Pets in Dubai

Old Jan 25th 2004, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

wapyaly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pets in Dubai

I may be moving to Dubai soon and I have a dog and a cat. I am not so worried about the cat, he just sleeps when its hot. I could not leave my dog behind!! I was wondering if anyone owns a dog that they bought with them to Dubai and how they cope with the heat. I have a Golden Retriever and am a little worried that the heat will stress him out. Any experiences would be very helpful. I would also like to know if it is harder to rent property if you have pets. Thankyou
Old Jan 26th 2004, 2:31 pm

philipz is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately I can help you directly but alot of people have dogs in Dubai. Possibly you can check the following links.

http://www.pets-vets.com/
http://www.britvet.com/
http://dkc.ae/
Old Jan 26th 2004, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

daisystan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PEts in Dubai

We too are about to move to Dubai and like you there is no way that I would go without my 2 dogs AND cat.

Since I am not there yet I am not able to give you any practical advice other than letting you know that I too am in the same boat and can sympathise!!

I actually work for an animal charity and I think that your dog and cat should be OK so long as they are mostly kept in A/C.

Not ideal that we will prob be arriving in May but will make sure they will be kept in A/C and introduce the change in climate gradually.

From the people I have spoken to - early morning and late evening dog walks are the order of the day.

Hope this helps?
Old Jan 27th 2004, 6:01 am
Just Joined

istara is an unknown quantity at this point

There are plenty of northern-climes dogs here, and they seem to be happy and well-kept/healthy. Some may argue that it is cruel to bring a thick-haired breed to climate where it will spend most of its life indoors, but it is equally hard on the animal to be parted from its beloved owners. I know I would rather be in a small hut with my loved ones that in a palace without them, so perhaps dogs and cats feel this way.

Cats do very very well here, the local feral population tend to be very lean and short haired (think of a statue of Bast) and if you live in a villa in Jumeirah you may well find yourself being intermittently adopted by stray cats. Often these have clearly been pets before, and many are greedy opportunists that slink their way round several villas for maximum food rewards. They are lovely and intelligent animals.

There are some properties that don't allow pets - and some enforce it very strictly. Villas are usually fine - it's mainly apartments that disallow pets. At Jebel Ali Gardens/Guantanamo an Australian(?) couple were actually evicted for refusing to give up their two cats. I personally think that cats should be allowed in The Gardens, at least in ground floor flats. If for nothing else, clean and vaccinated pet cats would deter the more disease-ridden, unvaccinated feral population already establishing itself.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Default Pets in Dubai

Thanks for that!

It is great to hear that there are others who feel the same way. Also interesting to actually hear from someone who is there already.

We visited in September for a few days but there is a limit to how much you can pick up on these short 'fact-finding' missions.

Luckily it looks like we will be living in out of the main city in Nad Al Sheba so as far as permission for pets goes that won't be a problem.

Did you take your pets with you to Dubai?

Thanks again - any other dog/cat owners out there who can share their doggie/catty experiences?

Originally posted by istara
There are plenty of northern-climes dogs here, and they seem to be happy and well-kept/healthy. Some may argue that it is cruel to bring a thick-haired breed to climate where it will spend most of its life indoors, but it is equally hard on the animal to be parted from its beloved owners. I know I would rather be in a small hut with my loved ones that in a palace without them, so perhaps dogs and cats feel this way.

Cats do very very well here, the local feral population tend to be very lean and short haired (think of a statue of Bast) and if you live in a villa in Jumeirah you may well find yourself being intermittently adopted by stray cats. Often these have clearly been pets before, and many are greedy opportunists that slink their way round several villas for maximum food rewards. They are lovely and intelligent animals.

There are some properties that don't allow pets - and some enforce it very strictly. Villas are usually fine - it's mainly apartments that disallow pets. At Jebel Ali Gardens/Guantanamo an Australian(?) couple were actually evicted for refusing to give up their two cats. I personally think that cats should be allowed in The Gardens, at least in ground floor flats. If for nothing else, clean and vaccinated pet cats would deter the more disease-ridden, unvaccinated feral population already establishing itself.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Default Thankyou

for your words of reassurance. It would break my heart to have to leave my pets behind.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:38 am
Just Joined

When do you think you will be heading there?

We are planning to go around May-time which is not going to be ideal in terms of the heat but no alternative really.

My husband is going in 6 weeks and then I will follow with dogs and cats.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 6:28 pm
scuba chick

k3atie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pets in Dubai

I think both should be fine my friend has two cats - and they have a permant winter coat due to the AC! mad really . They are both fine and seem to cope really well also with the ac they keep quite active.

When / if I ever manage to get a job over there! (please keep your fingers crossed for me) i will be definitly taking my two cats.

I have heard that it costs about £300.00 to take them over but once there they leave the airport with you. However it then means that they become house cats.

Kate
Old Jan 31st 2004, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Default Thankyou

I just wanted to day thanks to you all for your views. I wish good luck to you who are moving and those that hope to be going.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 7:13 am
Just Joined

joeski is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Pets in Dubai

Can anyone help. A cat has decided that my home is its home. She is a lovely small affectionate cat and I would love to keep her but my husband is allergic and she is causing him problems. If anyone can help please let me know. THANKS
Old Jan 24th 2005, 7:18 am
The Delivery Man...

Nabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by joeski
Can anyone help. A cat has decided that my home is its home. She is a lovely small affectionate cat and I would love to keep her but my husband is allergic and she is causing him problems. If anyone can help please let me know. THANKS

what help would you like? I love cats
Old Jan 24th 2005, 10:08 am
Just Incredible

karenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant futurekarenb2 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wapyaly
I may be moving to Dubai soon and I have a dog and a cat. I am not so worried about the cat, he just sleeps when its hot. I could not leave my dog behind!! I was wondering if anyone owns a dog that they bought with them to Dubai and how they cope with the heat. I have a Golden Retriever and am a little worried that the heat will stress him out. Any experiences would be very helpful. I would also like to know if it is harder to rent property if you have pets. Thankyou
Hi Wapyaly,

We too have a golden retriever that we brought from the UK. He is now 18 months old. We bought him as a puppy in the UK and flew him out to Bahrain (where we lived at that time) when he was about 16 weeks old. We were worried how the heat would affect him. He does stay indoors in the air conditioning most of the time but likes to lie in the garden once the sun has gone down. At the moment, the temperatures are perfect and he is spending more and more time outside. In the heat of the summer we walk him early in the morning and in the evenings. Its very humid and we don't take him out for too long a walk at these times.

We moved to Dubai in the Summer of last year and brought him here with us. Initially, we had a few unsettled nights in his new surroundings but now he is fine.

The only thing we seem to lack here is the chance to walk the dogs in the parks and go for a run on the beach as dogs are not allowed in these places. Sometimes we take him in the car out to the desert areas and let him have a good run around and he is quite happy with that.

Don't worry about bringing your dog here. Our dog was part of the PET passport scheme whilst in Bahrain and we were worried moving here that we would lose this. However, I am pleased to say that the UAE is now accepted into the PET passport scheme so no problems with quarantine if you want to take your pets back to the UK.

Our dog seems very happy and I wouldn't hesitate in bringing your dog here with you.

If you want any further information or have any other queries then send me a PM and I will try and answer them for you.

Good luck.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 3:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nabs
what help would you like? I love cats
I need to find a new home for her. Do you know anyone who could offer her a loving environment. I too love cats and wish I could keep her but it is just not possible.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 3:59 am
The Delivery Man...

Nabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by joeski
I need to find a new home for her. Do you know anyone who could offer her a loving environment. I too love cats and wish I could keep her but it is just not possible.

Do u have a pic of it? I would love to take it
Old Jan 25th 2005, 6:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nabs
Do u have a pic of it? I would love to take it
I dont have a picture but she is small and white with brown and beige patches. She has obviously had a nice home at some point as she is quite comfortable with humans and is very affectionate. I will get a picture of her and send it to you. THANKS!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.