British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Overnight in Qatar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/overnight-qatar-644637/)

twisty100 Dec 13th 2009 4:30 pm

Overnight in Qatar

Hi everyone,

On route to SA for the world cup i have a seven hour overnight layover in Qatar. It seems there is no airport in the hotel and i was wondering which hotel is closest to the airport so i dont have to sleep on the floor..!

Thanks,
Rob

Alexa Dec 13th 2009 5:46 pm

Re: Overnight in Qatar

Originally Posted by twisty100 (Post 8169281)
Hi everyone,

On route to SA for the world cup i have a seven hour overnight layover in Qatar. It seems there is no airport in the hotel and i was wondering which hotel is closest to the airport so i dont have to sleep on the floor..!

Thanks,
Rob

The Movenpick is not far, Al Sharq is not far ,closest I would say is the Marriott .

littlejimmy Dec 13th 2009 6:00 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Rob

Not asking for much, eh? :rofl:

Autonomy Dec 13th 2009 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 8169433)
Not asking for much, eh? :rofl:

Little so called Jimmy - you noob. You've obviously never lived in the middle east.

All 5 star hotels here have a 777 rated landing strip as standard.

Mister mister here must be 4 star....

Autonomy Dec 13th 2009 8:33 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Rob

Qatar.... why? Yikes.... They're way worse than Saudi there....

littlejimmy Dec 13th 2009 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8169613)
Little so called Jimmy - you noob. You've obviously never lived in the middle east.

All 5 star hotels here have a 777 rated landing strip as standard.

Mister mister here must be 4 star....

You might jest, but I've seen plans for the Emir's personal terminal at the New Doha International Airport. It is like a ten-star hotel with a landing strip...for an A380.

Millsyisland Dec 14th 2009 2:56 am

Don't rely on taxi's during peak times though to get back to the airport - I went to Doha recently for the England v Brazil match and nearly ended up back at the airport, after several wasted hours wandering round desparately trying to get a taxi.

It seems there are only 6 or 7 in total in Doha.

twisty100 Dec 14th 2009 4:47 am

So there are no hotels at or near the airport then?

Keoic Dec 14th 2009 9:19 am

Hi
The Marriott is the closest - but only just. Next closest is the Ramada.
Both have bars & licensed restaurants.
Neither are low cost

Both have taxis readily available ( normally ) - but of course there's always Murphy.
A new Hotel is just being finished at the Old Airport which will be in walking distance.

Bijilo123 Dec 14th 2009 9:52 am

Why not just stay in the airport - it is ok - no bars as far as I recall but the restaurants are ok and there are a couple of quiet areas where you can rest.

Alexa Dec 14th 2009 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by twisty100 (Post 8170367)
So there are no hotels at or near the airport then?

errrm, did I not tell you there are ?

Alexa Dec 14th 2009 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bijilo123 (Post 8170986)
Why not just stay in the airport - it is ok - no bars as far as I recall but the restaurants are ok and there are a couple of quiet areas where you can rest.

Say what?????
You must be talking about the first class and business terminal for Qatar airways....is twisty flying The Rip off wanna be 5 star thingy?

Bijilo123 Dec 14th 2009 1:06 pm

No, the ordinary terminal - the one with the giant prayer room at the front. The one with the big play area at the side and the not-quite so good restaurant in front of it. The one with the big glass wall where you can see the sunrise. I think its ok - I actually thought it was quite good. I never spent any money in it.

Alexa Dec 14th 2009 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bijilo123 (Post 8171305)
No, the ordinary terminal - the one with the giant prayer room at the front. The one with the big play area at the side and the not-quite so good restaurant in front of it. The one with the big glass wall where you can see the sunrise. I think its ok - I actually thought it was quite good. I never spent any money in it.

Ah yes....well, one man's pleasure is another one's displeasure.

I think it is a dump, plain and simple.

Bijilo123 Dec 14th 2009 3:17 pm

Maybe I need to recalibrate then!;)