British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   PADI or BSAC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/padi-bsac-313252/)

Jellybean Jul 11th 2005 12:04 pm

PADI or BSAC

My 10 yo has just got his certificate from BSAC for "Snorkel Diver"...a great 5 week course, which included a open water snorkel and a "try dive" with tanks. Next year he will start his course for scuba.

Hubby has PADI advanced, have heard various pros and cons about both PADI and BSAC...not sure who to go with > comments......

Eeyore Jul 11th 2005 1:17 pm

Re: PADI or BSAC

PADI seems to be cheaper and faster - I qualified in 3 days from a standing start in Florida about 15 years ago, for a couple of hundred quid. At that time, BSAC seemed to be much more expensive and take much longer.

Maybe BSAC turns out better divers... but I would guess that for most people, who'll just do weekend reef dives, PADI is probably more than adequate. If you're planning on doing serious technical dives you'll need advanced training anyway.

Jellybean Jul 11th 2005 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by GarethR
PADI seems to be cheaper and faster - I qualified in 3 days from a standing start in Florida about 15 years ago, for a couple of hundred quid. At that time, BSAC seemed to be much more expensive and take much longer.

Maybe BSAC turns out better divers... but I would guess that for most people, who'll just do weekend reef dives, PADI is probably more than adequate. If you're planning on doing serious technical dives you'll need advanced training anyway.

Thanks G that fits with the info I have been hearing....in my words BSAC are more anal and PADI are a bit more free with their certificates. If I am thinking of my 10 year old I would def go with the anal :D

Welivehere Jul 11th 2005 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jellybean
Thanks G that fits with the info I have been hearing....in my words BSAC are more anal and PADI are a bit more free with their certificates. If I am thinking of my 10 year old I would def go with the anal :D

PADI is a little more hands on, they rely more on practical experience and practise, whereas BSAC tends to be more theory based and a lot more pool work before you get to the actual diving.

To be honest either would be ok for your son and I would be more concerned with the quality, proficiency, professionalism and safety of the dive school / instructors than the end qualification. :)

Jellybean Jul 11th 2005 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Welivehere
To be honest either would be ok for your son and I would be more concerned with the quality, proficiency, professionalism and safety of the dive school / instructors than the end qualification. :)

Obviously this is important and why I ask as I have heard that one holds this in higher priority than the other. Although I doubt that there is much difference like you say it is down to the individual dive school.

Desert Dweller Jul 12th 2005 1:24 am

PADI is a money making machine whereas BSAC is a club- that is one of the major differences in their approach. BSAC will turn out a much more rounded and theory based diver who, in turn, will be a safer if not slightly more tedious diver to sit next to on the boat trip. PADI will help you enjoy your dive more and is the norm for dive centres around the world.
I used to work at Oman Dive Centre and Al Sawadi Beach Resort and recommend diving there- especially Al Sawadi and the Dayminayat Islands. It's not too far from Dubai for a weekend either.

Jellybean Jul 12th 2005 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
PADI is a money making machine whereas BSAC is a club- that is one of the major differences in their approach. BSAC will turn out a much more rounded and theory based diver who, in turn, will be a safer if not slightly more tedious diver to sit next to on the boat trip. PADI will help you enjoy your dive more and is the norm for dive centres around the world.
I used to work at Oman Dive Centre and Al Sawadi Beach Resort and recommend diving there- especially Al Sawadi and the Dayminayat Islands. It's not too far from Dubai for a weekend either.

So to learn it would be better with BSAC then go out with PADI when qualified?

Jellybean Jul 12th 2005 1:16 pm

bump

Desert Dweller Jul 13th 2005 12:12 am

Bump received.

I would say that if yes, BSAC will produce a better diver, though I beleive PADI may also ask for an extra session once qualified.