Reload this Page >

PlsSaveMySoul- Moving to Jeddah

PlsSaveMySoul- Moving to Jeddah

Old Apr 30th 2011, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

eunmamam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PlsSaveMySoul- Moving to Jeddah

Hi there,
Though I couldn't find a tenant of my house, thousands of things still need to be sorted out, no choice to follow my hubby very soon (as family visa running out) Do I want to go ?!?!?!

Please can anybody who already moved could help with my questions :
1. recommend me good shipping company from UK to Jeddah, door to door and how much did you pay for it, etc.
2. If my hubby changes to a new job inside KSA :
Is his current work visa/iqama transferable to a new company's ? Or do he have to get through all the hell of processes again in UK ?

Thanks for your experience and info in advance.
Old May 1st 2011, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PlsSaveMySoul- Moving to Jeddah

Originally Posted by eunmamam
Hi there,
Though I couldn't find a tenant of my house, thousands of things still need to be sorted out, no choice to follow my hubby very soon (as family visa running out) Do I want to go ?!?!?!

Please can anybody who already moved could help with my questions :
1. recommend me good shipping company from UK to Jeddah, door to door and how much did you pay for it, etc.
2. If my hubby changes to a new job inside KSA :
Is his current work visa/iqama transferable to a new company's ? Or do he have to get through all the hell of processes again in UK ?

Thanks for your experience and info in advance.
1 - No. Very unusual to ship from the UK to KSA , most people only bring personal belongings, as generally speaking, you will end up in fully furnished accommodation, so little need to bring stuff with you. Equipping the household here in KSA can be done reasonably cheaply too.

2 - Changing jobs. THe Ministry of the Interior now seem to be enforcing the two year rule. Basically, once he gets his residency permit ( Iqama ) , he is 'sponsored' by his employer. THis iqama is valid for two years. If he gets another job in that two year period, then the Ministry may not allow him to transfer to a new employer, stating that he has not completed two years service in KSA.

If they do allow it, he will need a 'No Objection Letter' from his old employer to enable the transfer to the new one.

If he cannot get the No Objection Letter, the way around it is to leave KSA on a final exit, return to the UK, and the new employer then recruits him directly from there, so you may then have to go through all the hassle of visa's etc etc.

THe easiest thing is to wait for the first two years, once he has this under his belt, there shouldn't be a problem transferring to new companies, but he will still need a No Objection Letter. It really does depend on his employer and their 'generosity' in issuing a No Objection Letter.

Good Luck.
Old May 1st 2011, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
1 - No. Very unusual to ship from the UK to KSA , most people only bring personal belongings, as generally speaking, you will end up in fully furnished accommodation, so little need to bring stuff with you. Equipping the household here in KSA can be done reasonably cheaply too.

2 - Changing jobs. THe Ministry of the Interior now seem to be enforcing the two year rule. Basically, once he gets his residency permit ( Iqama ) , he is 'sponsored' by his employer. THis iqama is valid for two years. If he gets another job in that two year period, then the Ministry may not allow him to transfer to a new employer, stating that he has not completed two years service in KSA.

If they do allow it, he will need a 'No Objection Letter' from his old employer to enable the transfer to the new one.

If he cannot get the No Objection Letter, the way around it is to leave KSA on a final exit, return to the UK, and the new employer then recruits him directly from there, so you may then have to go through all the hassle of visa's etc etc.

THe easiest thing is to wait for the first two years, once he has this under his belt, there shouldn't be a problem transferring to new companies, but he will still need a No Objection Letter. It really does depend on his employer and their 'generosity' in issuing a No Objection Letter.

Good Luck.
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Regarding to ship house stuff abroad , still don't know what to do.
Even if bring basic stuff over, children's books, toys (I have 3 girls), that's already exceed allowable luggage in flight.
How did you manage leave all the household stuff safe and sound in UK ?
I checked renting a stroage option, is expensive £100/month for my stuff and don't feel comfortable to rent out as furnished. How did other ex-pat manage to do it ??? Members out there, please share your experience with me to make my mind up. Cheers.
Old May 1st 2011, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

It is really is deciding what suits you best as a family.

Mrs Bantam and myself have four kids between us. The eldest is at Uni, but comes home quite frequently. We therefore left the house empty, but knowing he would be back quite often at weekends. THe neighbours have done a tremendous job on keeping an eye on the place in between times.

We couldn't really rent it out then, as we needed a 'base' for when we were back there and have all kids together. My wife is a teacher so sends more time in the Uk during the summer than I do, so we need somewhere to live properly.

I know quite a lot of folk who have rented, but each time they visit the UK, they are living with family and friends. But then, it saves you paying a mortgage ( assuming you have one ) and allows you to save more being over here.

Swings and roundabouts really. A six and two threes. Do you know which compound you're going to be on?
Old May 4th 2011, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

desertmum is an unknown quantity at this point

As long term ex-pats we shipped all our belongings when we went to KSA. We got the compound peole to take away the furniture of theirs we didn't need. No problems.
Old May 4th 2011, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Hippacrocapig will become famous soon enoughHippacrocapig will become famous soon enough

I store alot of 'stuff' in my loft and it has a combi lock on it, rental agency have the combination in case of emergency. Obviously I dont store a 3 piece suite up there. Just sentimental stuff and our camping gear. I figured it would cost me 180 pounds a month to store my worn out furniture, so I put that, at least in my saving account each month. So when I return to the UK I have the cash stashed to buy new. Some things are on long term loan ie petrol lawnmower, strimmer, BBQ, bed frames, bikes etc. Have a friend with a barn which is handy.
The houses out here on compounds are fully furnished and when you're not paying (so to speak) you can put up with any old stuff. I have two girls so know where you are coming from about the amount of stuff they have.
We did have a airfreight of 200Kg which was great, but also brought 40Kg of baggage each as hubby a gold card member (via company) with BMI.
Hope this helps

Hippa x
Old May 4th 2011, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Regarding to ship house stuff abroad , still don't know what to do.
Even if bring basic stuff over, children's books, toys (I have 3 girls), that's already exceed allowable luggage in flight.
How did you manage leave all the household stuff safe and sound in UK ?
I checked renting a stroage option, is expensive £100/month for my stuff and don't feel comfortable to rent out as furnished. How did other ex-pat manage to do it ??? Members out there, please share your experience with me to make my mind up. Cheers.

we shipped everything. Except for the dildos - we left them in the loft for the new owners.

nothing makes a place feel like home than your old knackered sofa turning up.
Old May 5th 2011, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

THANKS for all your replies.
Sorted As my hubby's sponsor has agreed to pay for the container,
I am going to ship as many household as I can over to Jeddah.
Four Wind, one of big Saudi shipping company, my hubby's sponsor uses them for importing machinery parts from UK. Finger crossed for their good job
We are going to stay sponsor's company villa until we get a compound place.
Currently, on the long waiting list at Sierra, Mua-Bustan and Lotus.
Once I get to Jeddah, I will write you some information about how my moving/shipping things went.
Cheers.
Old May 6th 2011, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough1967tazz is a jewel in the rough

THANKS for all your replies.
Sorted As my hubby's sponsor has agreed to pay for the container,
I am going to ship as many household as I can over to Jeddah.
Four Wind, one of big Saudi shipping company, my hubby's sponsor uses them for importing machinery parts from UK. Finger crossed for their good job
We are going to stay sponsor's company villa until we get a compound place.
Currently, on the long waiting list at Sierra, Mua-Bustan and Lotus.
Once I get to Jeddah, I will write you some information about how my moving/shipping things went.
Cheers.

Glad to hear of your resolution, when are you moving out to Jeddah? We leave the UK in August for our first 'Expat experience Will be living in Sharbatly, we have two teens moving out with us, so completely understand the 'take or leave' question. well, all the best with the move, keep in touch and maybe we can catch up over there, what ages are your children by the way?
Old May 6th 2011, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 1967tazz
Glad to hear of your resolution, when are you moving out to Jeddah? We leave the UK in August for our first 'Expat experience Will be living in Sharbatly, we have two teens moving out with us, so completely understand the 'take or leave' question. well, all the best with the move, keep in touch and maybe we can catch up over there, what ages are your children by the way?
THANKS again ALL for the post and 1967tazz.
I haven't book a ticket yet, but will leave end of May to first week of June. We have 3 girls aged 9 (this Summer) and 7 years old twins. Yes, it would be nice if we catch up over there.
You, TOO good luck with your move. You may need to carry a potable air conditioner with you in August ;-)
Old May 6th 2011, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

We lived on Sierra Village, nice compound good location, and had friends on Sharbatly, so really can't go wrong with either of those two.

Best of luck to you both.