Oman / Muscat

Old Sep 18th 2017, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Nearly an expat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oman / Muscat

Hi all,
Would appreciate any comments on cost of living / monthly salary for a reasonable existence in Oman - specifically Muscat.

Accomm - I have done some research and suspect an average c. 1300OMR for a 3 bed villa (read house) in a reasonably central location (The Wave / MSQ).

Education - again, I figure c.5,000 OMR per year, c.400 OMR / month

I would appreciate any comments on monthly grocery shop (family of 3, me, her and child of 5), and the costs to lease (e.g. for a year or so)a reasonable car / 4*4.

I am currently in negotiation with my potential employer, and suspect we will land at an all inc. figure of c.4500 / OMR PER MONTH.

The employer is one of the Big 4 accounting firms. I'm currently in the UK, on a gross salary of about £85k, and that keeps things ticking over nicely.

many thanks in advance
Old Sep 18th 2017, 6:46 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oman / Muscat

Health insurance? Flights home?
Old Sep 18th 2017, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nearly an expat
Hi all,
Would appreciate any comments on cost of living / monthly salary for a reasonable existence in Oman - specifically Muscat.

Accomm - I have done some research and suspect an average c. 1300OMR for a 3 bed villa (read house) in a reasonably central location (The Wave / MSQ).

Education - again, I figure c.5,000 OMR per year, c.400 OMR / month

I would appreciate any comments on monthly grocery shop (family of 3, me, her and child of 5), and the costs to lease (e.g. for a year or so)a reasonable car / 4*4.

I am currently in negotiation with my potential employer, and suspect we will land at an all inc. figure of c.4500 / OMR PER MONTH.

The employer is one of the Big 4 accounting firms. I'm currently in the UK, on a gross salary of about £85k, and that keeps things ticking over nicely.

many thanks in advance
Be warned, the Big 4 here are nothing like they are in the UK - especially audit. TAS or whatever it's called thesedays is a bit better.

Your boss could well be an indian version of Alf Garnett
Old Sep 18th 2017, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks both

Medical and flights - will be included - sorry should havebeen more specific- as are the usual relocation assistance / shipping and settling in.

The package is a bit lower than say uae - but supposedly cost ofliving is cheaper. I was on the ground a week or so ago and didnt think it was significantly cheaper.

Millhouse - thanks for the advice.
Admittedly the boss is a western expat - and i too will be taking a senior role
Old Sep 19th 2017, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Be warned, the Big 4 here are nothing like they are in the UK - especially audit. TAS or whatever it's called thesedays is a bit better.

Your boss could well be an indian version of Alf Garnett
Gotta agree....being in finance myself (FC) our auditors are KPMG and every year we get new field auditors (the audit manager also changes every 2-3 years) and their working hours, quality of life and salary are abysmal, to say the least. I would be loathed to work for any of the top 4 in this region.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
Gotta agree....being in finance myself (FC) our auditors are KPMG and every year we get new field auditors (the audit manager also changes every 2-3 years) and their working hours, quality of life and salary are abysmal, to say the least. I would be loathed to work for any of the top 4 in this region.
As Nearly an Expat will know, if you're not a part of the solution, there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

As Nearly an Expat will know, if you're not a part of the solution, there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem.
If he is going in at a senior/board level he'll be able to pass the cr*p to those lower than him.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Indeed! Thanks for the insight. Surely it can't be that bad (famous last words). Admittedly I am coming in to assist with the rollout of VAT (boo hiss) !
Ps did either of you have a steer on vehicle leasing costs?
Old Sep 19th 2017, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Some time ago your masters in the Middle East realised that they can get cheaper labour in Manila, Islamabad and Bangalore. Your days in the region are numbered !
Old Sep 20th 2017, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Some time ago your masters in the Middle East realised that they can get cheaper labour in Manila, Islamabad and Bangalore. Your days in the region are numbered !
Yes but some of them realise the value in being able to roll out whitey on demand to meet Clients etc!!!

(and please don`t troll me over the use of the word "whitey", you all know what I mean....no snowflakes were harmed during the typing of this post!!)
Old Sep 20th 2017, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

eastrunner is an unknown quantity at this point

Groceries cost about 300/ month for 4people (3 adults + toddler (including maid)
To rent a car a smallish (Rav 4) to a mid size 4x4 it'll cost you in the range about 250 - 350 OMR (it'll be better to buy something new via a bank loan especially if your here for a few years 3+) auto loans are around 4.5%
As for accommodation you may get better value for money around Azaiba around 1000 -1200 OMR will get you a decent villa

ER
Old Sep 20th 2017, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nearly an expat
Indeed! Thanks for the insight. Surely it can't be that bad (famous last words). Admittedly I am coming in to assist with the rollout of VAT (boo hiss) !
Ps did either of you have a steer on vehicle leasing costs?
oh jeeze if you are being recruited to assist in the implementation of VAT, you will certainly have your work cut out for you Be prepared for loads of ball ache!
As to vehicle leasing over here in Dubai it can cost anything from AED 2000 up wards per month, depending on what type of car you want to rent.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 9:39 am
Just Joined

EastRunner - many thanks for the cost of living analysis.

Scot147 and Dubaiexile - thanks forsharing your perspectives. The country looks like it can offer a personal and professional challenge - which is part of my motivation to move.

Cheers
Old Sep 20th 2017, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mission
oh jeeze if you are being recruited to assist in the implementation of VAT, you will certainly have your work cut out for you Be prepared for loads of ball ache!
As to vehicle leasing over here in Dubai it can cost anything from AED 2000 up wards per month, depending on what type of car you want to rent.
2100dh as of 1st Jan next year, sister.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

2100dh as of 1st Jan next year, sister.
huh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.