British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   PADI course in the UAE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/padi-course-uae-606742/)

Cham128 May 2nd 2009 11:40 am

PADI course in the UAE

Anyone taken one in the UAE? I'm thinking about doing one when i'm out there next and wondered if anyone had any recommendations of where to do it?

I have googled and i've seen places in fujairah etc but i'm more after anyone that's had personal experience of a company or knows someone that has?

Madam Medusa May 2nd 2009 11:44 am

Re: PADI course in the UAE

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 7535142)
Anyone taken one in the UAE? I'm thinking about doing one when i'm out there next and wondered if anyone had any recommendations of where to do it?

I have googled and i've seen places in fujairah etc but i'm more after anyone that's had personal experience of a company or knows someone that has?

inselaffen and i did it at the al boom place in jumeirah, they then take you for the final dive in fujeirah, but they seemed pretty good (err...actually this is a bit of a lie, i gave up after part 3, but inselaffen finished)...sure inselaffen will give more advice...

MM, xx

Inselaffen May 2nd 2009 11:47 am

defiitely go with Al Boom.

Cham128 May 2nd 2009 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7535147)
defiitely go with Al Boom.

wonder how that will look to US intelligence service, I went to the UAE and qualified at al boom lol...

I'll look into it, that works though as i'd be based in Dubai anyhoo, cheers!

Nic1 May 2nd 2009 1:55 pm

We used the guys at the JBH - were great with the kids, and good on the advanced courses too. Nice people.

N

Inselaffen May 2nd 2009 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Nic1 (Post 7535344)
We used the guys at the JBH - were great with the kids, and good on the advanced courses too. Nice people.

N

JBH Dive centre is very expensive compared to the others.
I qualified with Al Boom and did a few dives with them in Fujairah. I also did some dives with other Fujairah dive centres but never found them to be as good as Al Boom.

Unfortunately I havent been able to do any diving here. Was just about to go but my current employment situation rules that out.

Roadking May 2nd 2009 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 7535142)

I know a couple of PADI instructors who might be able to help. PM me if interested and I'll forward their details.

mysteryme May 3rd 2009 8:51 am

My friend runs a Dive centre in Musandam - its really pretty up there and gives you the chance to get out of Dubai for a bit.

Here is his website

http://www.discovernomad.com/

taylor25 May 3rd 2009 9:14 am

i did the full open water PADI course last year, did mine at the JBH, my dad is a Dive master and goes diving with the guys their often

No idea on cost though as my dad paid, will ask him..lol
Also you can take in guests and they only have to pay 100dhs for the day to use all jbh pools etc instead of the usual 440pp, you obvisously get in free.
I still used to walk in the side entrace with my dive folder months after i had finshed, and take my daughter most days for free!!

Diving in dubai is awful though (jumeriah beach anyway) furjeriah, mussundam, oman etc all good though.

kelly

Cham128 May 3rd 2009 9:43 am

cheers guys getting out of dubai would be quite nice, ok this might be a really stupid question but i haven't dived before, but i do have a few wetsuits here from my surfing days, are these any good for that kind of thing or am i better off just getting one from there?

don't suppose the water is that cold there is it?

mysteryme May 3rd 2009 9:47 am

the dive centre where you do your padi will provide you with a wetsuit. the water is getting warmer now - but even in summer its always a bit chilly once you go beyond the thermocline!

musandam is really really lovely - the mountains are beautiful and great diving. Lima rock is a beautiful dive site!

Blue Cat May 3rd 2009 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 7537120)
cheers guys getting out of dubai would be quite nice, ok this might be a really stupid question but i haven't dived before, but i do have a few wetsuits here from my surfing days, are these any good for that kind of thing or am i better off just getting one from there?

don't suppose the water is that cold there is it?

I would have thought a wetsuit would have been more to protect yourself not keep yourself warm. The sea is cold in the winter but like a sauna in the summer.

mysteryme May 3rd 2009 9:50 am

in summer i sometimes go down with only a t-shirt and some leggings for protection (urchins, coral etc) - getting the wetsuit on and off is a terrible mission! yep, water really hot for the first 10 metres or so, after that it gets cold......ah now all this talk has made me want to go diving - perfect weather too today :thumbsup:

Inselaffen May 3rd 2009 10:48 am

I've dived off Dibba during the winter and never worn a wetsuit. Most people do even during the summer but for protection. You quite often get hydroid stingers in the water there. I was always lucky.

Cham128 May 3rd 2009 12:54 pm

can't see myself wearing leggings i'll take my wetsuit lol...

as for everything floating in the water trying to kill/sting me, not a great ad for diving is it? lol

i'm only kidding i'm not that much of a big girls blouse