Which one?

Old Sep 20th 2009, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of
Default Which one?

I would like to buy a book ahead of my life in Dubai and was wondering if any of you have read either the lonely planet guide or the time out guide, also wondering which of them is the better? Or anything else that would tell me a little about life out there. Not really worried about the historical side, just modern life.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which one?

go to amazon

Type in Dubai Complete Residents Guide.

Its an explorer book, gives you all the lowdown on living here and the hoops you have to jump through on a daily basis.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of

And that's the best one in your opinion?
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:01 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigtaff
And that's the best one in your opinion?
do you want facts and figures and paperwork information , like how to get a visa etc? if so Dubai Explorer I think is the one you will need.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just a general HONEST view of life there, what to avoid, where to go or not to go etc. I think my company will be sorting Visas etc. I don't want a polished view or a load of moaning by an Author that had a bad holiday there 16 years ago, no use to me!
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigtaff
Just a general HONEST view of life there, what to avoid, where to go or not to go etc. I think my company will be sorting Visas etc. I don't want a polished view or a load of moaning by an Author that had a bad holiday there 16 years ago, no use to me!
The explorer is a factual guide rather than a gushing tribute to the UAE - it should be fine for your needs.

If you want honest views of life in the UAE, the people on this site can do that. Just don't ask Lionheart. Or Admon. They're neither of them awfully cheerful types....
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:31 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
The explorer is a factual guide rather than a gushing tribute to the UAE - it should be fine for your needs.

If you want honest views of life in the UAE, the people on this site can do that. Just don't ask Lionheart. Or Admon. They're neither of them awfully cheerful types....
he can ask me though!! life here is what you make it, you can live the hi life and be out 7 nights a week dining in fabulous restaurants, it is all down to choice. I still make a Sunday lunch everyweek
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
he can ask me though!! life here is what you make it, you can live the hi life and be out 7 nights a week dining in fabulous restaurants, it is all down to choice. I still make a Sunday lunch everyweek
It's when you make Sunday lunch every day that you need to start worrying....
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:38 pm
Concierge

It's when you make Sunday lunch every day that you need to start worrying....
I do it on Saturdays what I am trying to say is we pretty much live the same here as we do in the Uk, lunch out a Friday, odd night out, the main difference for us is the weather and the higher standard of living, ie better car and accomodation etc.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I do it on Saturdays what I am trying to say is we pretty much live the same here as we do in the Uk, lunch out a Friday, odd night out, the main difference for us is the weather and the higher standard of living, ie better car and accomodation etc.
Not to mention saving country clubs, felines, construction workers and battered maids and all the other stuff you get up to, BC......
Old Sep 21st 2009, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

better accommodation? where? higher cost (standard of living). yes that may be the case in dxb because there has always been a high supply of housing stock, but if you were to venture down south to the capital then all of the above doesnt factor. so stay in dubai.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 2:55 pm
Concierge

Not to mention saving country clubs, felines, construction workers and battered maids and all the other stuff you get up to, BC......
yeah if I was in the UK I wouldn't be helping battered wives but probably still involved in the cat thing!

Originally Posted by busybee2
better accommodation? where? higher cost (standard of living). yes that may be the case in dxb because there has always been a high supply of housing stock, but if you were to venture down south to the capital then all of the above doesnt factor. so stay in dubai.
since when has there been a high supply of housing stock in Dubai? there may well be now but it has been crazy here for years. If I was living in the UK I am pretty sure I wouldn't be living in a 3 bedroom duplex with a pool, gym, sauna and jacuzzi for FREE
Old Sep 21st 2009, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah if I was in the UK I wouldn't be helping battered wives but probably still involved in the cat thing!

since when has there been a high supply of housing stock in Dubai? there may well be now but it has been crazy here for years. If I was living in the UK I am pretty sure I wouldn't be living in a 3 bedroom duplex with a pool, gym, sauna and jacuzzi for FREE
ok if you compare ab dabs to dxb there has always been more housing stock ever since i have been here. go back 5 years when they started to build the likes of the meadows, arabian ranches etc, which has put how many houses on the market not even mentioning the "big pond" called the marina, even before that how many units are there in the old parts of jumeriah and um seq etc there has always been loads of houses compared to abu dhabi. dxb has many more compounds compared to ad where by they go for one house one plot etc, yes they do have them in some areas of dubai but in abu dhabi i could count the compounds on 2 hands, not so in dxb.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
ok if you compare ab dabs to dxb there has always been more housing stock ever since i have been here. go back 5 years when they started to build the likes of the meadows, arabian ranches etc, which has put how many houses on the market not even mentioning the "big pond" called the marina, even before that how many units are there in the old parts of jumeriah and um seq etc there has always been loads of houses compared to abu dhabi. dxb has many more compounds compared to ad where by they go for one house one plot etc, yes they do have them in some areas of dubai but in abu dhabi i could count the compounds on 2 hands, not so in dxb.
you have how many fingers on your hands? that's what i want to know.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

BC

any news on the new country club not seen Andy S for a while and they seem to have gone quite with all that money they got. Also the Hayya club is shite and I want the Country Club back. I now sound like my DAD and I think the good old days were the best.

Lets bring back the Bunker and Panco Villas without the Hookers, CB villas and JA village.

Mike