Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Online retail in UAE - legal issues

Online retail in UAE - legal issues

Old Sep 13th 2011, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Dubai Blue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Online retail in UAE - legal issues

We are just about to launch our website www.murano-lite.com selling Italian blown glass chandeliers in the UAE. I am wondering if anyone knows or can refer an expert on the legal side of this.

In particular I am not sure if we need to register a business in the UAE in order to be able to import the chandeliers from Italy or if online businesses around the world are exempt.

Clearly not every business in the world is registered in UAE but if we want to handle the import as part of the service does this change?

Any info or referrals would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 10:20 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online retail in UAE - legal issues

Originally Posted by Dubai Blue
We are just about to launch our website www.murano-lite.com selling Italian blown glass chandeliers in the UAE. I am wondering if anyone knows or can refer an expert on the legal side of this.

In particular I am not sure if we need to register a business in the UAE in order to be able to import the chandeliers from Italy or if online businesses around the world are exempt.

Clearly not every business in the world is registered in UAE but if we want to handle the import as part of the service does this change?

Any info or referrals would be much appreciated.
To clear shipments, open bank account, hire staff etc you'd certainly need to be registered (either LLC with a local partner or a Freezone entity).

You can try The Rights Lawyers perhaps www.therightslawyers.com

If your customers order from a site located elsewhere and the payment and shipping doesn't require a local presence I don't see why you'd need be registered here - except for your own visa of course...
Old Sep 13th 2011, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info. It makes sense. However, my wife is sponsored by me of course. I have a FZC in Hamriyah for the visa. But this is of no use to the chandelier business whatsoever.

She will be selling to designers around the Gulf including here but all transactions will be made through the site. Maybe the key question is whether she needs to be selling around the Gulf under a trade licence or whether this is irrelevant since all sales go through the site anyway?

Also is it legal to sell using a .ae domain without a trade licence?

Also as part of the service we would like to take delivery of all products at the airport and deliver them personally by hand. Won't customs get suspicious of maybe 10 lamps a month arriving for my wife and demand to see a trade licence for what is obviously trade activity?

I'll check the site you mentioned.

Thanks again for your input. It's much appreciated.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Why is the Free Zone thingy useless? I thought they exist primarily to encourage new businesses like yours?
Old Sep 13th 2011, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Free zone company works great for businesses where there are no physical goods. But you can only import goods into the FZ.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 1:42 pm