Reload this Page >

Pearl vs West Bay for a young family

Pearl vs West Bay for a young family

Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Capoeira123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pearl vs West Bay for a young family

Hi all,

I know this is going to be a controversial one as people have strong feelings based on where they live, but can anyone give any perspective on which is best for a couple with a baby on the way? The Pearl is very pretty but is pricey and I'm not sure the benefit of lots of space to walk when it's so hot for much of the year. West Bay on the other hand is close to everything, has lots of serviced apartments (reducing the amount of domestic chores and billing hassles) but of course is not exactly set up for strolling around with a pram!
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:57 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pearl vs West Bay for a young family

I wouldn't live in either. You are better off in a compound near to local amenities.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice

britexpat76 ,
have you got any suggestions of areas?? or how do you determine if a compound is any better/worse than any other one?
Old Apr 19th 2014, 2:24 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Russ_Sarah
britexpat76 ,
have you got any suggestions of areas?? or how do you determine if a compound is any better/worse than any other one?
You will only find out by being here and looking around the compounds and deciding for yourself.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

The Pearl is dead and so far out from from the city, also concerns over building quality, West Bay would be a better option but expensive.

Also if you have a family the school will also be a major factor on where you live.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice

i was wondering that about the Pearl, there are so many units in there to rent that i wonder how many people actually live there. it might be a bit of a ghost town for another while yet.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

JamesandTamsin is an unknown quantity at this point

We have an 11 month old son and are looking possibly an apartment in west bay, the thought of him having marble stairs to practice on scares the lining day lights out of me! Keep us updated with your choices x
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

The best value as BritExpat said is the compound villa here in Doha . Compound villas offer a better environment for families and especially for new first time expats where meeting other people can be daunting and being around like minded people can ease the first few months .

Apartments offer value only to the few . They're expensive overpriced and choice is below standard . Single flat shares or working couples seem to be the people who get the most out of them or if it's a financial constraint which of course is a major factor here .

Remember The Pearl and West Bay will be blighted by Expressway works and Metro works for the next 5 years , getting around this area will be a nightmare , we're not talking about a little bit of traffic we're talking major disruption . Doha Metro will be the biggest infrastructure project in the world when going with a planned 60 + stations , you'll not be able to swing a Shwarma in Doha within 6 months.

My advice for looking for a bed here is , get into town and spend time getting around the areas and take work , school and amenities into consideration . Spend 3 months doing it if you have to because once you get the keys to your palace all bets are off .
Old Apr 27th 2014, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

JamesandTamsin is an unknown quantity at this point

I visited the Pearl yesterday with my Wife and Son for a spot of lunch and to look at the area. It struck us as quite a pompous place - there were a number of mums who came into the eatery where we were having lunch and they looked a little... let’s just say posh for our liking.

Nothing against the upper classes, but I imagine their shoos cost more than a months rent. Something to bare in mind

Of course this may not be a demographic representation of the inhabitants however it was enough for my wife to shoot me the “i’m not living here” look
Old Apr 27th 2014, 8:25 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by JamesandTamsin
I visited the Pearl yesterday with my Wife and Son for a spot of lunch and to look at the area. It struck us as quite a pompous place - there were a number of mums who came into the eatery where we were having lunch and they looked a little... let’s just say posh for our liking.

Nothing against the upper classes, but I imagine their shoos cost more than a months rent. Something to bare in mind

Of course this may not be a demographic representation of the inhabitants however it was enough for my wife to shoot me the “i’m not living here” look
They are not upper class mate, They wouldn't live in Doha - These are common folk like you and I that because they have a tax free salary and a maid think they are something they are not. The wife has a good point though avoid the area.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesandTamsin

Don't worry mate , they're all fur coat and no knickers , most of them couldn't stand you a round of drinks at the bar .

Champagne lifestyle , lemonade money
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

they might be a bit sweaty with a fur coat on in doha….
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Crewegirl is on a distinguished road

My god where did you eat? Please dont think think that because honest it's not like that at all. Just some people in Doha think they are special and forget where they come from.
I don't own a fur coat and always wear knickers � ����