British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Parsons contacting people for Yanbu - again (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/parsons-contacting-people-yanbu-again-927763/)

HeyJoe Sep 8th 2019 2:07 pm

Parsons contacting people for Yanbu - again

Hi All

I got another in line of many many e-mails/calls from Parsons International. Looks like they've contacted all the ppl from their database that live and work in UK/Ireland. I wasn't sure what to make of this and should I reply, considering the fact their HR people go around all the time, write emails, call people and often don't follow through. So, couple of weekends back, while sitting in my office-room with nothing better to do (happy out!), I replied... and got back a reply! and replied again... and back another reply... Deadly! Never happened before. Previous several times they contacted me, they just go silent once getting my info.

Now, apparently they are recruiting massively for 'Yanbu and other KSA locations'. So, last 2 e-mails I got are a bit confusing. First one something like: 'We will send you details related to you September interview date and time', but second one something like: 'We are not able to send you the interview time details this week, due to the fact that we are overwhelmed with response. Therefore, please allow us until next week to respond back to you with a final decision and to confirm potential interview times and dates.'
So, from confirmed interview to 'potential interview'. Parsons again... If I got an euro for every time they've done this, I would have for decent 2 pints of Guinness. Enough to get me start the day.

Anyways, any good advice on this? I'm not new to Middle East, spent 5 years there, but never been to KSA. And no, I don't think ME countries 'shit holes'. My life was good there and I respected their hospitality. Hence, maybe coming back :-)

jam25mack Sep 9th 2019 7:49 am

Re: Parsons contacting people for Yanbu - again

KSA is kicking off big time. There's several Giga/Mega projects, which we (Jacobs) are involved in.

Lots of work there if you want it. I wouldn't limit yourself to Parsons. Maybe talk to some recruitment consultancies.

HeyJoe Sep 9th 2019 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12733330)
KSA is kicking off big time. There's several Giga/Mega projects, which we (Jacobs) are involved in.

Lots of work there if you want it. I wouldn't limit yourself to Parsons. Maybe talk to some recruitment consultancies.

You are definitely right about not limiting myself in talking just to one company, but in the old days I use to talk to several at the same time when searching for a new opportunity. You would be surprised (or not) to know that almost all consultancies insisted to know how much you're asking for way before interviewing progresses and they do the cutting based on that. The only times I had serious conversations with a consultancy is if a role is client based, which happened with CH2M and Parsons and once with Louis Berger. Unfortunately, happened when we got babies so couldn't move for another 6 months. Working on Client side is way better than working for a consultancy.

weasel decentral Sep 10th 2019 3:52 am

Yanbu will age your lungs by 10 years for every 1 year that you are there, to be avoided I think.

HeyJoe Sep 10th 2019 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12733679)
Yanbu will age your lungs by 10 years for every 1 year that you are there, to be avoided I think.

you think air's any different from Qatar or UAE?

weasel decentral Sep 11th 2019 5:53 am

Originally Posted by HeyJoe (Post 12733893)
you think air's any different from Qatar or UAE?

Having been in all three, yes I do. Yanbu is like breathing petrol vapour

HeyJoe Sep 11th 2019 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12734013)
Having been in all three, yes I do. Yanbu is like breathing petrol vapour

You just totally demoralized me...
Air in Doha smells bad too, you know

PeterOwen Sep 12th 2019 10:52 am

There's no difference between all gulf countries except for Dubai

jam25mack Sep 12th 2019 11:15 am

Originally Posted by PeterOwen (Post 12734601)
There's no difference between all gulf countries except for Dubai

Worst comment ever....

scot47 Sep 16th 2019 4:42 am

Yanbu and Jubail are both bad. Area arounbd Dhahran/Dammam/Khobar is bad for air pollution from motor cars. I contracted COPD while working in Dhahran. So it goes.

jam25mack Sep 16th 2019 7:59 am

The whole country is a bit smokey at the moment....

HeyJoe Sep 28th 2019 4:26 pm

How much would a family of 5 accommodation cost?
How much time does it take before my family can join me?
How is schooling?
Anybody has any idea about in-house childcare?

ariskar Sep 30th 2019 4:02 pm

Air quality is affected by:
-Dust storms (really quite similar throughout the region, though local topography may affect exposure)
-Cars and other urban centre activities (more prominent in large cities, Dubai is among the worst).*
-Construction activity (this is a big one: massive projects in cities increase a lot the particles concentrations, prominent in GCC capitals and large cities like Dubai)*
-Oil and gas mega projects

* More often than not, less affluent neighbourhoods have better air quality due to reduced construction and scale of projects along with reduced traffic.

abadr Oct 10th 2019 7:36 pm

HeyJoe sorry to intervene, am a structural engineer in the US with no previous experience in ME, I was wondering if you can share the HR resource if its okay by you since am trying to see my chances in the region

Thanks in advance