Reload this Page >

Oman travel route/or the "Best of Oman"

Old Dec 24th 2008, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

sandia911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oman travel route/or the "Best of Oman"

I am planning a travel route, (which places to include, exclude) in Oman for a 3-4 week trip in Jan/Feb. I am looking for the "The Best of Oman"

CRITERIA for LIST:
1) memorable/dramatic scenery, landscape photography, or specifically where to find the best (viewpoints, vistas, city views, natural views, panoramas, skylines, sunsets, etc..)? Also looking for the unique outdoors, hikes/hilltops/lookouts, and other amazing, breathtaking views?
2) lovely/charming streets, cute villages, hidden nooks/places, and magnificent/attractive architecture?
3) authentic/unforgettable "local" travel experiences or non-typical, interesting/special experiences (full of original character), and unique only to the local area.
4) specialty/unique regional cuisine/gastronomy

Thanks for your additions

------------------------------------------------------------

-Muscat, Trekkingoman dot com has some great hiking ideas, Old Muscat town, what's there really?, take drives to other parts of Muscat for viewpoints over the mountains, Shatti al qurm walk on the beach, Al Bustan viewpoint at hotel, Muttrah souk, Al Ghubrah mosque, Sultan Qaboos mosque, Hikman dunes, but where are they? Wadi Al Kabir viewpoint, Muscat festival website is still down, what can I expect in 2009?

-Just outside Muscat, Nakhal, Rustaq towns
-Nizwah, fort, Bahla, early morning friday goat market, Bat, Al-Khutm and Al-Ayn sites, Ibri town, Hajar-Al Gharbi mountain range, Al-hamara town, Misfat town, El Ibriyyeen? What is it?, Jebel Akhdar mountain, Jebel Shaam mountain,

then south to Ibra, Wadi Bani Khalid, Sharqia/Wahabia sands, how do I try sandboarding? I would also like to rent a car, but I have limited funds. I have friends in Oman who can do the driving/guiding for free, but I need to rent the car/insurance? What kind of deal can I get for 2-3 days?

-Sur (south of Muscat on the coast), Majlis Al Jinn/Kehf Salma cave, Qalhat town, Tiwi town, Hajar-Al Sharqi mountain range, Sharqia sands

What is Sawadi, near Suhar?

-Near Yemeni border, Salahah, Frankinsense trial, Al-balid, Shisr, Khor Rori,

Omani Food: Mashuai, Maqbous, Rukhal w/honey, Laban, Yogurt pistachio drink, Halwa, Lokhemat

Which prepay provider is better? Nawras, or Omanmobile? I only need an Omani number (to contact my Omani friends in Oman by SMS), no roaming or International calls, just cheap SMS is sufficient. After 4 weeks in Oman, I am going to UAE for 3 weeks, it would be good to know which provider has bettern international SMS rates in case I have Omani credit leftover after my trip in Oman is done.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Worldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of lightWorldismine is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Oman travel route/or the "Best of Oman"

For an adventurous trek that requires jumping into pools and sliding down natural flouts try Wandi Bani Awf aka snake gorge.

Wadi Bani Khalid around 100km from Sur is nice for a picnic and swim.

Wadi Shab is also very nice, a little inward trek will take you the natural pools where you can swim into a cave that has a its own mini water-fall. Near Wadi Shab is white beach and bini sink hole, all can be seen and enjoyed during one day.

Try Jebel Shams, highest mountain in Oman, towards the north west of Muscat.

A night in the Wahiba sands desert with either 1001 desert nights or al raha tourist camp, i think al raha has more modern amenities(quad bikes etc) so depends on whether you want an authentic desert experience or modern day desert thrill.

Salalah is lovely, although even more so during the summer monsoon. Surrounding places to visit. Mygshail to the south. Wild coastline, spectacular cliffs and the famous blow holes. Wadi Darbat, is unique in that even during the dry season, it looks very temperate. Other than the people, those are the two main attractions that make Salalah worth visiting, although you can also find some amazing beaches in Mirbat and south of Mysgshail where the sea is not as dangerous.

There was a coastal road being built from Muscat to sur don't know if its ready, but if it is it should a spectacular route
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:57 am
pkr
Just Joined

pkr is an unknown quantity at this point

Went to Hoota Caves, near Nizwa last week. Absolutely stunning. You need to book in advance as they limit visitor numbers, but this can be done online. Thought the fort at Nizwa was a little disapointing.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

bedarwen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Worldismine
There was a coastal road being built from Muscat to sur don't know if its ready, but if it is it should a spectacular route
It is! I drove along it a couple of months ago.
it's now only about 1hr 30 to get to Sur (or less) but now easy to miss the beaches and villages that lie on the old coast road.

the old coast road is not now maintained it seemed - and i couldn't get far along it before finding impassable places where the track had washed away down a gully or something!

Wadi Tiwi along this road is beautiful btw