Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Please HELP for QATAR!!! Moving from USA

Please HELP for QATAR!!! Moving from USA

Old Dec 22nd 2014, 2:30 am
Just Joined

qatarliving is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please HELP for QATAR!!! Moving from USA

Would you MacZaki have any experience if I have signed via email the contract but currently am going through the tedious document attestation process is there any chance I can still re-negotiate the contract with the prospective employer or conditions of the contract (like the entry/exit stamp requirement). Would you also have information that if the employer does not issue the NOC does the employee have any rights to demand it. I would greatly appreciate your feedback. Thanks a million.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Jimmy B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by qatarliving
Jimmy,
Thanks indeed for your valuable input. In terms of the renting I have come across different websites (e.g. qatarliving.com classifieds) where the renting is quoted for a 2 bed apartment and villa in the ball park of 10K-12K QAR.
Do you think it is a reasonable guess. I am not longing for anything fancy but just to get going.
It is possible to get somewhere for this amount, the problem you will have is you need to live close to your children's school because the traffic is so bad. This obviously reduces your choice and may push the cost of renting up because of the area.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qatarliving
Would you MacZaki have any experience if I have signed via email the contract but currently am going through the tedious document attestation process is there any chance I can still re-negotiate the contract with the prospective employer or conditions of the contract (like the entry/exit stamp requirement). Would you also have information that if the employer does not issue the NOC does the employee have any rights to demand it. I would greatly appreciate your feedback. Thanks a million.
Personally, I think it's not a good idea to try and negotiate a contract once you have signed the dotted line. It simply make the prospective employer suspicious of your intentions and commitment. Just imagine how would you feel if you purchased a new car and signed all the documents but before the delivery of the vehicle the dealer asks for more money before releasing the car!

As for the NOC piece, if you are joining a reputable company then they shouldn't really give you any major headaches, whenever you decide to move on. Casually ask the HR what's the company policy on issuing the NOC - he/she should be able to provide some information. Everything in the Middle East is discretionary - nothing is ever guaranteed - hence I mentioned in my very first post that you need bucket loads of patience! The only advise I can offer is that when it's time, finish on a good note with your employer, and hope you'll get the NOC.

Also note, some companies are based out of the Qatar Financial Center (free zone). Generally, you can easily move around in the QFC I.e. Join another QFC based company without having to provide a NOC. This may not be applicable to you though - don't over think, you'll become a local expert once you start working there and will learn the 'local traits' to manage all aspects.

Lastly, regarding the multiple exit/re-entry visa, don't get overly concerned. Once you start work, just speak with your boss and HR that a close family member has recently moved to Dubai and you will be visiting him/her every couple of weeks so you would appreciate if a multiple exit/re-entry is arranged for you - this may just work!