Oman - Information Required

Oman - Information Required

Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:52 am
Miles away from home

Awineor2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oman - Information Required

Originally Posted by buttsark
Hi All

My husband currently lives and works in Dubai, I am still in the UK as I didn't want to move there. He has been offered a job in Oman with a very good relocation package to get me over there. I'm not against moving there, but I would want to take some of our animals with me, and would not want to live in a high rise appartment, I would also like to get some sort of employment out there, I am a certified Service Manager with many years experience in BT.

I came across this forum, so am hoping someone could answer the following.

1. Where are the best places to live, my preference would be a large Villa. I think he is going to be based in Muscat. Being in mind I live on a farm at the moment.
2. I would like to take my dog with me, can this be done.
3. I also have a horse, does anyone know of or have any contacts of Livery Stables where I can investigate the possibilities.
4. Is there a friendly expat presence in Oman.
5. What is the standard of living like.
6. What are the prospects for foreign women finding employment.

Any tips or hints to help my research would be appreciated.

Thanks

My family has now been living in Muscat for 8 months due to my husbands job and we love it. There is a large expat community and most people speak English, even the local people (who are all very friendly) are desperately looking for people who they can practice their English on. It is a beautiful country and a fabulous life style. As someone mentioned, you may have to do without a few things as shopping is getting much better but still there are some things that you cannot get, but most people take time out to drive or fly to DXB occasionally for items they cannot get here or use the internet.

We originate from Somerset and have just moved here from Australia, so we love the open spaces and fresh air. In saying that, we do miss the green country side and are hoping to buy a place in France this year as a holiday home, many expats do have property in Europe or the UK and travel is getting much better with far more international airlines now flying into Oman. Tourist is also on the increase and with this also brings benefits of a more cosmopolitan community.
I do not ride, but some of my friends do, there is only one lot of stables in Muscat that I am aware of and they are the stables that are by the Kurum Park. I will find out more for you if you like. There are three vets in the area who may know more, so I will find out for you.

We brought our labrador retreive with us from UK then Oz to here, your local vet should know the procedure and vacination requirements and make sure that rabies is in that. I am not trying to scare you it is just that it is a necessity, but I have had no problems - with the dog - not with me

I am a school teacher and work as a supply teacher here, that is by my own personal choice, once you are here you can look into getting your own work visa should you wish to work full-time.

As for where to live! If you want to be close to the stables then it would have to be Kurum, Kurum Heights, Al Shatti or Madinet Al Qaboos. All are very built up but close to the amenities. Otherwise you could look a little further out towards Al Zaiba towards the airport.

I walk the dog on the beach on a Friday morning (our weekend Thursday-Friday) and the police train their hourses there then, perhaps they could give you some information, contact the ROP (Royal Omani Police) they are very helpful.

Food shopping - supermarkets now stock most European and UK food.

Any other info that I can help you with please let me know, perhaps I can email a private email with some contact details.

Good Luck
Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:01 am
Miles away from home

Awineor2 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by buttsark
Hi All

My husband currently lives and works in Dubai, I am still in the UK as I didn't want to move there. He has been offered a job in Oman with a very good relocation package to get me over there. I'm not against moving there, but I would want to take some of our animals with me, and would not want to live in a high rise appartment, I would also like to get some sort of employment out there, I am a certified Service Manager with many years experience in BT.

I came across this forum, so am hoping someone could answer the following.

1. Where are the best places to live, my preference would be a large Villa. I think he is going to be based in Muscat. Being in mind I live on a farm at the moment.
2. I would like to take my dog with me, can this be done.
3. I also have a horse, does anyone know of or have any contacts of Livery Stables where I can investigate the possibilities.
4. Is there a friendly expat presence in Oman.
5. What is the standard of living like.
6. What are the prospects for foreign women finding employment.

Any tips or hints to help my research would be appreciated.

Thanks

My family has now been living in Muscat for 8 months due to my husbands job and we love it. There is a large expat community and most people speak English, even the local people (who are all very friendly) are desperately looking for people who they can practice their English on. It is a beautiful country and a fabulous life style. As someone mentioned, you may have to do without a few things as shopping is getting much better but still there are some things that you cannot get, but most people take time out to drive or fly to DXB occasionally for items they cannot get here or use the internet.

We originate from Somerset and have just moved here from Australia, so we love the open spaces and fresh air. In saying that, we do miss the green country side and are hoping to buy a place in France this year as a holiday home, many expats do have property in Europe or the UK and travel is getting much better with far more international airlines now flying into Oman. Tourist is also on the increase and with this also brings benefits of a more cosmopolitan community.
I do not ride, but some of my friends do, there is only one lot of stables in Muscat that I am aware of and they are the stables that are by the Kurum Park. I will find out more for you if you like. There are three vets in the area who may know more, so I will find out for you.

We brought our labrador retreive with us from UK then Oz to here, your local vet should know the procedure and vacination requirements and make sure that rabies is in that. I am not trying to scare you it is just that it is a necessity, but I have had no problems - with the dog - not with me

I am a school teacher and work as a supply teacher here, that is by my own personal choice, once you are here you can look into getting your own work visa should you wish to work full-time.

As for where to live! If you want to be close to the stables then it would have to be Kurum, Kurum Heights, Al Shatti or Madinet Al Qaboos. All are very built up but close to the amenities. Otherwise you could look a little further out towards Al Zaiba towards the airport.

I walk the dog on the beach on a Friday morning (our weekend Thursday-Friday) and the police train their hourses there then, perhaps they could give you some information, contact the ROP (Royal Omani Police) they are very helpful.

Food shopping - supermarkets now stock most European and UK food.

Any other info that I can help you with please let me know, perhaps I can email a private email with some contact details.

Good Luck
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

DubaiMama is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulation on the offer

I worked for 2 years in Muscat from 2003-2005 as a teleco consultant, which was one of the BEST part of my life. The zero-tax salary is great for the bank account; the people, expat & local, are friendly and fun to socialize with. As a "single" career woman, I have no problem living alone in a townhouse in MQ (Madina Al Qaboos); so you can imagine the society is a lot more open than most outsiders think. I had a small boat and went snorkeling almost every weekend.

Regarding horse, I often see people ride horse on the beach in Muscat at the sunset, while the locals boys play beach football...a very relaxing city.... So I am sure there must be a stable close by.

Regarding housing, I love MQ (Madina Al Qaboos) area; cozy and green. It is more affordable than the Al Shati area (Beach area). It really depends on your housing allowance.

I accepted the job only after I had visited Muscat. So make sure you visit Oman first to sort out your concerns. And if you decide to stay in Muscat, have fun and enjoy it.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Laura_Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point

I know I didn't start this thread, but thanks for all the info as I'm moving to Muscat THIS FRIDAY!!!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 12:23 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Do a search and you should find plenty on here about Oman living. Several Dubai residents on this site say they would definitely move there if given the opportunity. Although the standard of living is excellent, you would have to make a few small sacrifices. Just think about the nice winter climate...
gotta say - i just searched for "muscat" & "oman" or just muscat and could find nothing in the middle east forums!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Just Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really nice

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
gotta say - i just searched for "muscat" & "oman" or just muscat and could find nothing in the middle east forums!
Search isn't working that's why.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:32 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Just Browsing
Search isn't working that's why.
no sh*t Sherlock?!

that's why I get narked when people say "why dont you use the search?"......
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Just Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really niceJust Browsing is just really nice

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
no sh*t Sherlock?!

that's why I get narked when people say "why dont you use the search?"......
It's actually working again now.

Best regards
Holmes
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Prty-Hrs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there,,

well i was passing through the web sites and i saw this i'll be usefull

I live in Oman, and i know every thing about horse riding
actually i ride horses in "Royal Cavalry".. Its the best place ever

And yes you can bring your hose here, there is a place which you can keep your horse and someone will look after it and take care of it in a spaceil stable...

ummm what else....

well you can ask anything to me and i'll be here to answer you

i'll try to attach some pictures of the "Royal Cavalry"... dont know how but i'll try
Attached Thumbnails Oman - Information Required-dsc00661.jpg   Oman - Information Required-dsc00878.jpg   Oman - Information Required-dsc08624.jpg  
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 10:42 am
Just Joined

beerhunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
new to the site so hello everyone.

Oman, you are so lucky. I would dearly love to go back and work in what is my fav Middle Eastern state.

You will not be living in a high rise. taking pets including the horse will not be a problem. accom can be a little time consuming to find as there is not a massive expate market for it. There are properties though and they are generally of a good quality. You will love it, i am sure of it.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:59 pm
VFB
Just Joined

VFB is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know how to get to the Royal Stables at Seeb, as I am looking to ride. Or if you have any contacts? Am missing my horse from the UK rather a lot.
Many thanks