Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

perspectives on visa

perspectives on visa

Old Dec 17th 2007, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

canukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nice
Default perspectives on visa

I've had another conversation with another headhunter about an opportunity that is suggesting this arrangement for a full-time job:

I work on a visitor's visa for 3 months, after which time I would be over the probation period and would then apply for a residents visa. I would be in a hotel (expenses) for 4 weeks to start and then have to find my own flat to rent. No assistance provided for any rent in advance.

Wouldn't this be a nightmare for finances/banking? As I understand from other threads, a resident's visa is required for credit cards & bank loans (loan to cover 6 months in advance rent for flats...) Or I'd have to stump up the rent in advance myself!

I'd appreciate perspectives on this type of arrangement. Thanks!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 7:25 pm

beebee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: perspectives on visa

Originally Posted by canukabroad
I've had another conversation with another headhunter about an opportunity that is suggesting this arrangement for a full-time job:

I work on a visitor's visa for 3 months, after which time I would be over the probation period and would then apply for a residents visa. I would be in a hotel (expenses) for 4 weeks to start and then have to find my own flat to rent. No assistance provided for any rent in advance.

Wouldn't this be a nightmare for finances/banking? As I understand from other threads, a resident's visa is required for credit cards & bank loans (loan to cover 6 months in advance rent for flats...) Or I'd have to stump up the rent in advance myself!

Can you work on a resident visa?
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canukabroad

strictly speaking its illegal to work on a visitor's visa. If they dont want to get you your residents permit until after your probation then they are supposed to obtain a temporary work permit. As a European here you shouldn't have a problem though.

and yes you will have problems getting loans/credit cards with your residents permit.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

canukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nice

Thanx bb & ins...

Why would I want to wait until 3 months for a residents permit? Shouldn't I want that asap?
Old Dec 18th 2007, 5:11 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

dont touch that job with a barge pole. If an employer isnt willing to visa you up from day one then that speaks volumes about how they value you and other employees.
Besides you couldnt rent a house etc until you got your visa.

Any half decent employer wouldnt dream about this kind of arrangement. They are also asking you to work illegaly from day one, what else would they ask you to do in the future!?!

Walk away from this one mate way too dodgy a set up.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Shiva. They want you to take the risk of moving out here on a 3 month probation but they dont want to take the financial expense of getting you your work visa until after the probation.
Insist that its done immediately or walk away.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
dont touch that job with a barge pole. If an employer isnt willing to visa you up from day one then that speaks volumes about how they value you and other employees.
Besides you couldnt rent a house etc until you got your visa.

Any half decent employer wouldnt dream about this kind of arrangement. They are also asking you to work illegaly from day one, what else would they ask you to do in the future!?!

Walk away from this one mate way too dodgy a set up.
Absolutely second that, don't even think of it.

Besides, they should know very well that it is strictly illegal to work on a visit visa.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

thanks everyone for your input - much appreciated.

I told the headhunter that I'm not interested in this type of arrangement.

Sigh... at least the red wine tonight is at (perfect for drinking) room temperature!