Pleurisy

Old Dec 13th 2013, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Carnwaj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pleurisy

Hi all,

I'm AD bound in March and have got almost everything sorted. I have one nagging concern.....

About 4 years ago I had pleurisy something I'd never heard of. I'm usually fit as a fiddle but this set me back for a couple of weeks. Antibiotics did the trick and I've had no further occurrences.

Looking through some of the forums there are some new arrivals who are concerned about TB and one of the tests for TB is to look for lung scarring. I think lung scarring can also result from pleurisy.

They won't knock me back for lung scars that are not caused by TB? Should I get things checked over by a UK based doc just in case? Or should I stop worrying and have another drink instead?
Old Dec 13th 2013, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pleurisy

Originally Posted by Carnwaj
Hi all,

I'm AD bound in March and have got almost everything sorted. I have one nagging concern.....

About 4 years ago I had pleurisy something I'd never heard of. I'm usually fit as a fiddle but this set me back for a couple of weeks. Antibiotics did the trick and I've had no further occurrences.

Looking through some of the forums there are some new arrivals who are concerned about TB and one of the tests for TB is to look for lung scarring. I think lung scarring can also result from pleurisy.

They won't knock me back for lung scars that are not caused by TB? Should I get things checked over by a UK based doc just in case? Or should I stop worrying and have another drink instead?
If you are concerned then get it checked out

In the US we are now using TB blood tests: Hopefully, this is available in the Uk.Apparently, this testing is diagnostically more accurate than a chest xray with "scarring" present. I would talk to your GP and put your mind at ease!

This info from the CDC.

TB blood tests (also called interferon-gamma release assays or IGRAs) measure how the immune system reacts to the bacteria that cause TB. An IGRA measures how strong a person’s immune system reacts to TB bacteria by testing the person’s blood.

IGRAs are the preferred method of TB infection testing for the following:

People who have received bacille Calmette–Guérin (BCG). BCG is a vaccine for TB disease and was used a lot in the UK.

Then have a drink!

Last edited by DebzinUS; Dec 13th 2013 at 9:09 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 5:49 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

I caught pleurisy out here. Pisser ain't it?!

Anyway, just get a letter from your docs stating that you had pleurisy around XYZ date, and there may be residual lung scarring due to that. And then you'll be fine. If they are worried, then they will do blood tests.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

the prob here is that they do the tb xray and if its got any sort of scarring they usually refuse you even if you dont have tb, so i would get a doc letter before you come and dont cut off all your ties in home country until you have passed the visa medical just in case, also you may well pass one year and then next time you dont... its happened just recently to people that have been here 20 years and then of course they bring in a different/better test and they are not "fit" as they call it.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Carnwaj is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the replies I'll got to the docs to get a letter. Might get an x-ray done before I come out as well.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carnwaj
thanks for the replies I'll got to the docs to get a letter. Might get an x-ray done before I come out as well.
yes bring as much evidence as you can.... as quite often if a box cannot be ticked here there is no turning a decision even if its wrong in some cases.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blazeaway will become famous soon enoughBlazeaway will become famous soon enough

Had pleurisy, worst month of my life, passed medical no probs
Old Feb 6th 2014, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

davkar is an unknown quantity at this point

I have scar on my lung caused by a pleurisy ,I had in 1993.
Do you know if this will cause problem to get a Residence Visa for UAE ?
Do you have any exeprience with this issue ? Please share your info