British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Please Help - Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/please-help-abu-dhabi-550385/)

Jaybo Jul 21st 2008 7:46 pm

Please Help - Abu Dhabi

Guys,
I have been offered a post in Abu Dhabi can I ask you all for some info and advice?

My son is 8 and has a physical disability. Can any of you advise how children with disabilities are received/viewed and treated?

I had a short visit a week ago and did not see anyone with a disability or wheelchair during my trip. I am worried that he may be excluded from day to day activates and that Abu Dhabi may not be as inclusive as the UK.

Are any of the schools in Abu Dhabi geared for disabled access?

Does anyone know of anyone with similar circumstances that I could discuss my concerns with?

Also; any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jaybo

Eva Jul 21st 2008 8:30 pm

Re: Please Help - Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Jaybo (Post 6595370)
Guys,
I have been offered a post in Abu Dhabi can I ask you all for some info and advice?

My son is 8 and has a physical disability. Can any of you advise how children with disabilities are received/viewed and treated?

I had a short visit a week ago and did not see anyone with a disability or wheelchair during my trip. I am worried that he may be excluded from day to day activates and that Abu Dhabi may not be as inclusive as the UK.

Are any of the schools in Abu Dhabi geared for disabled access?

Does anyone know of anyone with similar circumstances that I could discuss my concerns with?

Also; any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jaybo

Hello Jaybo and welcome.

Sorry I cannot help much but will say I am sure if you p'm'd TBird on here she wouldn't mind.T Bird if I recall has recently researched schools in AD and will probably be able to answer your Q's. You need to make some more posts before you can use the PM facility.
Hope this helps and best of luck.

busybee2 Jul 22nd 2008 5:56 am

unfortunately you will find that you dont see many people here in wheelchairs, there is a school for special needs called the future centre,but its has a huge waiting lists. i have been in ab dabs a long time, and my kids go to the british school bsak and although they do cater for some children with special needs its really depends on what, and there is only one child in the whole school that has to use a wheelchair, and he has been here a long time as well. as with everyone coming here you will have to contact the schools personally because there are big waiting lists, there is a new school opening in sept al yasmina run by aldar and they also have a primary school in town called pearl, please do a big search on this and also other forums as you can see there is a lot of questions on this.

Simao Jul 22nd 2008 6:15 am

You should ask your employer for more info about this matter as they probably would know best. However, if your son is just in a wheelchair I really don't think it is necessary to enroll him in a special needs school the British School would suffice but I don't really know your condition. I know that a colleague of mine has a brother whose in a wheelchair but he still goes to public schools and he says its no problem for him.

busybee2 Jul 22nd 2008 6:29 am

as i said there is a child with a wheelchair at bsak, but that aside is the waiting lists to get into the school in the first place.

Blue Cat Jul 22nd 2008 6:32 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 6596955)
as i said there is a child with a wheelchair at bsak, but that aside is the waiting lists to get into the school in the first place.

I think finding a place in any school is going to be tough and I hate to say this but I would rather suspect that they would pick an able bodied child over your son anyway :(:(:(

Black Eyed Susan Jul 22nd 2008 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6596961)
I think finding a place in any school is going to be tough and I hate to say this but I would rather suspect that they would pick an able bodied child over your son anyway :(:(:(

You will find that the paths here in AD are not the best for wheel chairs and as its hot at the moment, you will notice that people are not out and about on the streets. Saying that, there are more and more people in wheelchairs in the shopping centres.

As for the schools, there is a little girl in one of the grade 4 classes with my son who has 2 walkintg sticks (maybe for spina bifida) and she is still required to walk up and down the stairs at school, come to think of it, I haven't seen any wheelchair access points at my kids school.
BES

Blue Cat Jul 22nd 2008 3:08 pm

believe it or not I saw a young boy in a wheelchair at MOE today, I was really surprised, you just don't see disabled people here at all, or old people for that matter :(

busybee2 Jul 22nd 2008 4:47 pm

try looking at the new Glenelg School of Abu Dhabi, they are opening soon at a new place up by AD Golf Club found the website although not very helpful.

Jaybo Jul 22nd 2008 9:02 pm

Many thanks to all who posted if you come across any further info please send it on or post it. I think one of the new schools may be the best option for us.
Thanks,
Jaybo
:thumbup:

weescot Jul 23rd 2008 6:45 am

If you make one more post I can PM you - I am trying to get more information for you.

Jaybo Jul 23rd 2008 7:32 am

Guys,If you know of any Wheelchair Basketball clubs I don’t mind travelling a bit if there is one outside Abu Dhabi.
Cheers, Jaybo

busybee2 Jul 23rd 2008 7:40 am

in all the years i have lived here i can maybe count people in wheelchairs on 2 hands. In the past when i first came and had a pushchair, you had a choice to push it on the sand as there were no pavements at all, or in the road...! its much better now, but still not compared to anywhere else in the world. best idea would be to contact either SKMC or The Future Centre i am sure they will be able to tell you if they exist.

Blue Cat Jul 23rd 2008 7:41 am

same here BB, personally this Country is not set up for disabled people in any way or form :thumbdown:

busybee2 Jul 23rd 2008 7:43 am

yep ab dabs is obviously the same as dubai, and i would take a guess that because dubai has a bigger population if there is anything it may be in dubai.