British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Paternity leave? Dubai with babies? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/paternity-leave-dubai-babies-543264/)

klaus3974 Jun 16th 2008 10:49 am

Paternity leave? Dubai with babies?

Hi people,

We learned this weekend we are pregnant!! (well... she is). We are very happy since we have been looking for a long time and it will be our first baby.

As happy as we are... this opens a total new game. My fiancee (yes, we are not married... I hope Beard Man forgives us) and I were looking to move in October/November. We were going to get married before going. I have a (good?) job offer, and she was looking what to do there. I still have not answer my prospective employer cause I was negotiating with other potential employer.

Now I need to take into account there will be three of us.

I have some questions... any help will be really appreciated.

1) Do they have paternity leave in UAE? If yes, for how long? I need this information before talking with my prospective employer. We want to have our baby in Europe. So I could either start and take some time off around the time he will be born or ask to start in one year (yes, I probably could do that).

2) How is Dubai with babies? We are going to be alone. Her family within a seven hours flight, mine sixteen.

3) Before we were thinking in renting a one bedroom for 120-150K in Dubai Marina or Old Town... now we will be looking at something like 2 bedroom (plus maid) or a small villa (200K?). Where is a good place to live with babies?

4) How much it would cost us to bring a babysitter from our countries? I mean visa costs, working permit, etc.

Gosh... I am VERY HAPPY :D !!!

Cheers

Blue Cat Jun 16th 2008 10:53 am

Re: Paternity leave? Dubai with babies?

Congratulations!!! we have a four year old and live in an apartment, it's great now marble staircases to worry about her falling down which used to give me nightmares when we had the villa.

I am pretty sure there is no such thing as Paternity leave here, my husband just took a few days off after she was born.

Why not have the baby here, the hospitals are fine ;)

There are loads of children orientated things going on, play groups and baby meets etc, your 'wife' will be fine!! :)

Eeyore Jun 16th 2008 1:01 pm

Congratulations :) Now for the less good news...

Originally Posted by klaus3974 (Post 6471232)
1) Do they have paternity leave in UAE?

No. Unless your company is very very nice, if you want time off after the baby is born, it'll have to come out of your annual holiday entitlement.

4) How much it would cost us to bring a babysitter from our countries? I mean visa costs, working permit, etc
As far as I know, you can't do this. I'm sure I've read that if you wish to employ a full-time maid or nanny, or any other live-in help, they cannot be the same nationality as you.

Fairydust Jun 16th 2008 1:27 pm

And if you did decide to have the baby here I would get married pretty quickly otherwise your dates won't match up if they decided to check up!!

klaus3974 Jun 16th 2008 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6471249)
Congratulations!!! we have a four year old and live in an apartment, it's great now marble staircases to worry about her falling down which used to give me nightmares when we had the villa.

I am pretty sure there is no such thing as Paternity leave here, my husband just took a few days off after she was born.

Why not have the baby here, the hospitals are fine ;)

There are loads of children orientated things going on, play groups and baby meets etc, your 'wife' will be fine!! :)

Thanks BC for your answers!

Good to know that life with babies is possible.

Not sure my "wife" would like to have the baby there... first baby, family far from us... and for what I read... if they do the math and realize she got pregnant without been married... we may be in troubles (can't believe these people!)

We need to think and talk with my employer to see what is the most convinient timing.

How about housing? Two bedroom apartment for a couple in their early 30s with a new baby, around 150-180K. Greens? Marina?

Cheers:)

Eeyore Jun 16th 2008 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by klaus3974 (Post 6471734)
if they do the math and realize she got pregnant without been married... we may be in troubles

FWIW, it's usually OK if you get married within a month or two of finding out that you're pregnant. We know people who've done this and it's been fine.

How about housing? Two bedroom apartment for a couple in their early 30s with a new baby, around 150-180K. Greens? Marina?
You don't need to spend as much as 180k, that'll get you a 3-bed. 125k is about the bottom end for a 2-bed in a reasonable area, 135-140k will get you a wide range of places. I wouldn't touch the Greens myself, the traffic around the morning and evening rush hours is appalling due to the rather stupid placement of the Salik road toll gate. The Marina's less of an issue for traffic because it's about 70% unoccupied, but it's obviously full of construction work.

klaus3974 Jun 16th 2008 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 6471883)
FWIW, it's usually OK if you get married within a month or two of finding out that you're pregnant. We know people who've done this and it's been fine.

You don't need to spend as much as 180k, that'll get you a 3-bed. 125k is about the bottom end for a 2-bed in a reasonable area, 135-140k will get you a wide range of places. I wouldn't touch the Greens myself, the traffic around the morning and evening rush hours is appalling due to the rather stupid placement of the Salik road toll gate. The Marina's less of an issue for traffic because it's about 70% unoccupied, but it's obviously full of construction work.

Thanks! I was in Dubai two weeks ago for the first time and I was horrified by the price of the apartments (not to mention the heat). My job would be in the Trade Center for the next two years, moving later to Business Bay. Where it would be a good place to live? (say 30 minutes driving)

I know that it may not be easy to use... but I was hoping I could take the metro to work after September 2009.

Eeyore Jun 16th 2008 3:55 pm

The ideal place for you would be the Burj Dubai/Business Bay area, but you'll pay even more inflated rents to live there. If you can afford up to 200k though, you'll be OK.

You might be able to use the Metro when it opens, I guess it all depends on where your home and work are in relation to Metro stations. If you have to drive to get to the nearest station and have to get a taxi at the other end, then you may consider that it makes more sense to drive all the way to work anyway.

mzperx Jun 17th 2008 8:14 am

Congratulations!

Sorry, I have no answers, though.

Blue Cat Jun 17th 2008 9:37 am

I have a friend who came out here pregnant and not married, went to UK to deliver baby, came back and her daughter went straight onto her husbands visa, they got married when the baby was about 6 months. Never had a problem, I was gobsmacked :eek:

klaus3974 Jun 17th 2008 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6474054)
I have a friend who came out here pregnant and not married, went to UK to deliver baby, came back and her daughter went straight onto her husbands visa, they got married when the baby was about 6 months. Never had a problem, I was gobsmacked :eek:

Haha... I am not sure I would like to take the risk and my fiancee will probably kill me if I suggest it. I think it is better to get married and my fiancee fells like being in Europe to have the baby.

Anyway... all the info has been extremely helpful. We will do all the medicals exams and make a decision about the timing of the move to Dubai. For once, the fact that contracts and everything takes so long in Dubai is working in our favor.

Cheers!