British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   passports...a real dumb blonde question... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/passports-real-dumb-blonde-question-616014/)

Madam Medusa Jun 21st 2009 10:50 am

passports...a real dumb blonde question...

...ok, i'm just starting to get in a panic cos my passport is up for renewal and it's only a few weeks til i travel...

anyway, i have got the form and don't know whether i give my dubai address or uk address under the "permanent address" section...i know this is the dumbest of dumb questions, but haven't got time to get it returned if i fill it out incorrectly...i just tried to call the consulate and they are closed until the morning and i want to get it sorted before then...
any ideas...? :o thanks...

MM, xx

Zico2009 Jun 21st 2009 10:52 am

Re: passports...a real dumb blonde question...

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7685188)
...ok, i'm just starting to get in a panic cos my passport is up for renewal and it's only a few weeks til i travel...

anyway, i have got the form and don't know whether i give my dubai address or uk address under the "permanent address" section...i know this is the dumbest of dumb questions, but haven't got time to get it returned if i fill it out incorrectly...i just tried to call the consulate and they are closed until the morning and i want to get it sorted before then...

MM, xx

Im sorry I cant help but you sound so sexy when your confused.

NorthernLad Jun 21st 2009 11:08 am

MM, xx

I think that I used my UAE address for last renewal.

Norm_uk Jun 21st 2009 11:14 am

MM, xx

I always use my UK address and never had any problems despite not living in the UK for 9 years...

N.

Grace O Malley Jun 21st 2009 11:18 am

UAE address MM.

Child of O Malley has lost his old passport which has his residency on it, o malley is peeved as it will be a pain to get the residency in the new passport.

lionheart Jun 21st 2009 11:27 am

As I don't have a UK address, the UAE one has always sufficed, but don't expect the new passport to be ready straightaway...these things can take an annoying amount of time, especially when you don't have much available.

Madam Medusa Jun 21st 2009 11:38 am

huge thanks all, looks like the consensus is uae address...and fingers crossed that they get it done in time...

MM, xx

Eva Jun 21st 2009 11:38 am

MM, xx

I hate adding to yr confusion but if I recall, you have a home in Uk and are still taxed in the UK- I would say therefore, it may be your intention to return there eventually- which makes it your Domicile which is your 'permanent address' for legal purposes.
Residence isn't the same as Domicile in terms of permanence.....
hth

Eva Jun 21st 2009 11:39 am

oh f***...wonderful timing E!

Madam Medusa Jun 21st 2009 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 7685270)
I hate adding to yr confusion but if I recall, you have a home in Uk and are still taxed in the UK- I would say therefore, it may be your intention to return there eventually- which makes it your Domicile which is your 'permanent address' for legal purposes.
Residence isn't the same as Domicile in terms of permanence.....
hth

aww bugger, eva, just as i thought i'd got it sorted, lol...i don't think the taxman gets the money though, it's this notional tax thing that goes to the company...

guess my best bet is to wait and fill out this section in the morning...

MM, xx

Spugsy Jun 21st 2009 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Zico2009 (Post 7685192)
Im sorry I cant help but you sound so sexy when your confused.

heh heh...

Eva Jun 21st 2009 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7685278)
aww bugger, eva, just as i thought i'd got it sorted, lol...i don't think the taxman gets the money though, it's this notional tax thing that goes to the company...

guess my best bet is to wait and fill out this section in the morning...

MM, xx

Ah! then that could make the difference..so I'll just delete
Forget I posted.

Sorry:o

Spugsy Jun 21st 2009 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7685269)
huge thanks all, looks like the consensus is uae address...and fingers crossed that they get it done in time...

MM, xx

what do you do? just rock up at the UK embassy and get it sorted there? I have about 10 months on mine so need it sorted, and are you getting one of these new fangled biometric ones?
x

Madam Medusa Jun 21st 2009 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7685282)
what do you do? just rock up at the UK embassy and get it sorted there? I have about 10 months on mine so need it sorted, and are you getting one of these new fangled biometric ones?
x

geez, don't confuse me further...do i need that biometric one (err...and what is it...?)

i just printed off a form, and was going to go tomorrow, but now i've realised i can't cos they are closed every afternoon, so will have to wait...they don't make it easy, do they...

oh, and i've got no bleedin idea where the consulate is anyway, lmao...

MM, xx

Grace O Malley Jun 21st 2009 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7685288)
geez, don't confuse me further...do i need that biometric one (err...and what is it...?)

i just printed off a form, and was going to go tomorrow, but now i've realised i can't cos they are closed every afternoon, so will have to wait...they don't make it easy, do they...

oh, and i've got no bleedin idea where the consulate is anyway, lmao...

MM, xx

I think they are only doing the chip ones now, be careful on the pics as they are very strict on them, i had to do my pics twice to satisfy them