Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Paying for a car crash!?!?!?

View Poll Results: Charged for 'causing' a crash?!?!
Ha Ha they saw you coming...
12.50%
If you do the crime.....you pay the fine
81.25%
It should be split between drivers?!?!
0%
No idea
6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Paying for a car crash!?!?!?

Old Mar 25th 2009, 7:10 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying for a car crash!?!?!?

Originally Posted by Confucius
Who's to say it won't change it's mind and accelerate???
The safety dudes at Volvo?

Tried it out at the Autodrome, very weird...
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
The safety dudes at Volvo?

Tried it out at the Autodrome, very weird...
the car really stops for you?

guess if the locals drove it, it wouldn't allow them to tailgate either..
Old Mar 26th 2009, 5:46 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon
the car really stops for you?

guess if the locals drove it, it wouldn't allow them to tailgate either..
Yeah, if the difference in speed between you and the car in front is less than 16kph, the car will not collide. If it's 16-30kph difference it will reduce the severity of the impact. Just looking at it on the web site. Cool looking car too.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, if the difference in speed between you and the car in front is less than 16kph, the car will not collide. If it's 16-30kph difference it will reduce the severity of the impact. Just looking at it on the web site. Cool looking car too.
the thing is that the car will slow down, but thats not to say the car tailgaiting you behind will do the same!
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:44 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Do the fines come with any kind of accident?

All kinds of scrapes need the pink slip to get fixed... and the wife has had a few

(Never any other car involved... just her, the car and a wall/pillar/bollard)
I have had a ding to my car fixed WITHOUT the slip. Just means you pay for it yourself...
Old Mar 26th 2009, 7:20 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
I have had a ding to my car fixed WITHOUT the slip. Just means you pay for it yourself...
... where?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 7:27 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
... where?
Dealer.. Called police out, they took one look and said that it wasnt worth going thru the insurance. Way I understand it, if you need insurance to pay for it, you need a slip. If you can cover the cost yourself (or in my case, 'persuade' the hotel to pay for the damage done by their valeter), you dont need a slip...
Old Mar 26th 2009, 7:48 am
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by busybee2
the thing is that the car will slow down, but thats not to say the car tailgaiting you behind will do the same!
Guess that's why Volvo think everyone should drive one
Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

hell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jeeper
Guarantee you were going faster than 30kph.
30kph is pathetically slow - try it sometime.

There's areas in dubai that have 30kph speed limits and sometimes I drive at 30 just to wind the missus up saying "but it's the speed limit".
It really is very slow - and i'm certain there are no roundabouts in dubai that have such 'blind' corners that you couldn't stop if you were doing 30

Can I clarify:

You were following another random car.
You both went round the corner.
There was a taxi stopped there.
The car in front of you had to stop for the parked taxi?
He did so successfully?
You ran up back of random car?

That the case?

not sure I got it right...
I was not directly following the car infront he was a good 20m ahead therefore I hadn't even seen him before I entered the first corner. The Taxi was stopped approx 6m from the exit of the corner. The car ahead emergency stopped, leaving no room for me to do so. Bear in mind I did not have a tape measure with me, and both the taxi and the car in front were saloons and approx 4.5m in length. According to the calculations on here I would have needed to start emergency braking before going into the first corner. A few things we haven't taken into account are the road conditions, tyre pressure and warmth as well as sun-positioning!!! I'll get the test tubes!!! See the below illustration....It's been a slow morning!
The impact was not too immpressive at all, I cracked my front bumber, and dented his rear bumber, that's all.
The fact remains, that I held my hands up and admitted responsability, and all I wanted to find out was if I was supposed to pay a fine?!?!?
Attached Thumbnails Paying for a car crash!?!?!?-crash.bmp  
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

things like this really justify bringing back hanging..

in fact i think hanging is too good a punishment..
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:12 am
If I have to explain...

Guess that's why Volvo think everyone should drive one
Well that's weird. A few minutes ago, the advertising banner at the foot of the page was about the XC60, which I thought was cool seeing as how we were talking about it. Now it's back to the crappy bill paying one.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

hell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by admon
things like this really justify bringing back hanging..

in fact i think hanging is too good a punishment..
I know the attachment's no Rembrant but that's a bit harsh.....
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hell its hot
I was not directly following the car infront he was a good 20m ahead therefore I hadn't even seen him before I entered the first corner. The Taxi was stopped approx 6m from the exit of the corner. The car ahead emergency stopped, leaving no room for me to do so. Bear in mind I did not have a tape measure with me, and both the taxi and the car in front were saloons and approx 4.5m in length. According to the calculations on here I would have needed to start emergency braking before going into the first corner. A few things we haven't taken into account are the road conditions, tyre pressure and warmth as well as sun-positioning!!! I'll get the test tubes!!! See the below illustration....It's been a slow morning!
The impact was not too immpressive at all, I cracked my front bumber, and dented his rear bumber, that's all.
The fact remains, that I held my hands up and admitted responsability, and all I wanted to find out was if I was supposed to pay a fine?!?!?
A simple straight forward answer to your question is YES! You must pay the fine as you received the pink slip. It was recently brought in that the offender (you) receives a fine for hitting somebody. I don't know why....maybe because of the police time spent? Tough titties i'm afraid. Do not pass go, Do not collect 410 Dirhams.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Dealer.. Called police out, they took one look and said that it wasnt worth going thru the insurance. Way I understand it, if you need insurance to pay for it, you need a slip. If you can cover the cost yourself (or in my case, 'persuade' the hotel to pay for the damage done by their valeter), you dont need a slip...
I don't think that's correct.
There was an article in Gulf news (I think it was) about this.
Police cracking down on reapirers working on cars that don't have police accident reports. which is illegal. In your case you might have had the report but not the pink / green slips?

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10294799.html Ok it was ajman. but I think it's the same in Dubai?

Last edited by Jeeper; Mar 26th 2009 at 3:01 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:00 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hell its hot
Fair enough, the drawing in the attachment is not to scale as you point out. How about describing the actual location of the roundabout and direction you were coming from...so we can zoom in on it with Google Earth ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.