British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Out property searching today... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/out-property-searching-today-832337/)

JamesandTamsin Apr 27th 2014 11:41 am

Out property searching today...

Not entirely successful...

Criteria is 3 bedrooms, decent amenities and within 6KM of work. I had "favourited" 9 properties on propertyfinder.qa marketed by 8 different agents. I sent inquiries with my telephone number yesterday evening and have heard back from two of them.

Opening question; "what are your requirements Mr James". My response; "to see the property I've enquired about"! Is it really that hard?

So I'm half way through my two days leave and have yet to be shown a property. Fast losing the will - looks like I'll be living in the Hilton for a while longer then!

mentalist Apr 27th 2014 11:45 am

Re: Out property searching today...

It might help if you indicate where exactly you are. This Forum covers most of the Middle East.

Backinthesand Apr 27th 2014 11:47 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 11236164)
It might help if you indicate where exactly you are. This Forum covers most of the Middle East.

propertyfinder.qa would suggest that they are in Qatar - as would previous posts in other threads

JamesandTamsin Apr 27th 2014 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Backinthesand (Post 11236167)
propertyfinder.qa would suggest that they are in Qatar - as would previous posts in other threads

10/10 for observation; Mentalist gets a 2.

I'll give myself a 3/10 for useful message content. :blink:

soukie Apr 27th 2014 12:49 pm

Your post could apply to all Countries in the gulf as that's the way most property agencies work - the ones on the website or in newspapers often don't exist but are there to draw clients in. We found accomodation in Doha through an agent that was recommended - no fees and she was a Brit. I'll try and find her details and PM you :)

Meow Apr 27th 2014 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Backinthesand (Post 11236167)

Fair enough on the .qa on the initial post, but posters cannot expect others to trawl through previous posts to find info.

There is also a much better chance of getting useful responses if the request is very clear and with a clue in the title. Just saying.

JamesandTamsin Apr 27th 2014 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 11236231)
Your post could apply to all Countries in the gulf as that's the way most property agencies work - the ones on the website or in newspapers often don't exist but are there to draw clients in. We found accomodation in Doha through an agent that was recommended - no fees and she was a Brit. I'll try and find her details and PM you :)

I've quickly come to the same conclusion! I'd appreciate your help if you could find that number - speaking to someone with a moderate comprehension of English would be a step in the right direction! 👌

JamesandTamsin Apr 27th 2014 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11236233)
Fair enough in on the .qa on the initial post, but posters cannot expect others to trawl through previous posts to find info.

There is also a much better chance of getting useful responses if the request is very clear and with a clue in the title. Just saying.

I consider myself more informed about forum etiquette so thank you for that :)

As mentioned previously, 3/10 for useful message content. I'll downgrade that to a 2 in light of the above chastisement :D

Meow Apr 27th 2014 1:40 pm

http://i61.tinypic.com/2yl5rbl.jpg

NorthernLad Apr 27th 2014 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11236288)

Having a bad day?

Millhouse Apr 27th 2014 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by JamesandTamsin (Post 11236276)
I consider myself more informed about forum etiquette so thank you for that :)

As mentioned previously, 3/10 for useful message content. I'll downgrade that to a 2 in light of the above chastisement :D

Don't be so harsh on yourself. I rated you as a solid 4.

How is the one-eyed trouser snake?

busybee2 Apr 27th 2014 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by JamesandTamsin (Post 11236160)
Not entirely successful...

Criteria is 3 bedrooms, decent amenities and within 6KM of work. I had "favourited" 9 properties on propertyfinder.qa marketed by 8 different agents. I sent inquiries with my telephone number yesterday evening and have heard back from two of them.

Opening question; "what are your requirements Mr James". My response; "to see the property I've enquired about"! Is it really that hard?

So I'm half way through my two days leave and have yet to be shown a property. Fast losing the will - looks like I'll be living in the Hilton for a while longer then!

fact of life here in the muddle east, doha just the same as ab dabs and the rest....

Meow Apr 27th 2014 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11236302)
Having a bad day?

Every day at the moment. :(

http://i58.tinypic.com/do2hxf.jpg

Millhouse Apr 27th 2014 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11236332)
Every day at the moment. :(

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6606034176/hBD07A81E/

JamesandTamsin Apr 27th 2014 5:49 pm

Glad to see it was all taken light heartedly! - As an update (for those remotely interested in the original content) we have arranged some viewings tomorrow at a couple of the residencies in West Bay so hopefully something useful will come from that.
So to one and all; “masā’ al-khayr” (Thanks to Google).