Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Ok - while we are on the subject of war (holy or otherwise) - Iran

Ok - while we are on the subject of war (holy or otherwise) - Iran

Old Feb 6th 2006, 10:46 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ok - while we are on the subject of war (holy or otherwise) - Iran

Is anyone else getting a little concerned at the way all this is heading?

Iran getting more and more extreme in its posturing, sections of the US keep bring up the fact that miltary action is the last resort but therefore still an option. Referal to the UN for sanctions... Iran retaliation with increase on oil prices...

Just reading between the lines of the media it just looks ominous to me.

And yes - I am currently well within missle range of Iran...
Old Feb 6th 2006, 2:21 pm
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok - while we are on the subject of war (holy or otherwise) - Iran

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Is anyone else getting a little concerned at the way all this is heading?

Iran getting more and more extreme in its posturing, sections of the US keep bring up the fact that miltary action is the last resort but therefore still an option. Referal to the UN for sanctions... Iran retaliation with increase on oil prices...

Just reading between the lines of the media it just looks ominous to me.

And yes - I am currently well within missle range of Iran...
Yes it is worrying, esp with the steps/stance that has been taken in the last few days......Skeeery indeed!!
Old Feb 6th 2006, 3:32 pm
W10

The US doesn't have enough military capability to be engaged in three theatres at the same time. It is already stretched to breaking point as it is.

It will also have to act unilaterally (ie - without UN support and more than likely without the support of the UK as well) which would make an uphill struggle even more difficult.

Therefore it is left to posturing and threats. Iran knows it's hands are tied behind its back and that the oil reserves are a big ace card for them.

Besides (according to erm intelligence reports) Iran is almost 10 years away from being able to produce something so the US knows that threats and postures are the way forward for some time.

Old Feb 6th 2006, 8:31 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
The US doesn't have enough military capability to be engaged in three theatres at the same time. It is already stretched to breaking point as it is.

It will also have to act unilaterally (ie - without UN support and more than likely without the support of the UK as well) which would make an uphill struggle even more difficult.
First off - welcome back Mr W10 - where were you recently, Westbourne Grove? Anyways - great posts...

One of my points is, to some extent, there are similarities with what I now feel is a pre-amble, which is unfortunately what I suspect it to be, between Iraq and Iran. Different, sure, but....

Read between the spin and there is a pattern... I think...

Originally Posted by W10
Therefore it is left to posturing and threats. Iran knows it's hands are tied behind its back and that the oil reserves are a big ace card for them.
and you feel comfortable with this state of affairs? This is no concern at all? Scares the shits outta me :scared: simply because of this... young dynamic leader willing to prove his mettle against the old guard... hmmm....

Originally Posted by W10
Besides (according to erm intelligence reports) Iran is almost 10 years away from being able to produce something so the US knows that threats and postures are the way forward for some time.
Oh yeah? 10 years you say. They know this. W.M.D.? They knew that too.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 4:49 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt Israel would wait 10 years before having a go!
Old Feb 7th 2006, 6:59 am
W10

First off - welcome back Mr W10 - where were you recently, Westbourne Grove? Anyways - great posts...
The spies out in force again...I did enjoy the odd lunch and coffee while people watching in Notting Hill.

and you feel comfortable with this state of affairs? This is no concern at all? Scares the shits outta me :scared: simply because of this... young dynamic leader willing to prove his mettle against the old guard... hmmm....
Honestly...my opinion is that Ahmdinejad is posturing because he has lost credibility within Iran. He was elected as a reaction to the failure of the Khatemi reforms, kind of a kneejerk election. He hasn't improved anything in Iran and his disasterous attempts to get his old RG friends into power (oil ministry) have further undermined him - hence his sabre rattling over Israel. He is desperate to play to the crowds to stop him going under. I have to say though. I don't disagree with the principle they are taking. There is NO proof that Iran is seeking nuclear weapons. How about the West finds proof and then acts. Under the pre-referral system the IAEA could make snap inspections of their nuclear facilities. Now in a tit for tat war of words these have been banned.

Of course they don't know for sure. But they can make a more educated guess about nuclear technology though because Iran has been open to snap inspections in the past, and its difficult to buy component parts for nuclear weapons without someone noticing. And as I mentioned earlier. Is there any proof they are seeking nuclear weapons?

On a more personal note. It's a real shame, because when I learned to ski (in DXB of course) I was planning on taking a ski-ing trip to Iran.

Old Feb 7th 2006, 7:03 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I doubt Israel would wait 10 years before having a go!
Exactly. Just the outside possibility of a threat from Iran has caused things to flare up so much. America is ONLY acting in the interest of Israel. Its as simple as that.

God help us all if anything happens to Iran. Dubai, The U.A.E and the entire Gulf will be thrown into turmoil and their economies will nose dive! :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Feb 7th 2006, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Face81
Exactly. Just the outside possibility of a threat from Iran has caused things to flare up so much. America is ONLY acting in the interest of Israel. Its as simple as that.

God help us all if anything happens to Iran. Dubai, The U.A.E and the entire Gulf will be thrown into turmoil and their economies will nose dive! :scared: :scared: :scared:
Im already looking at the prospects of moving to Australia....