British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Orthodontics/brace cost in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/orthodontics-brace-cost-dubai-324864/)

secretdubai Sep 8th 2005 12:35 pm

Orthodontics/brace cost in Dubai

I am thinking (as an adult, so it might be more tricky/expensive than for kids) of having an orthodontic brace fitted as I don't like one side of my teeth.

I currently go to a typically expensive Jumeirah dentist who is wonderful - and I don't mind paying Jumeirah prices for basic dental work because this dentist is so great.

But if the orthodontics they recommend turn out to be really $$$, I will have to consider finding a cheaper place.

Does anyone know (roughly) how much it costs to get a brace and associated treatment - eg Dh10k Dh20k Dh30k? - so I know if what I am quoted is on the high/low/average side?

And obviously any recommendations of excellent and not bank-emptying orthodontic practitioners are very welcome.

Bob Sep 8th 2005 1:36 pm

Re: Orthodontics/brace cost in Dubai

couldn't say for dxb...and it'll depend on the type of treatment, but around here, anything from $30-100K easy.

Border Reiver Sep 8th 2005 2:13 pm

I have to say this is one of those things where the last thing I would look at would be the price. You have to live with the results for the rest of your life so I'd have thought the main thing would be to find a good dentis you trust. And I say that as someone who is terrified of dentists.

Bob Sep 8th 2005 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
I have to say this is one of those things where the last thing I would look at would be the price. You have to live with the results for the rest of your life ...

I don't know, they don't always last a lifetime...my underbite fix certainly wasn't a lifetime fix anyway :D

Eskimo Sep 8th 2005 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
I don't know, they don't always last a lifetime...my underbite fix certainly wasn't a lifetime fix anyway :D

did you wear a retainer ?

Eskimo Sep 8th 2005 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by secretdubai
I am thinking (as an adult, so it might be more tricky/expensive than for kids) of having an orthodontic brace fitted as I don't like one side of my teeth.

I currently go to a typically expensive Jumeirah dentist who is wonderful - and I don't mind paying Jumeirah prices for basic dental work because this dentist is so great.

But if the orthodontics they recommend turn out to be really $$$, I will have to consider finding a cheaper place.

Does anyone know (roughly) how much it costs to get a brace and associated treatment - eg Dh10k Dh20k Dh30k? - so I know if what I am quoted is on the high/low/average side?

And obviously any recommendations of excellent and not bank-emptying orthodontic practitioners are very welcome.

Has anyone (a dentist) given you a malocclusion classification - that will dictate the price - i.e are your teeth crowded, spaced , is the issue upper and lower , do you have wisdom teeth ? (its sometimes referred to by class 1/2/3 and then Div 1/2/3 ) I can get you a local recommendation as I work in this industry . PM me your location :D

Bob Sep 8th 2005 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Eskimo
did you wear a retainer ?

yup, but the nhs doing re-do treatment after 18, and asian jaw bone tends to grow for 6-12 months longer than the rest of the skeleton, so quite a lot of asians have issues...my teeth were perfect after I had work done on them, but after a couple years they went south, and getting it done privately I was quoted £10K and a couple years of work...chopping the jaw out kind of put me off though...could have had part of it on the NHS, £3500, but over a 5 year period...sod that...

secretdubai Sep 8th 2005 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
couldn't say for dxb...and it'll depend on the type of treatment, but around here, anything from $30-100K easy.

I had found some American site where it gave the average for adult braces as US$6,000 - so those prices sound sky high. That said anything goes in Dubai.

I can imagine paying six figures for a full set of veneers and complicated surgery and reconstruction, but my needs (I hope!) are quite light.

Bob Sep 8th 2005 11:04 pm

I had found some American site where it gave the average for adult braces as US$6,000 - so those prices sound sky high. That said anything goes in Dubai.

yeah, but the price quickly goes up if you've got anything more than one bucked tooth :D

Heart of gold Sep 9th 2005 3:59 am

But if the orthodontics they recommend turn out to be really $$, I will have to consider finding a cheaper place.

A friends son recently had braces fitted to the cost of 18'000 Dhs! Shocking :scared: