Reload this Page >

Oman - Information Required

Oman - Information Required

Old Feb 24th 2008, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

buttsark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oman - Information Required

Hi All

My husband currently lives and works in Dubai, I am still in the UK as I didn't want to move there. He has been offered a job in Oman with a very good relocation package to get me over there. I'm not against moving there, but I would want to take some of our animals with me, and would not want to live in a high rise appartment, I would also like to get some sort of employment out there, I am a certified Service Manager with many years experience in BT.

I came across this forum, so am hoping someone could answer the following.

1. Where are the best places to live, my preference would be a large Villa. I think he is going to be based in Muscat. Being in mind I live on a farm at the moment.
2. I would like to take my dog with me, can this be done.
3. I also have a horse, does anyone know of or have any contacts of Livery Stables where I can investigate the possibilities.
4. Is there a friendly expat presence in Oman.
5. What is the standard of living like.
6. What are the prospects for foreign women finding employment.

Any tips or hints to help my research would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Feb 24th 2008, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oman - Information Required

Do a search and you should find plenty on here about Oman living. Several Dubai residents on this site say they would definitely move there if given the opportunity. Although the standard of living is excellent, you would have to make a few small sacrifices. Just think about the nice winter climate...
Old Feb 24th 2008, 12:20 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

hiya do a search on here about Muscat, great place though! much better than Dubai. I don't know anything about areas etc only having visited once. We do have a poster on here called Justin but he hasn't been around this week. The dog - no problem. The Horse - let me ask a friend who has horses here about stables in Oman and get back to you. There is a good expat presence in Oman. As for work? not sure really but I would imagine there won't be a problem. Get your dog's rabies vacs upto date now, and the horse for that matter.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 12:21 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Do a search and you should find plenty on here about Oman living. Several Dubai residents on this site say they would definitely move there if given the opportunity. Although the standard of living is excellent, you would have to make a few small sacrifices. Just think about the nice winter climate...
it was freezing the last time we were there! January !!! ouch cold!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 12:22 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I really like Muscat and the Omanis are generally much nicer than the Emiratis.

You can certainly take your dog out, and imagine you can move a horse too, although that's going to be very expensive.

There is no fundamental problem with you finding work - just depends on what is available and your skills/qualifications.

I suggest you take a trip there and have a look.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all so much, I didn't expect so many replies so quickly.

He has to give the company an answer in a couple of weeks as too whether he is going to take the job, and I know I will have to go over there to see the place for myself, but I want to be armed with as much info as possible.

This is a big decision for us, the aim would be to sell our farm here, by a new house to rent out whilst we are living there so we still have a foothold in the UK, and rent in Oman.

But being as I want to take my horse, my main concern is the quality of life for horses over there. I'll be getting some quotes for transport in the week, but the company has already agreed to foot the bill for the animals so cost of getting them all over there shouldn't be a problem.

Is anyone on this forum living in Oman at present.

Thanks again, this seems a very friendly place to be, I might start a blog about our experiences, if we decide to go.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 12:42 pm
Concierge

I have a friend who has racehorses here in Dubai, I have just e mailed her to ask about Oman Stables. The Stables here are absolutely fantastic! did a stable tour the other day - do a search on Red Stables Dubai or Doug Watson. They home the racehorses and are pretty pricey!!! The Arabian Ranches housing development again here in Dubai does livery so you could contact them about their prices. Oman will be way cheaper. The heat in the summer would be a nightmare for him though? Some stables are air conditioned but I would imagine very pricey.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buttsark
Hi All

My husband currently lives and works in Dubai, I am still in the UK as I didn't want to move there. He has been offered a job in Oman with a very good relocation package to get me over there. I'm not against moving there, but I would want to take some of our animals with me, and would not want to live in a high rise appartment, I would also like to get some sort of employment out there, I am a certified Service Manager with many years experience in BT.

I came across this forum, so am hoping someone could answer the following.

1. Where are the best places to live, my preference would be a large Villa. I think he is going to be based in Muscat. Being in mind I live on a farm at the moment.
2. I would like to take my dog with me, can this be done.
3. I also have a horse, does anyone know of or have any contacts of Livery Stables where I can investigate the possibilities.
4. Is there a friendly expat presence in Oman.
5. What is the standard of living like.
6. What are the prospects for foreign women finding employment.

Any tips or hints to help my research would be appreciated.

Thanks
Good thing you don't have pigs.....
Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

no pigs, sheep or cows thankfully

If possible I would want the horse in Oman, from what I understand Dubai is hours away.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:16 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by buttsark
no pigs, sheep or cows thankfully

If possible I would want the horse in Oman, from what I understand Dubai is hours away.
definately! but you could get information from the Dubai based stables, that was what I was thinking. Horses come into Dubai on a regular basis and I know that there is a quarantine period but not for how long. Horse Racing is pretty big out here
Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

definately! but you could get information from the Dubai based stables, that was what I was thinking. Horses come into Dubai on a regular basis and I know that there is a quarantine period but not for how long. Horse Racing is pretty big out here
Thanks Blue Cat, will have a look
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Good thing you don't have pigs.....
DOH, just got it about pigs:

Pigs, Pork, Muslim
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:58 am
Banned

Old Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to behold

The Sultan stables his horses in Salalah in South Oman and it is a Brit who looks after them. At least it was and he could be found in the Pan Am Club.

Around Muscat are some of the hottest habitations on earth and I've certainly not seen ant horses. Not even the police ones. A few donkeys yes. You can buy horse meat but this may not be your focus.

I'm not sure the facilities are available in Muscat - but certainly in Salalah which is a much more gentle climate.

I think you should come over and have a look first and take the flight to Salalah - half an hour and see the royal stables.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old Lob

I think you should come over and have a look first and take the flight to Salalah - half an hour and see the royal stables.
i agree, having been to both Salalah and Muscat on numerous occasions, I think you will find that the optimum location for Red Rum and co will be Salalah. Its a beautiful green place, a total country mile from the heat of Muscat

Please let us know thou...
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:53 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

There are many, many stables in and around Barka.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.