British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Please respond- current info on Riyhad (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/please-respond-current-info-riyhad-602865/)

AK17128 Apr 10th 2009 1:09 pm

Please respond- current info on Riyhad

I am from US, and signed a contract to work for the USAF, supporting the RSAF and living in alyamama village.

What are the living conditions there?

Is it anything like Cairo?

Do many americans live/work there?

I'll be working with about 10 other Americans on the RSAF base, but other than that, have no idea what life is like.

Ive found lots of old info, from posts in 2003, 2004, 2005, nothing current.

Thanks- in advance.

The Dean Apr 10th 2009 3:59 pm

Re: Please respond- current info on Riyhad

Originally Posted by AK17128 (Post 7469212)
I am from US, and signed a contract to work for the USAF, supporting the RSAF and living in alyamama village.

What are the living conditions there?

Do many americans live/work there?

I'll be working with about 10 other Americans on the RSAF base, but other than that, have no idea what life is like.

Ive found lots of old info, from posts in 2003, 2004, 2005, nothing current.

Thanks- in advance.

I've been following your recent posts on various threads.

First, learn to spell RIYADH correctly.

Second, read the thing I wrote (Ultimate Guide to Saudi Life). It's at the top of the Middle East homepage.

Then come back with more questions.

AK17128 Apr 10th 2009 8:45 pm

Living in Riyahd- questions

:)Thanks for the reply and article on life in SA. Am a terrible typist, and apologize for the incorrect spelling of the city.

Reviewing the comments of those here is very helpful, and several members have been nice enough to contact me via e-mail. However, in each discussion I have with my family, there are more questions I can't find answers to, especially about the relationships among contractors, other Expats and the Saudi citizens.

To those of you that have lived in the Mid East (ME as its referenced here) for many years, you will have to have some tolerance of those of us fresh from the US.

AK from NC, USA

still.unsure Apr 11th 2009 5:58 am

Originally Posted by AK17128 (Post 7469212)

What are the living conditions there? can you be a bit more specific? do you want to know about housing, transport, a typical workday, a typical weekend, what?

Do many americans live/work there? there are people here from pretty much everywhere in the world (australians, turks, brazillians, dutch, you name it). have met quite a few americans working in various sectors, but mostly in military-related capacities.

Ive found lots of old info, from posts in 2003, 2004, 2005, nothing current. you might want to have another look. there should be quite a collection of stuff on the magic kingdom from the last 12 months at least - (i know, i asked and answered a few! :eek: ) - try using "riyadh" or "saudi"

Thanks- in advance.

see above...

nottmbantam Apr 12th 2009 11:07 am

There will be a lot of other expats on the airbase, the company I work for has a lot of staff there, so you will come across quite a lot of other nationalities, inc Americans and Brits. I few guys I know work on the airbase.

In fact, their working hours tend to be more favourable than many others, finishing at around 2pm.

I don't know where your compound is, but the air base is pretty much in the centre of Riyadh, so could take a while getting there through the traffic depending on where you're travelling from.

lionheart Apr 13th 2009 12:52 pm

Why does the OP expect preferential treatment? If he had omitted the words "Please Respond" and simply asked in a more civilised manner, he would probably have got a better response. Almost as bad as saying "Urgent"...it gets right up my nose. Sorry but there it is.

still.unsure Apr 13th 2009 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7475744)
Why does the OP expect preferential treatment? If he had omitted the words "Please Respond" and simply asked in a more civilised manner, he would probably have got a better response. Almost as bad as saying "Urgent"...it gets right up my nose. Sorry but there it is.

lionheart, it'd be easier if you just listed what doesn't get up your nose, it'd be a bloody short list... ;)