Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Palm Jumeirah Marina Residences - does anyone know these buildings?

Palm Jumeirah Marina Residences - does anyone know these buildings?

Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

mideastexpat1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Palm Jumeirah Marina Residences - does anyone know these buildings?

Hello All, I hope someone may be able to advise me - we are thinking about buying an apartment in Marina Residences on the Palm Jumeirah and I was wondering if any of you have lived there or perhaps know someone who has? We just wanted to make sure there were no major issues in these properties before buying. Many thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 3:53 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Palm Jumeirah Marina Residences - does anyone know these buildings?

Originally Posted by mideastexpat1234
Hello All, I hope someone may be able to advise me - we are thinking about buying an apartment in Marina Residences on the Palm Jumeirah and I was wondering if any of you have lived there or perhaps know someone who has? We just wanted to make sure there were no major issues in these properties before buying. Many thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Are you currently residing in Dubai?
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 4:54 am
Just Joined

mideastexpat1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there, yes - we have lived in Dubai for 6 years but have never bought property here before.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Ask them to show you the basement sump system. I know for a fact that one of the buildings has sustained sump damage and believe that the entire ground foor would soon get flooded if the back-up also failed.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 7:16 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mideastexpat1234
Hello there, yes - we have lived in Dubai for 6 years but have never bought property here before.
So why would you even consider doing so now? Unless you believe some of the excrement being doled out by JLL or other property 'experts'... The same guys who said the worst would be over 12 - 18 months after the bubble burst...

Dubai is STILL deflating, so why throw money into an ever-expanding hole?
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 8:26 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Ask them to show you the basement sump system. I know for a fact that one of the buildings has sustained sump damage and believe that the entire ground foor would soon get flooded if the back-up also failed.
What sort of bullshit is that? Most buildings in the world with a basement will flood if the pumps and the back up pumps failed.
Sump damage? A sump is a hole in the ground. I'd love the see the OP wandering around trying to ascertain the condition of the basement sump system
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
What sort of bullshit is that? Most buildings in the world with a basement will flood if the pumps and the back up pumps failed.
Sump damage? A sump is a hole in the ground. I'd love the see the OP wandering around trying to ascertain the condition of the basement sump system
Ha ha ha ha ha ....
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of bullshit is that? Most buildings in the world with a basement will flood if the pumps and the back up pumps failed.Sump damage? A sump is a hole in the ground. I'd love the see the OP wandering around trying to ascertain the condition of the basement sump system
Okay then, smart ass, its a submersible pump that was damaged. I was shown it so don't bullshit everybody into thinking these premises are free of flood risk. The building is roughly 3-4 years old (I am told) but the pump is more than twice that age. Make of that as you will.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/palm-...es-423595.html
They change the rules all the time..
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 2:41 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Okay then, smart ass, its a submersible pump that was damaged. I was shown it so don't bullshit everybody into thinking these premises are free of flood risk. The building is roughly 3-4 years old (I am told) but the pump is more than twice that age. Make of that as you will.
cool your jets there dude all i make from that is you don't know much about building systems. these pumps are only designed to deal with minor water events and do have standby systems.
however put your thinking cap on for a major flooding event, the municipal system is already at capacity and the external water levels will be higher than the level you are pumping to..glad to educate
I am not defending this building by the way, all buildings have this problem.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

cool your jets there dude all i make from that is you don't know much about building systems. these pumps are only designed to deal with minor water events and do have standby systems.
however put your thinking cap on for a major flooding event, the municipal system is already at capacity and the external water levels will be higher than the level you are pumping to..glad to educate
I am not defending this building by the way, all buildings have this problem.
why bother fitting them then?

tch. you engineers - let the accountants design this stuff and make some money on it.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 1:34 pm
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by Millhouse
why bother fitting them then?

tch. you engineers - let the accountants design this stuff and make some money on it.
just for burst pipes and that sort of thing (and building insurers), in the uk they are mainly used to drain the rainwater coming in on the wheels of cars. but here the floors are flat so the water doesn't even run to drains.
only be worried when the pumps are running all the time, it means then they are using them to deal with leaks under the structure.
I must be in a very educational mood today.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Bearing in mind that the sea is only a few feet below ground level on the Palm Jumeirah complex, do you honestly think that these massive water pumps are for emergency use only? I was told by an engineer that a series of such pumps has to work 24/7 to keep the basement free of water. Yes, they will have a stand-by pump available but they need somebody to be alert enough to switch it over. This is Dubai, where anything goes.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:06 pm
Knee deep and rising

Bearing in mind that the sea is only a few feet below ground level on the Palm Jumeirah complex, do you honestly think that these massive water pumps are for emergency use only? I was told by an engineer that a series of such pumps has to work 24/7 to keep the basement free of water. Yes, they will have a stand-by pump available but they need somebody to be alert enough to switch it over. This is Dubai, where anything goes.
I did mention only be worried if they are running 24/7 then they are dealing with structure leaks, or a system using a floor over a wet underfloor. Stand by pumps are automatic nobody manually switches them... you are lionheart aren't you?

Last edited by weasel decentral; Oct 25th 2011 at 2:14 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

out of curiosity how much are the aprts going for? I saw a couple last year before i moved into my current one - i gotta say the handful of apartments that i saw were awesome as in huge and with great views - as to the structural guarantee, that i aint got a clue about , but atheistically the aprts were very nice....i guess that pretty much sums up Dubai, both the buildings and the people

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.