Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Oman Alcohol License

Oman Alcohol License

Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice
Default Oman Alcohol License

Our Omani PRO comes and says write your name here those who would like an alcohol permit....We need to pay 20 or 40 or 50 RO he says, but the ROP will decide how much we actually need to pay...Comments?

I never had such a licence in UAE, and in Qatar, my friend used to supply me with a few things that I needed...Is it worth having a license in Oman? I am not a great consumer of alcohol in any case...I enjoy a few Heinekens once in a while though...
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:36 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oman Alcohol License

You don't need a licence to drink in bars or restaurants. You do to buy at African+Eastern booze shop. The amount you can buy depends on your salary, and the fee depends on the size of the allowance. It's worthwhile getting one, as the A+E shops are easy to use. There's not much of a black market, except for Indians and their booze is normally fake.
Not all employers will offer a licence either, as the sponsor is responsible if you get shit faced and behave badly in public.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

They want to give ALL of us a license...
Old Aug 29th 2014, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Debowing
They want to give ALL of us a license...
Good on them,: most of us have to mess around trying to get our PRO to get off his backside. Aftef nearly 3 months I am still on a tourist visa: unable to get a drinks licence or an internet connection.

They can't force you to have a drinks licence: they probably have not considered that you might not want one !!!!
Old Aug 29th 2014, 9:25 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

T shirt
If they had an employment visa for you then you wouldn't be waiting three months for it.
You should hav got your employment visa on arrival. The fact you haven't indicates you don't have an employment visa in your name and you are working illegally, and driving and staying illegally.
Be careful about your employer.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes T shirt is not in a good condition. Please note that in our co. we had Manpower dept raids to check exactly that and they did catch 1-2 of us and had them flown back to their origin the next day. Tip offs are common so be very careful.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Debowing
Yes T shirt is not in a good condition. Please note that in our co. we had Manpower dept raids to check exactly that and they did catch 1-2 of us and had them flown back to their origin the next day. Tip offs are common so be very careful.
I have been doing this for 40 years and in that time I have spent most of my life living on a tourist visas. I have a colleague here in Muscat who has been living in Muscat with his family for 10 years on a tourist visa. Not ideal, but working in the consultancy business we do not have the resources to follow all the rules. Effort goes into sorting out employment visas for our Asian staff. Our PRO is Omani and he does what he wants when he wants. My resident visa is way down his list of priorities, but liquor licence is the top of my list. .
Old Aug 30th 2014, 10:14 am
womble

Ok. Your deportation stamp
Old Aug 30th 2014, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

As Tshirt says, this may work well for him, and there are ways around it...I wish him good luck always...Besides, we also have a few tourists on our team too...and we are trying to get them sorted soon...