Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Paying for a car crash!?!?!?

View Poll Results: Charged for 'causing' a crash?!?!
Ha Ha they saw you coming...
12.50%
If you do the crime.....you pay the fine
81.25%
It should be split between drivers?!?!
0%
No idea
6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Paying for a car crash!?!?!?

Old Mar 25th 2009, 11:50 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying for a car crash!?!?!?

Do the fines come with any kind of accident?

All kinds of scrapes need the pink slip to get fixed... and the wife has had a few

(Never any other car involved... just her, the car and a wall/pillar/bollard)
Old Mar 25th 2009, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

hell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lionheart
Are you Bison in disguise? Not only will you have to pay the excess on your insurance policy and the fine but you will also find that next year your insurance premium will go up. Happy days! Next time you may may wish to get the number of the taxi cab...they have them written on the bodywork...or the registration number.
Got the number called the RTA and they were very helpful on the phone, nothing since though.....
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

hell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant futurehell its hot has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MacScot
Sounds like driving too fast for road conditions (restricted view of road ahead)...
30kmh?!?! I did say it was a road not a car park!
Old Mar 25th 2009, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hell its hot
When you come off a round-a-bout into tall chevrons and turn a blind corner where the rear end of a stationary car greets you due to the taxi infront stopping in the middle of the road for no reason, you can't really do much about it......

Both Me and the other driver agreed that it was the taxi's fault but as he didn't stop I am left out of pocket again.

I really should stop using this forum for reference, and use it for what it's here for, putting people down......
The logic of the road is simple: if you're driving faster than the car in front of you, you would hit them, ergo: you're at fault...
Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Guarantee you were going faster than 30kph.
30kph is pathetically slow - try it sometime.

There's areas in dubai that have 30kph speed limits and sometimes I drive at 30 just to wind the missus up saying "but it's the speed limit".
It really is very slow - and i'm certain there are no roundabouts in dubai that have such 'blind' corners that you couldn't stop if you were doing 30

Can I clarify:

You were following another random car.
You both went round the corner.
There was a taxi stopped there.
The car in front of you had to stop for the parked taxi?
He did so successfully?
You ran up back of random car?

That the case?

not sure I got it right...
Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
Guarantee you were going faster than 30kph.
30kph is pathetically slow - try it sometime.

There's areas in dubai that have 30kph speed limits and sometimes I drive at 30 just to wind the missus up saying "but it's the speed limit".
It really is very slow - and i'm certain there are no roundabouts in dubai that have such 'blind' corners that you couldn't stop if you were doing 30

Can I clarify:

You were following another random car.
You both went round the corner.
There was a taxi stopped there.
The car in front of you had to stop for the parked taxi?
He did so successfully?
You ran up back of random car?

That the case?

not sure I got it right...
How many metres does it take to stop a car travelling at 30KMH???
Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:19 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
How many metres does it take to stop a car travelling at 30KMH???
Depends if it runs into something or not...
Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Roadking
Depends if it runs into something or not...
Clear road, emergency stop...
Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:27 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Clear road, emergency stop...
20 mph = 12 metres stopping = at least 3 car lengths
Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

20 mph = 12 metres stopping = at least 3 car lengths
There you go...So if all of a sudden something jumps in front of you and youre doing the "dead speed" of 30/hour, that something will be obliterated...
Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

There you go...So if all of a sudden something jumps in front of you and youre doing the "dead speed" of 30/hour, that something will be obliterated...
But nothing jumped out in front.
I'd be surprised if there wasn't 12metres visibility.

...and as I was implying....the other car managed to stop.

Last edited by Jeeper; Mar 25th 2009 at 6:54 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jeeper
But nothing jumped out in front.
I'd be surprised if there wasn't 12metres visibility.
Was referring to a hypothetical situation...
Nevertheless, when turning into a street and all of a sudden the car in front of you stops, and you brake only half a second late, you're done...At 30, half a second is probably 5 metres...
Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:59 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

I did say "road conditions" not "car park conditions"...where do you 'car park' from ?
Old Mar 25th 2009, 7:04 pm
If I have to explain...

Was referring to a hypothetical situation...
Nevertheless, when turning into a street and all of a sudden the car in front of you stops, and you brake only half a second late, you're done...At 30, half a second is probably 5 metres...
Actually, no; 6 meters is the stopping distance, the other 6 meters is "thinking".
At the end of the day, if you can't stop while the car in front can, you are too close or too fast.

Buy a Volvo XC60 and the thing will stop for you if you're not up to it yourself.....
Old Mar 25th 2009, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Actually, no; 6 meters is the stopping distance, the other 6 meters is "thinking".
At the end of the day, if you can't stop while the car in front can, you are too close or too fast.

Buy a Volvo XC60 and the thing will stop for you if you're not up to it yourself.....
Who's to say it won't change it's mind and accelerate???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.