Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Oman - shoul we or not

Oman - shoul we or not

Old Apr 25th 2007, 2:16 pm
  #16  
W10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Oman - shoul we or not

Oman is more conservative - you should cover up in public. That could mean wearing a long skirt and a shawl (to cover your shoulders) or a t-shirt, not a strapless one.

On the beach - no problem as far as I know.
 
Old Apr 25th 2007, 2:20 pm
  #17  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oman - shoul we or not

Originally Posted by W10 View Post
Oman is more conservative - you should cover up in public. That could mean wearing a long skirt and a shawl (to cover your shoulders) or a t-shirt, not a strapless one.

On the beach - no problem as far as I know.
the last time I was in Oman I went out in a pair of shorts and a tee shirt, no problem at all. Justin you wife really is worrying over nothing
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2007, 2:22 pm
  #18  
W10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Oman - shoul we or not

Did you get looks?
 
Old Apr 25th 2007, 2:25 pm
  #19  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oman - shoul we or not

Originally Posted by W10 View Post
Did you get looks?
none at all, we went down their for a function, all the women were in strappy gowns that evening, it was at a perfume factory. I honestly didn't feel uncomfortable at all and I know how to dress in a muslim country.
GA
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2007, 2:27 pm
  #20  
W10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Oman - shoul we or not

It's the shorts I thought people may have an issue with, as long as shoulders are covered the Omanis (fantastically friendly people) are fine.

If the shorts were knee length then it would probably be ok.
 
Old Apr 25th 2007, 2:28 pm
  #21  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oman - shoul we or not

Originally Posted by W10 View Post
It's the shorts I thought people may have an issue with, as long as shoulders are covered the Omanis (fantastically friendly people) are fine.

If the shorts were knee length then it would probably be ok.
Justin it is a great place, go for it! if we were offered something down there we would be gone!!!
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2007, 2:29 pm
  #22  
W10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Oman - shoul we or not

Oh no, absolutely. Oman is stunning. The best place in the Gulf by a country mile, no make that by an intergalactic light year.
 
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:39 pm
  #23  
Up in the air
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: I'm global baby!!!!!!
Posts: 7,263
Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oman - shoul we or not

Agreed, I would sell my spleen if i could get a decent job down there!
Jammy_Dodgers is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:42 pm
  #24  
BE Forum Addict
 
Lexylou's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,109
Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oman - shoul we or not

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers View Post
Agreed, I would sell my spleen if i could get a decent job down there!
we could go there to work tomorrow as they are crying out for 737NG drivers but the conditions with their national airline are not great..... shame.
Lexylou is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:10 pm
  #25  
W10
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Oman - shoul we or not

I've landed a flight simulator before. Do you need more experience than that?
 
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:30 pm
  #26  
BE Forum Addict
 
Lexylou's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,109
Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oman - shoul we or not

Originally Posted by W10 View Post
I've landed a flight simulator before. Do you need more experience than that?
hmm.... well Emirates require 8000 hours flying to become a direct entry captain, I think that Oman Airways require about 6000 hours (hubby has 7000 at the moment) so if you have landed 6000 sims then you might be ok....!!!!
Lexylou is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:30 pm
  #27  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: UAE
Posts: 3
Abu William is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oman - shoul we or not

Originally Posted by Lexylou View Post
hmm.... well Emirates require 8000 hours flying to become a direct entry captain, I think that Oman Airways require about 6000 hours (hubby has 7000 at the moment) so if you have landed 6000 sims then you might be ok....!!!!
Sorry, just joined this site today and caught this thread. What's the state of play with the move to Oman? Are you going/have gone yet? We're living in UAE at the moment, but have spent a number of years in the region (Saudi and Dubai). Like you we're seriously considering a move to Oman. Having read the threads, you really should take note of the fact that Oman is one of the best spots for someone with a young family. We've friends there and I've been on business a number of times. At the moment we're checking out accommodation options and schools. Happy to communicate offline with you if we can be of help mate.
Abu William is offline  
Old Feb 17th 2008, 4:35 am
  #28  
Marching on Together
Thread Starter
 
justin riseborough's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Muscat, Oman - somewhere really hot
Posts: 125
justin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nice
Default Re: Oman - shoul we or not

Originally Posted by Abu William View Post
Sorry, just joined this site today and caught this thread. What's the state of play with the move to Oman? Are you going/have gone yet? We're living in UAE at the moment, but have spent a number of years in the region (Saudi and Dubai). Like you we're seriously considering a move to Oman. Having read the threads, you really should take note of the fact that Oman is one of the best spots for someone with a young family. We've friends there and I've been on business a number of times. At the moment we're checking out accommodation options and schools. Happy to communicate offline with you if we can be of help mate.
I have been here 8 months now, and loving every minute of it. Thank you for your kind offer though.

If you need advice on where to live and/or schools drop me a line and I would be more than willing to oofer any advice that I can.
justin riseborough is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:49 am
  #29  
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,028
ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oman - some tips please?

My boss has just told me he is looking to get me out here full time, with the wife and kids, but instead of Dubai, where I have been commuting in and out of for about 9 months, he wants to move us to Muscat.

I used to regularly visit Muscat up until 2002, when my folks left to return to the UK.

On previous visits, I had never thought of getting out there and, therefore, never really looked into rental property, vehicle prices, insurance etc. Can anyone give me a guide to the best areas to live, prices etc? The office is in MSQ area.

Thanks
ScotsExpat is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:51 am
  #30  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Inselaffen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 13,547
Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oman - some tips please?

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat View Post
My boss has just told me he is looking to get me out here full time, with the wife and kids, but instead of Dubai, where I have been commuting in and out of for about 9 months, he wants to move us to Muscat.

I used to regularly visit Muscat up until 2002, when my folks left to return to the UK.

On previous visits, I had never thought of getting out there and, therefore, never really looked into rental property, vehicle prices, insurance etc. Can anyone give me a guide to the best areas to live, prices etc? The office is in MSQ area.

Thanks
1 Quiz night with the M's (MM,MH,MD) and you are leaving the country.
sounds about right!
Inselaffen is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.