Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Opinions...No degree. Took a job in Qatar for 18,000/month

Opinions...No degree. Took a job in Qatar for 18,000/month

Old Dec 15th 2014, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Opinions...No degree. Took a job in Qatar for 18,000/month

Love the attitude....good luck with everything
Old Dec 15th 2014, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

init2winit02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the update. Helps some of us that are considering the move. All the best.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cdn3
Just thought I'd give a quick update...

So the job I was talking about never materialized. The day I was supposed to leave Canada kept getting pushed back until I no longer heard from my potential employer any more.

Fast forward to the present and I am now in Doha working for a completely different company.

I decided to bite the bullet and come out to Qatar to explore some opportunities. I landed a gig as a PM for 20,000/month with a car. Right now it's a three month contract that will be renegotiated after the 3 months is up.

I'm Managing a project right now and if all goes well I hope to renegotiate for added accommodation. I'll be staying with my family for the three months.

I'm just rounding out my first month here and I can honestly say, aside from my housing expense we've managed to find ways to live a similar lifestyle that we did in Canada.

My wife, son, and I are able to get a decent meal out to eat for not much more than 300 riyals, at places like Paul. We realize we can't really do much splurges on shopping for clothes and the like because they are way overpriced compared to Canada. We used to shop at outlet stores in Canada anyways and bought stuff on sale.

500 riyals each week for groceries has seemed adequate enough so far, and we can see us realistically spending 2,500/month.

I pretty much went from making just above the poverty line to well over $70k/year.

A Honda City cost us 2,200 riyals/month to rent. You have an IMAX theater here so we got to see the Hobbit. I wanted to go watch Horrible Bosses 2 but I'm assuming it's censored so that would be pointless.

Internet is great here, got myself a MyFi from Ooredoo and a Hala package for my phone for now.

I got a great position, I get to come and go as I please, full autonomy over my work. Now I just gotta figure out how to do the actual work, faking it until you make it only lasts for so long

Thanks for all the great feedback guys.

Like the great Johnny Knoxville once said, "Take a deep breath and say **** it!"
Great attitude lad !
Old Dec 16th 2014, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

brownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nice
Smile Re: Opinions...No degree. Took a job in Qatar for 18,000/month

don't know what the project entails but above all do not trust anyone!Keep your finger on the pulse walk the site ask questions all the time and at those meetings be tough !!!
Old Dec 20th 2014, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

I rejected an offer in qatar for 35k QAR / month, nothing included. 18k is not going to cut it.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 7:19 am
"The Seeker"

Leannmean is an unknown quantity at this point

"Take a deep breath and say **** it!" Thats the spirit !
good luck !
Old Dec 21st 2014, 7:20 am
"The Seeker"

Leannmean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Debowing
I rejected an offer in qatar for 35k QAR / month, nothing included. 18k is not going to cut it.
Qatar is shit with all that exit visa BS , IMO
Old Dec 26th 2014, 10:36 am
Just Joined

cdn3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Debowing
Our situations are completely different, perspectives are not the same, and our lives are entirely separate.

I wish you all the best, but could you enlighten me as to why you did not accept it and what you were making when you were offered the position?

So far, things have been quite well aside from the complete lack of actual work there is to do. I'm sure not all companies are this way but there is no formal work processes, departments, or even job titles. I've been working endlessly on many different faucets of the business just because there is a lot of nothing being done day to day. My God, a week can go by with literally nothing being accomplished, it's astounding to me. I don't need a big office to do nothing, I can do that at home.

So I'm still figuring my way around things and trying to be as useful as possible. So far, so good. One thing I'm trying to get more information on is medical insurance, Hamad is free but the state of their emergency waiting room is a little concerning. So many sick people in such tight quarters, you'd be lucky if you don't walk out with something else.

--- Thanks to all the well wishes, I really appreciate it. We'll see how long my attitude keeps up
Old Dec 31st 2014, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

cdn3 is an unknown quantity at this point

My work visa was issued today and now I have to undergo the medical screening and finger printing before getting my ID. So it looks like it's official now, well at least I get my ID.