Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Opinions pls Khalifa A....

Opinions pls Khalifa A....

Old May 13th 2011, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold
Default Opinions pls Khalifa A....

Hi all

We are looking at a possible move to Abu Dhabi in a few months time. If it does come off I would be trying to get the kids into the Canadian International School (they are currently at school in Calgary, Canada). I am pretty sure it is located in or near to Khalifa A.

Looking online I keep finding pretty reasonable priced housing options(3-4bed around 165 - 180,000 dirhams) - not something I was really expecting. I am wondering if maybe it isn't such a great area?? Or, have prices really come down. This is a move that was postponed and when I was looking last yr things seemed more pricey??

Would really appreciate opinions
Thanks
Lisa
Old May 13th 2011, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions pls Khalifa A....

It's out of the main town so not as built up, without so many immediate amenities. There are loads of villas that have come on the market and prices have come down over the past year. To get to a big supermarket is around 20 minutes drive but there are smaller shops near by. KCA (khalifa city a) has the pink shops and Al Raha mall. There are also loads of restaurants etc on nearby Yas.

KCB is 10 mins from KCA and is close to the MBZ mall.

Driving into AD town takes 40 minutes to the corniche, which is the furthest point away..

My friend has her DD at CIS and is very happy.
Old May 13th 2011, 7:32 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
It's out of the main town so not as built up, without so many immediate amenities. There are loads of villas that have come on the market and prices have come down over the past year. To get to a big supermarket is around 20 minutes drive but there are smaller shops near by. KCA (khalifa city a) has the pink shops and Al Raha mall. There are also loads of restaurants etc on nearby Yas.

KCB is 10 mins from KCA and is close to the MBZ mall.

Driving into AD town takes 40 minutes to the corniche, which is the furthest point away..

My friend has her DD at CIS and is very happy.
DD??
Old May 13th 2011, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

DustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really nice

Originally Posted by leepee
Hi all

We are looking at a possible move to Abu Dhabi in a few months time. If it does come off I would be trying to get the kids into the Canadian International School (they are currently at school in Calgary, Canada). I am pretty sure it is located in or near to Khalifa A.

Looking online I keep finding pretty reasonable priced housing options(3-4bed around 165 - 180,000 dirhams) - not something I was really expecting. I am wondering if maybe it isn't such a great area?? Or, have prices really come down. This is a move that was postponed and when I was looking last yr things seemed more pricey??

Would really appreciate opinions
Thanks
Lisa
KCA has a lot of new villas, especially around the eastern end, so there's some fierce competition among the owners. There's an Abela supermarket at Etihad Plaza only a couple of minutes away as well as Spinneys and bottle shop across the Dubai highway at Bandar, also only a couple of minutes.

DB
Old May 13th 2011, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Watch the film Mad Max - I think it was filmed in KCA, if not it will certainly give you a good idea of what it's like there.

Last edited by Millhouse; May 13th 2011 at 7:50 am.
Old May 13th 2011, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
DD??
daughter
Old May 13th 2011, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Watch the film Mad Max - I think it was filmed in KCA, if not it will certainly give you a good idea of what it's like there.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 13th 2011, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

So if I wanted to avoid the Mad Max scenario could anyone suggest areas not too far from KCA that are a little less post apocalypse?? I would really like to keep driving time to school to a minimum...

Thanks for the help!
Lisa
Old May 13th 2011, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calm down and just look when you get here. Loads of people are happy with KCA and KCB. Don't get too spooked by poster's descriptions as we all walk in different shoes.

If you get into CIS you will want to be towards the edge of town at least.
Old May 13th 2011, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Ok...Have taken deep breath!!

Only reason for planning is that my husband is heading out next Thursday and I can get him to have a quick look at a few areas. From past move experiences that doesn't tell you that much about an area.....House prices often do though.....

Definitely do want to be by the school....Just don't want to be there at the expense of everything else!
Old May 14th 2011, 1:16 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

daughter
Why not 'D' then, or go the whole hog and say 'daughter'

Personally I think KCA, KCB used to be a complete shithole. May have improved over the last year but I doubt it.

Used to be full of mini labour camps, with streets covered in litter and stinking of shit.

I used to live in Al Raha Gardens, so I know.

Our villa in Mangrove Village will be coming up in July. That is quite near and far far better than Al Raha Gardens or a villa in KCA.
Old May 14th 2011, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Why not 'D' then, or go the whole hog and say 'daughter'
Commander, i'm not going to argue with you about a very common usage of forum abbreviation. It is DD for Dear Daughter. It may irritate the bejesus out of you but it's certainly not something i invented by my itty bitty self.
Old May 14th 2011, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leepee
So if I wanted to avoid the Mad Max scenario could anyone suggest areas not too far from KCA that are a little less post apocalypse?? I would really like to keep driving time to school to a minimum...

Thanks for the help!
Lisa
Al Raha Gardens
Old May 14th 2011, 6:37 am
banned

Commander, i'm not going to argue with you about a very common usage of forum abbreviation. It is DD for Dear Daughter. It may irritate the bejesus out of you but it's certainly not something i invented by my itty bitty self.
No problems, it is a really annoying phrase though. More akin to Expatwoman. DS,DH,DD, is there a DM for the maid?? what the ****??

Anyway, back ontopic (I'm aware I took it off topic)

I was in KCA this morning and its still as bad as ever in my opinion.

ARG is okay, a lot better than when I lived there. There are loads more facilities nearby.

I would go for ARG if your budget allows.
Old May 14th 2011, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

No problems, it is a really annoying phrase though. More akin to Expatwoman. DS,DH,DD, is there a DM for the maid?? what the ****??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.