British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   oman (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/oman-883530/)

davidhendry Sep 19th 2016 12:14 pm

oman

I visit the forum quite regularly and don't see many posters from Oman. Obviously there are, maybe I'm just unlucky.:(

I spent quite some time there, and it would be nice to shoot the shit with someone with up to date news. I suppose I could start now with some memories, but my wee finger is sore and the sun's position indicates it's time for other things;)

Davie.

mission Sep 20th 2016 8:19 am

Re: oman

what kind of bakwaas post is this :lol:

Debowing Sep 20th 2016 5:31 pm

Nothing much going on in Oman, other than it is a beautiful natural place, with not much traffic and lots of opportunities to do stuff that you like plus it's only 5.5 hours away from Bangkok.

psychopomp1 Sep 21st 2016 11:05 am

IMHO its easily the best place to live & work in the GCC having worked there in the late 1990s. Fantastic varied scenery, locals quite friendly/approachable & lot more humble than their neighbours, excellent driving standards (compared to rest of GCC) and overall, a very tranquil and laid-back place to live.
Have great memories of my time there...especially monsoon season visits to Salalah & hiking up the green lush hills nr the Yemen border :)

asjglx Sep 22nd 2016 5:58 am

Living in Muscat at the moment. Fire away...

davidhendry Sep 22nd 2016 6:12 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12056808)
what kind of bakwaas post is this :lol:

BAKWAAS,now there's a word. Arabic? Must be a funny. Not a word taught at Beaconsfield, fifty years ago. Perhaps a new word introduced by the new breed of expats in the area. The wheelers and dealers. Not many of them around fifty years ago. Of course, it could be an English word. Not being English is a hindrance at times.

Maybe a smart arse could explain why the thread has been moved, and more important, why !!

Davie.

davidhendry Sep 22nd 2016 6:51 am

Originally Posted by AndrewGrant (Post 12058556)
Living in Muscat at the moment. Fire away...

Good morning, Andrew.

Around 1963 I was the rep. for a Brit. construction company in Oman.Our fist contract was a bank about 50 yards inside the main gate, on the left. May have been Chartered bank or perhaps Eastern bank.
Driving from Muscat town to Muttrah (?), you have Riam bay on the right and the small power station on the left. Still there? Our second contract.
A house for the PDO manager was my final contract. Beautiful house built on top of a cliff within the PDO complex.

Fridays were spent on what was called Blackpool Beach.

Brilliant three years.

Went to the Congo for four shite years then returned to Oman as an engineer with MoD.

More can follow.

Davie.

nottmbantam Sep 22nd 2016 6:57 am

Originally Posted by davidhendry (Post 12058567)
BAKWAAS,now there's a word. Arabic? Must be a funny. Not a word taught at Beaconsfield, fifty years ago. Perhaps a new word introduced by the new breed of expats in the area. The wheelers and dealers. Not many of them around fifty years ago. Of course, it could be an English word. Not being English is a hindrance at times.

Maybe a smart arse could explain why the thread has been moved, and more important, why !!

Davie.

Urdu - although there a lot of common words between Arabic and Urdu. Won't translate it for now :-)

Had a long weekend break in Oman a few years ago, really liked the place, and have tried desperately to get a job there, but proved difficult. Given up on the idea now, and making plans to return to Blighty.

mission Sep 22nd 2016 11:57 am

Originally Posted by davidhendry (Post 12058567)

Davie.

bakwaas is Urdu for cr*p, shyte, rubbish etc....I wasn't trying to be mean....I was using it in the context of just having a laugh...my bad :o

davidhendry Sep 22nd 2016 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12058813)
bakwaas is Urdu for cr*p, shyte, rubbish etc....I wasn't trying to be mean....I was using it in the context of just having a laugh...my bad :o

All is forgiven...........my mistake.:amen:

Davie.

Debowing Sep 23rd 2016 1:10 pm

another bad urdu /hindi word is...pulbanga...

scot47 Sep 24th 2016 4:03 pm

I thought the word in Hindi for excrement was kak !

Leannmean Sep 26th 2016 1:10 pm

I am in Oman ,
It is quite nice here ,but it is getting more and more expensive especially housing

missunderstood May 5th 2017 12:55 pm

Can anyone shed light on average salaries for HR or Finance managers??