Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Old Video of Dubai back in 1999 and 2000

Old Video of Dubai back in 1999 and 2000

Old Apr 9th 2018, 7:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Old Video of Dubai back in 1999 and 2000

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Chi at The Lodge? Trilogy (I was always too old, went in once and got lost)?
Awful place, apart from the shawarma van outside afterwards. I liked some of the music in there but only went a handful of times.
Trilogy was equally bad, only went once though.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
And the first rule of Fight Club is......
Don't worry. I'm not telling where the current scene is
Old Apr 9th 2018, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reddiva
Zinc brings back memories. Also called the "Star Wars Bar"
I also remember a club that was close to the Millenium Aiport Hotel in Garhoud. it closed due to the metro being built. For the life of me i cannot remember the name of it though
There was a bar/club called Oxygen around that area (over the road from the Millennium), walked down a ramp to get to the entrance.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Old Video of Dubai back in 1999 and 2000

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB
There was a bar/club called Oxygen around that area (over the road from the Millennium), walked down a ramp to get to the entrance.
I think that was in the Al Bustan hotel at the bottom of the road i lived on
I don't think i ever went there
I vaguely remember Tangerine too which was in the Fairmont

Last edited by reddiva; Apr 9th 2018 at 12:31 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Zinc AKA Stink - haven't been in years.... thankfully.
Sensation - upstairs from Zinc and not as bad but again haven't been in years
DD - did brunch there a few months ago for old times sake. Was dead and awful.
Rocky B's (Bur Dub) - Again was in a few months ago and they've rearranged the inside and ruined it. The annoying old lebo man who's always in playing pool and arguing with everyone was still there tho. Spanked him and he got angry and was thrown out.
Waxys - standard after Yalumba brunch when it was the brunch to be at
Chi - used to go quite a bit as I knew the manager so getting on the GL when hammered was easy.
The Apartments (now Mahiki) - quality back in the day when Fat Ricky was KLF fame (RIP) was DJing.
Ibo - Only went a few times but as it was pretty much a UK student union club it was always fun and generally played decent UK tunes
Boston Bar - Haven't been in years
Aussie Legends - ditto
Trilogy - never got on with it although the roof bar was nice
Old Apr 10th 2018, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Ibo - Only went a few times but as it was pretty much a UK student union club it was always fun and generally played decent UK tunes
That's the one I meant next to the Millennium Hotel in Garhoud.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Zinc AKA Stink - haven't been in years.... thankfully.
Sensation - upstairs from Zinc and not as bad but again haven't been in years
DD - did brunch there a few months ago for old times sake. Was dead and awful.
Rocky B's (Bur Dub) - Again was in a few months ago and they've rearranged the inside and ruined it. The annoying old lebo man who's always in playing pool and arguing with everyone was still there tho. Spanked him and he got angry and was thrown out.
Waxys - standard after Yalumba brunch when it was the brunch to be at
Chi - used to go quite a bit as I knew the manager so getting on the GL when hammered was easy.
The Apartments (now Mahiki) - quality back in the day when Fat Ricky was KLF fame (RIP) was DJing.
Boston Bar - Haven't been in years
Aussie Legends - ditto
Trilogy - never got on with it although the roof bar was nice
Aussie legends at the old Rydges hotel in Satwa? Ah, yeah, remember the place. We used to go there along with Boston Bar nearby. Proper dives but fun times. Aussie had a pool table and Australian Sheilas bar staff. Back in those days there was a decent colony of young western expats living in Satwa/Jumeirah 1/ Bur Dubai so it was central for us.

I remember when Yalumba was the brunch and we always went to Waxy's afterwards. I even had a cheap brunch at Waxy's once. It was around 100 AED, five drinks tickets, the full English. But the place always had a sticky and grimy feel to it that you didn't notice when you came already drunk after Yalumba.

We also used to go to the Music Room to play pool and smoke and drink. They had a great Filipino band that did an amazing imitation of the Grateful Dead.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Where's the places people go to these days?

I know Lock Stock Barrel is hugely popular. Do people still go to Barasti or is it all lebbos and tourists?
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I remember when Yalumba was the brunch and we always went to Waxy's afterwards. I even had a cheap brunch at Waxy's once. It was around 100 AED, five drinks tickets, the full English. But the place always had a sticky and grimy feel to it that you didn't notice when you came already drunk after Yalumba.

We also used to go to the Music Room to play pool and smoke and drink. They had a great Filipino band that did an amazing imitation of the Grateful Dead.
Snap.

Shame Waxy's closed, it was walking distance to home. The band in the Music Room was called The Rock Spiders.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Taken from the Sheraton Jumeirah Beach in 2002.

Edit - pics not showing. I'll try again later (they're on flickr).

Last edited by MAV_DXB; Apr 10th 2018 at 7:39 am.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Aussie legends at the old Rydges hotel in Satwa? Ah, yeah, remember the place. We used to go there along with Boston Bar nearby. Proper dives but fun times. Aussie had a pool table and Australian Sheilas bar staff. Back in those days there was a decent colony of young western expats living in Satwa/Jumeirah 1/ Bur Dubai so it was central for us.

Aussie Legend's was great, make the bottle lid shot into the bucket above the bar and got the same drinks again free. I mastered it one night. Think the whole hotel has changed now, no idea if it exists.
Waxy's brunch I never did but it was permanently sticky and was always good fun.
Music Rooms - wow, not been there in years. Free pool in happy hour, cheap beer and great music. Had a scrap in there once too which was funny. Might have to go back soon, such good fun.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Where's the places people go to these days?

I know Lock Stock Barrel is hugely popular. Do people still go to Barasti or is it all lebbos and tourists?
Lockstock still busy but it tends to get full of young, arrogant twits ( Change the third letter to another letter) Mcgetts at JLT always busy. Haven't been to Barnasti at night for years. I went to Byblos in Tecom last Thursday for the first time in years, bands on back to back and was busy inside.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp
Aussie Legend's was great, make the bottle lid shot into the bucket above the bar and got the same drinks again free. I mastered it one night. Think the whole hotel has changed now, no idea if it exists.
Waxy's brunch I never did but it was permanently sticky and was always good fun.
Music Rooms - wow, not been there in years. Free pool in happy hour, cheap beer and great music. Had a scrap in there once too which was funny. Might have to go back soon, such good fun.
Do you remember the dentist chair in Jimmy Dix ( Movenpick in Oud Metha)
I don't think the music room is there anymore. Had a few good nights in there too. Waxys did the best hash browns and sausages but getting up and down those stairs was a HSE nightmare
Old Apr 10th 2018, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
Music Room closed. I think.

Where do you go, Scamp?

Long's Bar still around? I used to go there a lot when solo and wanted to drink a few beers in solitude. I have a thing for dives.

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Apr 10th 2018 at 8:08 am.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

You have to be drunk to go into waxys. I remember being sober and meeting friends there at 5pm. Walked into a pitch black, carnage of a bar! needless to say had to play drink catch up very quickly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.