British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Oman visit - getting visas in advance? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/oman-visit-getting-visas-advance-876691/)

archie159 Apr 29th 2016 12:29 pm

Oman visit - getting visas in advance?

Hi all,
we go to Oman quite often, and always get the visas at the border. On quite a few occasions, when it is busy, the queues have been hideous. I know one can get visas in advance from the Omani embassy - but does anyone know if these then enable one to skip the queues? Or do they still make you queue up with all the people needing visas (as I was once told is what happens)?
thanks.

Brains1983 Apr 30th 2016 3:29 pm

Re: Oman visit - getting visas in advance?

No idea mate. I'd imagine the 2 trips to the Oman embassy would be the same or more amount of time than at the border, but I guess if you have a PRO from work that can do the running without you attending, then it may save some time.

My money would be on you still having to queue though.

archie159 Apr 30th 2016 3:31 pm

The embassy is close to us, and twice we've had queues of over 3 hours at the border, so worth trying if someone can confirm that one doesn't nevertheless still have to get out and join the hordes of visas-on-arrival people... But would definitely prefer to hear from someone who has tried this!

jam25mack May 1st 2016 4:50 am

You're better just picking a quieter border post or going at a time likely to not be as busy. Last few times I have been through it was a 15 min stop.

archie159 May 1st 2016 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 11936523)
You're better just picking a quieter border post or going at a time likely to not be as busy. Last few times I have been through it was a 15 min stop.

I don't have that choice, hence my question. I've had many long queues...

Still, I guess no-one has tried this from the lack of comments so far!

hnd May 1st 2016 3:08 pm

I can't say with any certainty but I would guess that you wouldn't have to queue if you already have your visas in your passports. If I were you I would just head straight ahead (don't turn into the car park in front of the main building) and look for the green lights indicating 'open' immigration windows. Present your passports, open at the visa page (or stick a piece of paper on that page - which will be blithely ignored) and see what happens. All they can do is send you back into the car park to join everyone else.

Good luck and enjoy!

Beakersful May 2nd 2016 4:11 pm

Going to be interesting to see how slow the lanes get when GCC nationals forget to get visas online before heading to the border.

Brains1983 May 3rd 2016 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 11937583)
Going to be interesting to see how slow the lanes get when GCC nationals forget to get visas online before heading to the border.

Do GCC Nationals even need visas for GCC travel?

Beakersful May 3rd 2016 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 11938053)
Do GCC Nationals even need visas for GCC travel?

UAE e-visa mandatory for expats in Oman: Report - Khaleej Times

Brains1983 May 3rd 2016 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 11938109)

1.5 million expatriate residents of Oman... Not 1.5million Oman Nationals.

Beakersful May 3rd 2016 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 11938111)
1.5 million expatriate residents of Oman... Not 1.5million Oman Nationals.

Yeah, this one is different. The first article I remember reading, that I can't find anymore, stated nationals. I think it was removed due to errors.

Sue_M May 21st 2016 11:54 am

Originally Posted by archie159 (Post 11936240)
The embassy is close to us, and twice we've had queues of over 3 hours at the border, so worth trying if someone can confirm that one doesn't nevertheless still have to get out and join the hordes of visas-on-arrival people... But would definitely prefer to hear from someone who has tried this!

We used to get one year multiple entry visas for Oman a couple of years ago. We just filled in the paperwork, dropped our passports at the Oman embassy and picked them up a few hours later.

Then at the border crossings we would stay in the car and drive up to the windows, couple of stamps, job done. No need to park and go into the building, it saved so much time.

archie159 May 21st 2016 1:12 pm

Sue_M, thank you very much for that. You're the first person to actually confirm that it does enable one to avoid the inside queues. We've had such long queues (inside the building) on our past few crossings that it has really put us off going again.