British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Phone calls and VoIP (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/phone-calls-voip-624021/)

crazy kid Aug 5th 2009 3:34 pm

Phone calls and VoIP

Hi guys,

Is it true that phone calls are hideously expensive from the UAE because of Etisalat's monopoly? I also head that VoIP providers such as Skype are blocked by the ISPs. Is this true?

Does any one have good ideas about cheap ways to keep in touch with family back home?

Millhouse Aug 5th 2009 3:39 pm

Re: Phone calls and VoIP

Originally Posted by crazy kid (Post 7815492)
Hi guys,

Is it true that phone calls are hideously expensive from the UAE because of Etisalat's monopoly? I also head that VoIP providers such as Skype are blocked by the ISPs. Is this true?

Does any one have good ideas about cheap ways to keep in touch with family back home?

I use skype...

get yourself a VPN ( a UK based one is better, but a US one works). Through skype I have a London phone number that diverts to my PC here - costs me 2 quid a month including all the calls.

Oh, and through Zatoo I also have live UK TV (All channels) - which is also free (apart from the 350Dh/month internet connection that is)

A VPN is essential if you like all the things the internet has to offer.

crazy kid Aug 5th 2009 4:09 pm

Don't know much about VPNs. Do I not need a network here that I tunnel into? Are there publicly provided ones that I can use? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Millhouse Aug 5th 2009 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by crazy kid (Post 7815590)
Don't know much about VPNs. Do I not need a network here that I tunnel into? Are there publicly provided ones that I can use? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

I don't want to post the detail here. Try this link

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=UK+VPN

shakh your bootie Aug 5th 2009 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by crazy kid (Post 7815590)

Check your PM - people are careful about posting details of providers of the service for fear of Etisalat blocking them....

Sarahb79 Aug 6th 2009 3:07 am

Sorry to gatecrash but have a silly girly question. Does windows live messenger still work in AD? Just thinking may be my best way of getting to speak to home

954RR Aug 6th 2009 3:58 am

skype computer to computer works fine from the here. Just make sure that you download the installation before you get here as the skype site is blocked.

Millhouse Aug 6th 2009 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Sarahb79 (Post 7816673)
Sorry to gatecrash but have a silly girly question. Does windows live messenger still work in AD? Just thinking may be my best way of getting to speak to home

Yes, and you can do the webcam etc. Yahoo messenger is fine but the webcam / computer2computer calls seem to be blocked. Skype is fine.

I'd still get a VPN - you'll be amazed at what is blocked and what you can't look at.

Amnesia180 Aug 6th 2009 8:38 am

Hi all,

Whilst there is a fresh topic about, can someone also PM me details?

Thanks!

westus Aug 7th 2009 4:53 pm

Hi whilst reading for some time pages
this is my use & first request, could some one also PM myself link

glynster Aug 7th 2009 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by westus (Post 7822611)
Hi whilst reading for some time pages
this is my use & first request, could some one also PM myself link

Interesting first post,it makes as much sense if you read it backwards.
Well done and of course welcome.