Reload this Page >

Part year UK Non Resident status

Part year UK Non Resident status

Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:45 am
Just Joined

Raf77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Part year UK Non Resident status

Hi guys/girls.
I arrived in Dubai at the end of May 2010 to take up employment. I intend to stay in this job until May 2012.. maybe even 2013.

Will I be liable for UK tax for my dxb earnings for the 2010/2011 tax year as I left the UK a month after the start of the tax year?

Any advice would be much appreciated... Thank you.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

TREVORCOX is just really niceTREVORCOX is just really niceTREVORCOX is just really niceTREVORCOX is just really niceTREVORCOX is just really niceTREVORCOX is just really niceTREVORCOX is just really niceTREVORCOX is just really nice
Default Re: Part year UK Non Resident status

Have you filled in the form from the tax office informing them that u r now working overseas?
R U working for a UK company with salary still paid into UK account?
I presume you have paid tax for the period up to when u left the UK.
As far as I am aware and know u will be ok provided you do not spend more than 90 days in any one tax year in the UK.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

r but there are rules now about part year tax. meow is the one that will put you in the picture.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Raf77 is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't filled in any forms for the taxman - my head has not been straight dealing with all the dxb red tape.
My tax prior to leaving the uk is up to date as I had left my previous job in late march 2010 and didn't start my dxb job until late may 2010 so this is my first paid employment for tax year 2010/11.
The employer is not a uk company and I get paid in AED into my dxb account.
Including the 19 days I was in the uk after the start of the tax year, I will not be visiting the uk for more than 90 days in the tax year.

As suggested, I have emailed Meow to see if I can use her services.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

TrapMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Part year UK Non Resident status

My advice is that you should fill in a Form P85 and submit it to your local tax inspector in the UK which will establish your status as non-UK resident from your date of departure. As such, provided you do not breach the UK residency rules (which broadly mean you cannot spend more than 90 days in the UK in any tax year (although this is increasingly a grey area)), you will not be liable to UK tax on overseas earnings until the date you re-establish UK residency.

Furthermore, depending on the level of any taxes suffered between 6 April 2010 and your date of departure, you may also be entitled to a partial refund of any such taxes paid.

Hope that helps
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:10 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

That's not quite right. Partial years may be subject to UK income tax.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:14 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself a good accountant back in the UK..

When I first started working overseas (2001), I commuted back and fore to KSA (2 months on, 1 month off). Spoke to an accountant in Norwich recommended by a few of my colleagues and he told me what to do to keep myself 'under the radar' when it came time to apply for partial year.. . .
Old Sep 7th 2010, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

TrapMan is an unknown quantity at this point

I am pretty sure there would be liability but only for the period for which an individual were UK resident. In this case, I assume any taxable income in respect of the 19 day period prior to becoming non-resident would be more than offset by the annual personal allowance.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Providing you have a contract of employment that covers the period from your departure to the date of your return and the period covers a complete tax year then you will be treated as tax free on overseas earnings for the whole period. By concession part years are not taxable - this is a concession, but providing you keep everything simple the concession will apply. This is covered by section 8.5 and 10.7 of HMRC 6.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:47 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Too much misleading information given by, people sadly. Guessing is not going to help others. There are NO guarantess that partial years are not taxable, unless you are UK non-resident for a full five tax years.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Too much misleading information given by, people sadly. Guessing is not going to help others. There are NO guarantess that partial years are not taxable, unless you are UK non-resident for a full five tax years.
so say I came to UAE in Jul 2005. I'd need to stay UAE resident til April 2011 to qualify for this 5 tax year rule.

Then if I do say another 6 months in UAE til Oct 2011 and return to UK to work thereafter - you are saying the chunk between April and Oct 2011 will not be taxable in UK?

but if I were to bring this forward 1 year and return Oct 2010 (ooh that's next month but only 4 complete tax years) I would be taxed for chunk between April and Oct 2010?

I think that's right but as others have said...speak to a pro
Old Sep 8th 2010, 3:14 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by saudiflares
so say I came to UAE in Jul 2005. I'd need to stay UAE resident til April 2011 to qualify for this 5 tax year rule.

Then if I do say another 6 months in UAE til Oct 2011 and return to UK to work thereafter - you are saying the chunk between April and Oct 2011 will not be taxable in UK?

but if I were to bring this forward 1 year and return Oct 2010 (ooh that's next month but only 4 complete tax years) I would be taxed for chunk between April and Oct 2010?

I think that's right but as others have said...speak to a pro
Essentially yes. And I am a professional.