Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Opinion on AD salary package

Opinion on AD salary package

Old Apr 12th 2021, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinion on AD salary package

One other thing, tenants have to pay an estate agent fee of 5% of the lease value. This being the case, make sure you force your agent to do all the paperwork and earn that money. A good agent will attend to all that, and ensure the property de-snagging goes OK too.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Financially, you’re going to be ok. I think you’ll be able to save - and certainly more than you save now if your net take home is 2K.

just keep it sensible, and don’t get drawn into the BS (beach clubs, golf for the kids, etc). Try and cook and don’t expect to be using the same brands as back home (local yogurt is cheap, imported U.K. yogurt is crazy expensive).

A couple of things to remember: The summer sucks real bad and there is nothing to do and you’re all inside until 4pm everyday, and the wife will go crazy - she needs to get to the mum groups and friends as soon as possible.

good luck with your adventure. Embrace the change and make the most of it. Many fail but many get it to work and stay for years.

unless you’re importing a whole container then it’s not worth bringing selective items like a washing machine or TV. There is a thriving secondhand market for this stuff.

Old Apr 12th 2021, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

w_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exeter16
Hi w_scott,

It's for an assistant professor position. Been teaching for almost 10 years but just received my PhD in 2019.
Any experience before the PhD doesn't count. They always look at teaching experience post PhD.
As assistant professor, I think your salary is good but I wonder why they don't provide accommodation, which is the norm in most universities. The school education assistance is generous compared to universities in UAE. Is it Khalifa University?
Old Apr 12th 2021, 8:59 am
Just Joined

exeter16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Opinion on AD salary package

Originally Posted by w_scott
Any experience before the PhD doesn't count. They always look at teaching experience post PhD.
As assistant professor, I think your salary is good but I wonder why they don't provide accommodation, which is the norm in most universities. The school education assistance is generous compared to universities in UAE. Is it Khalifa University?
It seems that the 33,993 AED includes housing allowance (written as cost of living subsidy) and my basic is 13,993 AED. I'd rather not say, but definitely not KU
Old Apr 12th 2021, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Financially, you’re going to be ok. I think you’ll be able to save - and certainly more than you save now if your net take home is 2K.

just keep it sensible, and don’t get drawn into the BS (beach clubs, golf for the kids, etc). Try and cook and don’t expect to be using the same brands as back home (local yogurt is cheap, imported U.K. yogurt is crazy expensive).

A couple of things to remember: The summer sucks real bad and there is nothing to do and you’re all inside until 4pm everyday, and the wife will go crazy - she needs to get to the mum groups and friends as soon as possible.

good luck with your adventure. Embrace the change and make the most of it. Many fail but many get it to work and stay for years.

unless you’re importing a whole container then it’s not worth bringing selective items like a washing machine or TV. There is a thriving secondhand market for this stuff.
Thanks Millhouse. I guess we'll just have to adapt, I'm sure we'll be alright. Not planning to have a fancy lifestyle, just trying to save up for kids' college/uni tbh, and maybe a slightly more comfortable life. Looking forward to starting our new chapter in AD, a bit nervous but I think that's normal, given the fact that we've never been to the UAE.

Good to know that secondhand market is a big thing there! We're big on secondhand items here in the UK too, so probably will consider that!
Old Apr 12th 2021, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by csdf
One other thing, tenants have to pay an estate agent fee of 5% of the lease value. This being the case, make sure you force your agent to do all the paperwork and earn that money. A good agent will attend to all that, and ensure the property de-snagging goes OK too.

Thanks for the heads up! Any suggestions on unreliable agents to avoid? Or perhaps good ones to consider?
Old Apr 12th 2021, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I sent you a private message with a suggestion.

Embrace the change and make the most of it. Many fail but many get it to work and stay for years.
You and I are now esteemed old members of this board...any other regulars who've been around this long?
Old Apr 12th 2021, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

clergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond repute

Having just left after a long time in the sandpit, doing something similar to yourself in the large vocational college system, I can say that as long as your wife gets some work, you'll be fine on that salary. It's a real shame that they've done that to the basic, as that is really one of the advantages of working in the UAE. They're really chipping away at the reasons to be there. From my experience, don't expect to save anything until your second 3-year contract, as you'll have sussed things out then and bought your long-term items (furniture, car, etc.). I'm shocked at the salary you're getting in the UK, that's really low. But you should realise that working the UAE will do your academic career little good. Just remember this, as someone told me long ago...abandon all ideas of academic integrity...you're here for the money. Go with your eyes wide open and best of luck.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by clergy
Having just left after a long time in the sandpit, doing something similar to yourself in the large vocational college system, I can say that as long as your wife gets some work, you'll be fine on that salary. It's a real shame that they've done that to the basic, as that is really one of the advantages of working in the UAE. They're really chipping away at the reasons to be there. From my experience, don't expect to save anything until your second 3-year contract, as you'll have sussed things out then and bought your long-term items (furniture, car, etc.). I'm shocked at the salary you're getting in the UK, that's really low. But you should realise that working the UAE will do your academic career little good. Just remember this, as someone told me long ago...abandon all ideas of academic integrity...you're here for the money. Go with your eyes wide open and best of luck.
Hi, thanks ever so much for this. I'm trying to negotiate to have a slightly higher basic salary, I think 13,993 AED is a bit low although they've loaded more on the cost of living subsidy. I was hoping to save more at the end of every year from the gratuity pay. I'm still waiting for them to respond to my requests.

I earn about GBP 31,393 p/a now before tax, NI etc. The average starting salary for an academic post in the UK now is about GBP 34,000 with a PhD (higher in Scotland GBP 41,000). I started my current position before PhD (just awarded in 2019) so perhaps that explains my current pay?

Regarding academic career: this is one of the things that make me contemplate the offer and moving to AD. I'm hoping to develop my academic career but I realise AD might not be the place to do it. Nonetheless, thinking about my family and how we need to survive and save up for our kids' future education makes me think that this stint in AD may be worth it?

Old Apr 12th 2021, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

clergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks ever so much for this. I'm trying to negotiate to have a slightly higher basic salary, I think 13,993 AED is a bit low although they've loaded more on the cost of living subsidy. I was hoping to save more at the end of every year from the gratuity pay. I'm still waiting for them to respond to my requests.

I earn about GBP 31,393 p/a now before tax, NI etc. The average starting salary for an academic post in the UK now is about GBP 34,000 with a PhD (higher in Scotland GBP 41,000). I started my current position before PhD (just awarded in 2019) so perhaps that explains my current pay?

Regarding academic career: this is one of the things that make me contemplate the offer and moving to AD. I'm hoping to develop my academic career but I realise AD might not be the place to do it. Nonetheless, thinking about my family and how we need to survive and save up for our kids' future education makes me think that this stint in AD may be worth it?
I think, as a rule, the basic should be about two-thirds of your total monthly take-home pay, but this may be changing. I don't mean to put you off, by the way. I don't regret my time spent in the UAE at all, it was fantastic, managed to put two kids through excellent schools and save a bundle. The place is great for kids up to the age of 12, I think, beyond that their home country might be better for them. I would say go for it, it'll be an adventure for you.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
I sent you a private message with a suggestion.

You and I are now esteemed old members of this board...any other regulars who've been around this long?
The 2015-2019 recession followed by COVID flushed a lot of them out I came on he 2008 financial services lifeboat from London.

Scamp - he must be crossing 10+ years now too. In what I can only imagine being one of the hardest industries to survive in long-term.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by clergy
I think, as a rule, the basic should be about two-thirds of your total monthly take-home pay, but this may be changing. I don't mean to put you off, by the way. I don't regret my time spent in the UAE at all, it was fantastic, managed to put two kids through excellent schools and save a bundle. The place is great for kids up to the age of 12, I think, beyond that their home country might be better for them. I would say go for it, it'll be an adventure for you.
Thanks clergy! Hopefully we'll survive. I'll try to nego my basic, but a bit worried if they'll see me as this over demanding future employee! I'm pushing for 60K AED education allowance per child and hopefully with that I can put them into a good British school in AD. The goal is to come back home with a good amount of savings, enough for us family and the kids' college/uni. Fingers crossed I'll still be able to get a teaching position in the UK after my stint in AD, whenever that may be. I've heard good things about fellow Brits working in UAE, how they've managed to save up and return home with a more promising future.

Last edited by exeter16; Apr 12th 2021 at 10:44 am.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't count on the end of service. The amount of payment defaults is ridiculous, there is always some reason why it gets cut to shreds. I think you can easily get away with 35k a month total expenses.

I just checked my credit card... 17k for last month (including all utilities, a 5k gym membership). So total was really 12k, + rent 12k = 23k. Maid and one nursery on top makes it about 33k total out. That's about what it averages every month. We hardly go out as we both generally work 6 days and funny hours, but we do entertain reasonably often when we can.

The annual flights home are what eat you + any holidays. You'll probably want to send them all back home for the summer each year as the heat is a bit repressive .

If you want to do due diligence on food costs, download Kibsons - probably the place to get food. Kids clothes are expensive vs. UK but Next online will ship here in 3 days at UK-VAT prices.

Old Apr 12th 2021, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Don't count on the end of service. The amount of payment defaults is ridiculous, there is always some reason why it gets cut to shreds. I think you can easily get away with 35k a month total expenses.

I just checked my credit card... 17k for last month (including all utilities, a 5k gym membership). So total was really 12k, + rent 12k = 23k. Maid and one nursery on top makes it about 33k total out. That's about what it averages every month. We hardly go out as we both generally work 6 days and funny hours, but we do entertain reasonably often when we can.

The annual flights home are what eat you + any holidays. You'll probably want to send them all back home for the summer each year as the heat is a bit repressive .

If you want to do due diligence on food costs, download Kibsons - probably the place to get food. Kids clothes are expensive vs. UK but Next online will ship here in 3 days at UK-VAT prices.
Thanks Millhouse, this is definitely reassuring! I think if we can manage to maintain our current simple lifestyle, we'll be able to save some. We're from Exeter, nothing much to do here really - we usually enjoy walks in the park or perhaps ice-cream or a cuppa by the quay and these usually cost us less than 10 quid. Although the expenses in AD will be way higher, I'll try to keep that in mind and hopefully wife and kids will continue to enjoy simple things for entertainment (I hope I don't sound like a bad father here!). Special treats for birthdays, anniversary or even no occasion once in a while won't hurt I guess.

Talked about the flight home for summer with wife the other day - this is definitely in our list. If we can't do this in the first year, we'll definitely try to make it as a yearly thing second year onwards.

Thanks for suggesting Kibsons - will do that! And I'm sure wife will be thrilled to hear about Next online! She's a big fan!! When you say UK VAT prices, is there a big difference from UK prices? Gotta love Next UK especially their kids' clothing. Super cheap! Hoping for something like Primark in AD will be a long shot I guess?
Old Apr 12th 2021, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Primary school kids you say - recommend you get into the British Club - lifesaver for kids that age (and adults). Loads to do plus food and drink much cheaper than elsewhere. Check it out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.