British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Oman salary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/oman-salary-919104/)

Mr Corcsrew Nov 8th 2018 9:02 am

Oman salary

hi everyone

Just need your advice. The background;

I am working in consulting (not in the UK, but in the EU). i have received an offer from Oman: 2000 OMR per month + standard relocation package (healthcare insurance for family, living in hotel, air tickets, 1200 OMR Relocation bonus etc). Also I was promised a quick promotion, but it is just a promise (maybe happens, maybe doesn't).

The salary and the grade are higher than I currently have.

However, my concerns are:

1) is it a good offer? Is it possible to find a good flat in a comfortable area, to eat and drink properly, save something i.e. live comfortable as if you are in the EU (with an adjustment that it is a Muslim country) and save some money. provided that I have a family (my wife and a newborn child).

2) is is it practically possible to find a job for my wife (she also work in consulting but now she is on maternity leave)?

3) And how big is differences in prices and salaries between Oman and the UAE?

Thank you

nottmbantam Nov 8th 2018 9:46 am

Re: Oman salary

Originally Posted by Mr Corcsrew (Post 12590129)
hi everyone

Just need your advice. The background;

I am working in consulting (not in the UK, but in the EU). i have received an offer from Oman: 2000 OMR per month + standard relocation package (healthcare insurance for family, relocation bonus, air tickets, 1200 OMR Relocation etc). Also I was promised a quick promotion, but it is just a promise (maybe happens, maybe will not ).

The salary and the grade are higher than I currently have.

However, my concerns are:

1) is it a good offer? Is possible to find a good flat in a comfortable area, to eat and drink properly, save something i.e. live comfortable as if you are in the EU (with an adjustment that it is a Muslim country) and save some money. provided that I have a family (my wife and a newborn child).

2) is is it practically possible to find a job for my wife (she also work in consulting but now she is on maternity leave)?

3) And how big is differences in prices and salaries between Oman and the UAE?

Thank you

Never worked in Oman, have visited Muscat a couple of times, Oman is my favourite place in the Gulf region, quite laid back and quite chilled out. Far more relaxed than Saudi and UAE. From what I have seen re job offers, Oman salaries will be lower than UAE or Saudi, so if it's just money you're after , then I would suggest you're better off looking elsewhere. Lifestyle however, Oman I think a different than the others, some beautiful landscapes around, some nice beaches and Salallah is also meant to be beautiful. It's not all glitz and glamour like Dubai, it's a totally different experience. If I could have my current salary and work in Oman, I'd move tomorrow.

Mr Corcsrew Nov 8th 2018 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 12590148)
If I could have my current salary and work in Oman, I'd move tomorrow.

Well, the problem is that you could not have your current salary in Oman, right? :-)

That is the global problem of our universe: how to be paid as if you were in "London" but to live in "Thailand"

hnd Nov 8th 2018 1:43 pm

You say ‘living in hotel ‘. Do you actually mean that you, your wife and baby would be living permanently in an hotel at your prospective employers expense or is the employer going to pay rent? If so, how much is the housing allowance? And, assuming that you might stay a while, is there any funding for education which isn’t cheap? How would you plan to travel to and from work - buy or lease a car? How would your wife get around town to shop etc? Where would the job be and, if you’re not going to be living in an hotel full time, where would you prefer to live? Would you be planning on not only saving but doing something about a pension? You would also have to check exactly what is and what is not covered by health insurance: for example, an appointment with a family doctor will cost around OMR20, and not all companies offer dental insurance in the health package.

Going out to eat and drink is expensive - you’re looking at around €20 for a pint/½ litre of beer and a glass of wine.

Personally, I don’t think OMR2,000 is enough to be able to live comfortably (with a young family which may expand), be able to put sufficient funds aside to allow for a speedy exit if required, and be able to save anything approaching a reasonable amount.

Mr Corcsrew Nov 8th 2018 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 12590275)
You say ‘living in hotel ‘. Do you actually mean that you, your wife and baby would be living permanently in an hotel at your prospective employers expense or is the employer going to pay rent? If so, how much is the housing allowance? And, assuming that you might stay a while, is there any funding for education which isn’t cheap? How would you plan to travel to and from work - buy or lease a car? How would your wife get around town to shop etc? Where would the job be and, if you’re not going to be living in an hotel full time, where would you prefer to live? Would you be planning on not only saving but doing something about a pension? You would also have to check exactly what is and what is not covered by health insurance: for example, an appointment with a family doctor will cost around OMR20, and not all companies offer dental insurance in the health package.

Going out to eat and drink is expensive - you’re looking at around €20 for a pint/½ litre of beer and a glass of wine.

Personally, I don’t think OMR2,000 is enough to be able to live comfortably (with a young family which may expand), be able to put sufficient funds aside to allow for a speedy exit if required, and be able to save anything approaching a reasonable amount.

Hi hnd, thanks for the comments and your opinion.

"Living in a hotel" means a standard benefit of a relocation package - you live in a hotel first two weeks/months/ etc then move to an apartment

As for the salary and allowances - it is already included. So the total remuneration is OMR 2k. There is annual bonus (2-3 salaries) but as bonus, it is paid discretionary

reddiva Nov 11th 2018 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Mr Corcsrew (Post 12590317)

Hi hnd, thanks for the comments and your opinion.

"Living in a hotel" means a standard benefit of a relocation package - you live in a hotel first two weeks/months/ etc then move to an apartment

As for the salary and allowances - it is already included. So the total remuneration is OMR 2k. There is annual bonus (2-3 salaries) but as bonus, it is paid discretionary

2000 is not enough for the 3 of you. Now if you had accomodation on top it would be better

eastrunner Nov 13th 2018 5:43 am

We live in Muscat the typical cost of living in OMR (Family of 2 adults and a toddler)
Apartment 2 bed 300 starting - 500 higher end its a renters market currently so lots of deals around. We have 2 dogs so we need something with a garden the houses here called Villas start from 550 (2 bed) - 1500 6 bed +
Car Rental 150 - 250 (its cheaper if you buy something via a car loan after a few months)
Groceries 300
Utilities 20 (Water and Electricity)
Broadband 28
Preschool fees 400 to 500 per term (4 months per term)
Please note, The British school Muscat is starting at about 3000 per year starting at the age of 5 grade 1

You probably wont get to save a great deal in that case you will need to negotiate and get more money, but Muscat is a great city for families. Its cheaper than Dubai and lots of outdoor things you can do. Like camping, going to the mountains and lots of beaches around. You will have lots of time for your kid. There's not much traffic so getting to anywhere in the city is a 15-20 minute drive. Omanis are probably the only working Arabs and genuinely nice people, they drive taxis, work in hotels and supermarket checkouts etc

ER

eastrunner Nov 13th 2018 5:55 am

Finding work for a spouse is very challenging quite slim unless she's a medical professional or a teacher etc....

Mr Corcsrew Nov 13th 2018 8:07 am

Eastrunner, thank you for your comments.

Actually, I got several opinions and, more or less, they are consistent: Oman is a nice country, differs from the UAE, salaries are lower, but OMR 2000 is not enough.

ompan Jan 17th 2019 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Corcsrew (Post 12592605)
Eastrunner, thank you for your comments.

Actually, I got several opinions and, more or less, they are consistent: Oman is a nice country, differs from the UAE, salaries are lower, but OMR 2000 is not enough.

hello, wondering if you did end up moving, and if yes how has it been so far? I'm in a similar situation thinking of moving with young family from the UK.