Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Opinions pls Khalifa A....

Opinions pls Khalifa A....

Old May 21st 2011, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions pls Khalifa A....

Originally Posted by lullabelle
Don't move to MBZ city. you may get a huge villa but there's nothing there except Mussafah, and why on earth would anyone want to go there unless they worked there? I worked there and I will be happy to never see the place again. Even if you can get excellent cheap curries cut price booze.

These housing areas are really not anything like you expect. seeing them on the internet doesn't really prepare you. The distances are far greater than you imagine and some of those places really are very... err....deserty. And not in a romantic, rolling dune way.

My friend lived in Al Reef and to be absolutely honest you would have had to pay me to live there. I'm sure it suits some and each to their own but it is sooooooo far out and soooooo close to the airport and soooooooo oppressive feeling and I thought it was rather scruffy.

Another mate lived in Al Raha and rather liked it - but it goes on for miles. She was close to Al Yasmina school and there seemed to be more happening around there. No facilities though, so if you want a pool/gym etc you will be disappointed.

We looked around off island and the best areas by far were Bain Al Jesrain, Mangrove, seashore, and Golf Gardens. The apartments at Al Bandar are stunning but there are some noise issues from Yas.

Personally i would go for a smaller villa in a better area. Or even a lovely apartment. Cheaper on the chiller and a better quality of life I think.
Al Reef will get more loud as they use the new runway, they are now starting to use the new tower, and when the bad weather came the other month they changed the direction of the approach and so for a few days in al reef everyone was complaining about the noise, as they hadnt heard it before (the phases that people are living in now are furthest away) so it will only get worse with the new phases (med i think), when they use it 24/7.
Old May 22nd 2011, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by busybee2
hahahaha still alive......... and its my birthday today so another year closer to death as you put it!!!

if you are going to be going to CIS my first choice would be KCA, I am glad that I dont have to go into KCA from the main mussafah road, as getting off the main road people push in and its 2 lanes going up the slip road on a 1 lane road, and then people pushing to get onto the main road and then big traffic then at the roundabout, pretty slow going up to the next roundabout which is where you would then turn right upto cis. Al Reef is also ok but much further commute, but you are then having to sit at the new traffic lights which take an age to change, but you can then go through the back way into CIS and therefore miss a lot of the traffic up from all the other schools such as Raha, Yasmina, Gems, Chouefiat, etc
Thanks for that BB.....

Looking at a (not very clear) map I got the impression that Al Raha is pretty convienient for CIS - by which I mean no big scary roads to deal with for a while at least. From Al Raha would I have to do the main road you talked about? How long roughly do you think the journey will take? I like the idea of an independant villa but frankly feel that being in an expatty style area would be better for helping the kids to settle in a bit faster.

Thanks!
Lisa
Old May 22nd 2011, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leepee
Thanks for that BB.....

Looking at a (not very clear) map I got the impression that Al Raha is pretty convienient for CIS - by which I mean no big scary roads to deal with for a while at least. From Al Raha would I have to do the main road you talked about? How long roughly do you think the journey will take? I like the idea of an independant villa but frankly feel that being in an expatty style area would be better for helping the kids to settle in a bit faster.

Thanks!
Lisa
ok al raha is long it depends on which community you are in, its runs for about 8kms. basicially yasmina school is one end and then it stops at raha school. then a roundabout with the police station on it and raha gardens starts again all the way to the new traffic lights near to etihad plaza. its a long road, with one roundabout in the middle by raha school otherwise you then have to drive all the way down and up again, they have a parallel road at the backside which you can go into raha gardens, but thats got speed bumps. this is not the main road i am talking about that is the main motorway either channel st or mussafah road.

raha is very close to cis. best is the newest bits of raha ie from police station down to etihad plaza this the block that cis is in. the only scary bit would be raha school roundabout the expat mums there are terrible. from raha gardens to cis roughly 5 mins drive.

yes if you are in a compound they can make friends but also there are a few little compounds dotted around kca too.
Old May 23rd 2011, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Thanks a lot for that....Makes things much clearer!

Hubby was out this weekend to meet everyone so will just sit back and wait and see what happens!!

Have a good one
Lisa
Old May 24th 2011, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

John7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by leepee
Hi all

We are looking at a possible move to Abu Dhabi in a few months time. If it does come off I would be trying to get the kids into the Canadian International School (they are currently at school in Calgary, Canada). I am pretty sure it is located in or near to Khalifa A.

Looking online I keep finding pretty reasonable priced housing options(3-4bed around 165 - 180,000 dirhams) - not something I was really expecting. I am wondering if maybe it isn't such a great area?? Or, have prices really come down. This is a move that was postponed and when I was looking last yr things seemed more pricey??

Would really appreciate opinions
Thanks
Lisa
It is far a way from downtown, it is basically villas, and not much of foreigners living in it, if you have a budget in the range of Dhs. 165,000 - 200,000, then you may consider having a good flat in a tower inside Abu Dhabi city itself, being new to the country this will be more convenient to you in terms of shopping, schools ...etc

Renting a villa, means you will pay electricity bills, and for a villa it might cost you as much as Dhs. 2,000 a month, but having a flat ususally the electricity bill will reach upto Dhs. 150 a month, but you need to make sure that the flat with a Central AC, which is paid by the owner
Old May 24th 2011, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John7
Renting a villa, means you will pay electricity bills, and for a villa it might cost you as much as Dhs. 2,000 a month, but having a flat ususally the electricity bill will reach upto Dhs. 150 a month, but you need to make sure that the flat with a Central AC, which is paid by the owner

Depends upon how cold you like your villa and how much you wash your car and water the garden, surely?

We have a 5 bedroom villa in KCA with garden and the average monthly bill for Electricity & Water for the 6 months November to April worked out at 490/- per month.
Old May 24th 2011, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is far a way from downtown, it is basically villas, and not much of foreigners living in it, if you have a budget in the range of Dhs. 165,000 - 200,000, then you may consider having a good flat in a tower inside Abu Dhabi city itself, being new to the country this will be more convenient to you in terms of shopping, schools ...etc

what no many foreigners in khalifa city, far from it, it will be mostly expat.
Old May 25th 2011, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

John7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by busybee2
what no many foreigners in khalifa city, far from it, it will be mostly expat.
Yes I agree with you, but the area is basically residential area for locals, some locals they have one villa and some of them they have compounds, in which they are renting for foriegners, unlike Al Raha and other towns which is managed and owned semi-government organizations
Old May 25th 2011, 6:47 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

Khalifa A and Bain Al Jasrain are hugely mixed with many many expats and not so many locals as the locals realised they could rent out their villas to expats.
Old May 25th 2011, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes I agree with you, but the area is basically residential area for locals, some locals they have one villa and some of them they have compounds, in which they are renting for foriegners, unlike Al Raha and other towns which is managed and owned semi-government organizations
the houses/land in kca is ofted gifted to locals and so they will build either a house for their family or if they dont need because they do not want to travel off island they build a few houses etc on the plot and rent them out so they can rent themselves on the island. raha gardens is a private development which can only be owned by locals, this is not gifted, there is a difference, and when it was being built there was every intention that the owners would be the end user, well it just didnt end up that way, there are more expats to locals living in raha gardens. but a lot of the reasoning is that people do not want to move off island unless they have to.