Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Oman - shoul we or not

Oman - shoul we or not

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:38 pm
Marching on Together

justin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nice
Default Oman - shoul we or not

Have post a couple of questions on here about moving to the ME (mainly Dubai or Abu Dhabi)with the wife and two young children, but my prospective new employer has offered me a position in Muscat.

Could you please all offer advice on the following;

Credit is it available even with a poor rating back home for Bank Account and credit purchases like a car?
What is the cost of living compared to UAE?
What is the schooling like?
What is it like for food shopping as my wife is Gluten and Wheat free?
Are there large expat communities that we can move into?
Are there any good websites for leasing property?
What about healthcare?
Is it a good place for a young family?
What about mobiles and internet, are they easily accessible?

Please feel free to send me a personal message

Many thanks

Last edited by justin riseborough; Apr 23rd 2007 at 3:42 pm. Reason: More info
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oman - shoul we or not

Originally Posted by justin riseborough
Have post a couple of questions on here about moving to the ME (mainly Dubai or Abu Dhabi)with the wife and two young children, but my prospective new employer has offered me a position in Muscat.

Could you please all offer advice on the following;

Credit is it available even with a poor rating back home for Bank Account and credit purchases like a car?
What is the cost of living compared to UAE?
What is the schooling like?
What is it like for food shopping as my wife is Gluten and Wheat free?
Are there large expat communities that we can move into?
Are there any good websites for leasing property?
What about healthcare?
Is it a good place for a young family?
What about mobiles and internet, are they easily accessible?

Please feel free to send me a personal message

Many thanks

Oman is far cheaper than the UAE. There are a few British schools there but I am not sure about available spaces, best bet would be for you to call and ask. As far as I know, your credit rating in the UK does not affect the one you would have in Oman.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 3:30 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Credit is it available even with a poor rating back home for Bank Account and credit purchases like a car? They don't affect each other
What is the cost of living compared to UAE? 70% of the cost of Dubai at most I would hazard a guess at.
What is the schooling like? Top class
What is it like for food shopping as my wife is Gluten and Wheat free? A lot of western supermarkets and produce, a lot of Indian and Arabic food is naturally wheat and gluten free (wheat definitely).
Are there large expat communities that we can move into? Not large, but they exist. The expat community is well established whether it be sport, social or hobbies.
Are there any good websites for leasing property? Not that I know of though there are some large companies such as Colliers there.
What about healthcare? Second to none, both private and public.
Is it a good place for a young family? There are few places which are better regarding schooling, safety, social and experience.
What about mobiles and internet, are they easily accessible? Yes, less internet Big Brother than UAE but still there.

I am fairly biased as I lived there for 7 years and still have family and friends there. As a father of a 9 month old I would love to go back there. Other people see Oman as a bit of a backwater with little going on. If you're into clubbing and the nightlife this is true. if you like BBQ's with mates, some camping, watersports etc it is the place for you. Dubai is a few short hours by car and easily done for a weekend of debauchery!
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:23 am
W10

As was discussed on another thread - most of us would move there in a heartbeat.

Sadly - not much going on in my line of work.

Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:30 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Sadly - not much going on in my line of work.
On the contrary, there are many pimps doing very well for themselves there!
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:46 am
W10

I need to make the right contacts though...I hear the Omanis can be brutal if you muscle in on their turf

Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:51 am
Marching on Together

justin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nicejustin riseborough is just really nice

Another couple of stupid questions;

Noticed in UAE that wife would be able to get work in an Admin position relatively easy as I would be sponsoring her, is that the same in Oman?

I have two very fussy eating children and they have asked whether the common western food like baked beans, fish fingers are available at the supermarkets?

I have told them that it will only be temporary for them to eat like this, but we all know children, and I need to make sure that at least they can eat something there
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:53 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Another couple of stupid questions;

Noticed in UAE that wife would be able to get work in an Admin position relatively easy as I would be sponsoring her, is that the same in Oman?

I have two very fussy eating children and they have asked whether the common western food like baked beans, fish fingers are available at the supermarkets?

I have told them that it will only be temporary for them to eat like this, but we all know children, and I need to make sure that at least they can eat something there
you can get all the same foods in Oman as you can get here, massive supermarket called Carrefour. I would imagine it is the same laws as here for your wife. If I was offered to go to Oman we would be gone.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:11 am
Marching on Together

I think we will as well.

Was originally holding out for Abu Dhabi then Dubai, but as Muscat is much quieter and has more interesting things to do for a family (With Dubai down the road for heavy entertainment), looks like should be there by the end of May.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:25 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I think we will as well.

Was originally holding out for Abu Dhabi then Dubai, but as Muscat is much quieter and has more interesting things to do for a family (With Dubai down the road for heavy entertainment), looks like should be there by the end of May.
congratulations!!! at least all us dubaites will have somewhere to stay when come down for some peace! we could house swap!

Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:07 am
Remember

I think we will as well.

Congrats- just in time to melt! Head down to the rugby club or the Crowne Plaza in Qurm on quiz night- my brother in law is the quizmaster and general twat!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 12:55 pm
Marching on Together

My wife has been doing a lot of looking and is really up for the move, but then tragedy, reads a website, and has reservations. Could anybody help with the following questions.

How poor is the water?

What about the milk?

I think the most important, what is it like for women. Have read have to always wear clothes that cover up. Would a vest and skirt or shorts not be acceptable out in public. If not is the garden ok, and very importantly the BEACH?
Old Apr 25th 2007, 12:59 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

My wife has been doing a lot of looking and is really up for the move, but then tragedy, reads a website, and has reservations. Could anybody help with the following questions.

How poor is the water? - is perfect, but don't use for drinking - okay for tea etc

What about the milk? again perfect, just like back home - don't drink milk but never heard anything bad about it

I think the most important, what is it like for women. Have read have to always wear clothes that cover up. Would a vest and skirt or shorts not be acceptable out in public. If not is the garden ok, and very importantly the BEACH?

see above

No probs with covering up really - just have to be respectful (although plenty aren't!).

Short skirts not really appropriate although plenty wear them. Okay in compounds though, say going to the pool.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 1:12 pm
Marching on Together

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
see above

No probs with covering up really - just have to be respectful (although plenty aren't!).

Short skirts not really appropriate although plenty wear them. Okay in compounds though, say going to the pool.
Thank you for answering these questions, am sure will have plenty more so hopefully you will be able to help.

Will let the wife know these, and keep telling her to join this forum, so look out
Old Apr 25th 2007, 1:14 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for answering these questions, am sure will have plenty more so hopefully you will be able to help.

Will let the wife know these, and keep telling her to join this forum, so look out
you're welcome

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.