co.uk , has anyone else used this site? Whats everyones thoughts on sites like this one. Do they tell you everything you need to know?

Where else should I be going for information on working and licences etc?

Thanks everyone for your quick responses!

Simon
Simon_bigmove is offline  
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:09 pm
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,287
admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumbing in Dubai

Originally Posted by Simon_bigmove View Post
Thanks guys, all useful info.

Fortunetely, I have the cash to spend the first year establishing myself.

I hadn't bargained for the competition for less skilled indians but thats fine. I figure the brits will want someone who'll do a good job (i hope!!)

What I need to know is that I've been looking at websites like startupoverseas.co.uk , has anyone else used this site? Whats everyones thoughts on sites like this one. Do they tell you everything you need to know?

Where else should I be going for information on working and licences etc?

Thanks everyone for your quick responses!

Simon
forget the website, its a load of corporate toss, with the usual official BS you can find on a thousand websites. Doesn't actually tell you a lot that is practical..

the aed 60k will set you up fully on your own , you will have to pay a sponsor (the emirati business that sorts you out) around aed16k per year.

I will PM you, with some details..
admon is offline  
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:09 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Shehryar's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 166
Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Plumbing in Dubai

Originally Posted by Simon_bigmove View Post
I hadn't bargained for the competition for less skilled indians but thats fine. I figure the brits will want someone who'll do a good job (i hope!!)
Someone who can speak the language would be a good starting point

Yes, Westerners will pay for quality but as you have noted, the competition will be intense.

I don't mean to be rude, but if you have enough cash to last you a year, and are willing to take big risks with it, wouldn't you be better off investing in a business in the UK? I left London three years ago, but can't imagine things have changed so drastically that a competent and honest plumber cannot make a good living anymore? The 'good' plumbers in my area all had plenty of business; there were so many 'cowboys' around, so there was always scope for quality!
Shehryar is offline  
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:16 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Simon_bigmove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Plumbing in Dubai

Thanks Admon - I enjoy your honesty!

As for staying in England (shehryar) , I could do, but I want to go somewhere hot!

I look forward to receiving the info admon, nice one.

-
Simon_bigmove is offline  
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:17 pm
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,287
admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumbing in Dubai

Originally Posted by Shehryar View Post
Someone who can speak the language would be a good starting point

Yes, Westerners will pay for quality but as you have noted, the competition will be intense.

I don't mean to be rude, but if you have enough cash to last you a year, and are willing to take big risks with it, wouldn't you be better off investing in a business in the UK? I left London three years ago, but can't imagine things have changed so drastically that a competent and honest plumber cannot make a good living anymore? The 'good' plumbers in my area all had plenty of business; there were so many 'cowboys' around, so there was always scope for quality!
it was publicised a few years ago of the shortage of plumbers in the UK.

As a result, there are now thousands of newly qualified plumbers looking for work there..
admon is offline  
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:36 pm
  #13  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumbing in Dubai

Originally Posted by Simon_bigmove View Post
Thanks Admon - I enjoy your honesty!

As for staying in England (shehryar) , I could do, but I want to go somewhere hot!

I look forward to receiving the info admon, nice one.

-
try Australia then, I don't think you would make it here to be honest with you.
Blue Cat is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.