Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

OK So we did a runner......

OK So we did a runner......

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:05 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK So we did a runner......

Originally Posted by klaus3974
I totally agree with you on this. My bank was surprised when I asked them to reduce my credit card limit from 150K to 35K. How they could give you such a credit line when you are just off the boats? I bought a 2000 car that I paid cash but a guy in my office who must be in half my salary drives a brand new Mercedes SLK. It is so unreal.

Of course, this is not a particular judgement on the situation of the OP. In her situation, I would have chosen to run instead of jail.
it's all about appearances ....
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

mysteryme is an unknown quantity at this point

Our debt was 150 in total. Thats including the rent, car and cards.

We both work in Media and as I said in our mid 20s - packages including housing allowances etc are unheard of in this industry. ITP sold me the job so well that it seemed perfect. They told me that rent loans were standard and everyone had one so it seemed ok.

I never thought it would end like this!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:08 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mysteryme
Our debt was 150 in total. Thats including the rent, car and cards.

We both work in Media and as I said in our mid 20s - packages including housing allowances etc are unheard of in this industry. ITP sold me the job so well that it seemed perfect. They told me that rent loans were standard and everyone had one so it seemed ok.

I never thought it would end like this!
you were conned pet, but you aren't alone that's for sure!! Up until about 5 years ago I didn't know one person who paid their own rent.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:11 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
very wise words Klaus, I bet there are alot of people wishing they had thought things through a bit more before coming here. What gets me is if you walked into a bank in the UK and asked for a 15,000 quid loan, repayable over 12 months to pay your rent, you would get laughed at, yet people here seem to think that it is quite normal.
but back home you'd pay your rent monthly so you wouldn't need to (well, that's the case in Holland anyway)...
We wouldn't have come here if we'd had to pay for our acccommodation, but I am sure that for a lot of jobs the company doesn't pay for housing, so it leaves them no other option than to take out a loan...yeah, maybe they should have never come over in the first place, but loads of them did and I'd find it unfair to call all of them stupid...maybe just the ones that have come out say the last year or so when it was clear that the economy was taking a downturn...
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

it's all about appearances ....
Well... if I were his boss and see what he is driving I would think that I am paying him far too much!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:12 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally agree with you on this. My bank was surprised when I asked them to reduce my credit card limit from 150K to 35K. How they could give you such a credit line when you are just off the boats? I bought a 2000 car that I paid cash but a guy in my office who must be in half my salary drives a brand new Mercedes SLK. It is so unreal.

Of course, this is not a particular judgement on the situation of the OP. In her situation, I would have chosen to run instead of jail.
Yep, that's Dubai for you - everyone's a VIP apparently... And now the bottom of the car market has fallen out these plonkers are in serious trouble because their brand new cars are virtually worthless. Don't get me wrong, one day I'd love a Porsche 911, but only when I can afford it.

I also would have scarpered if I was in mysteryme's position!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:13 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by MataHari
but back home you'd pay your rent monthly so you wouldn't need to (well, that's the case in Holland anyway)...
We wouldn't have come here if we'd had to pay for our acccommodation, but I am sure that for a lot of jobs the company doesn't pay for housing, so it leaves them no other option than to take out a loan...yeah, maybe they should have never come over in the first place, but loads of them did and I'd find it unfair to call all of them stupid...maybe just the ones that have come out say the last year or so when it was clear that the economy was taking a downturn...
I agree in the UK you pay your rent monthly as well, it seems that is changing here now with alot of apartments being offered as 12 cheques, about time!!!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:15 am
Account Closed

I agree in the UK you pay your rent monthly as well, it seems that is changing here now with alot of apartments being offered as 12 cheques, about time!!!
Can't wait until my rent contract finishes in November, I can halve what I'm currently paying and hopefully I can organise 12 checks. Perfect!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

I do not call them stupid, I call them RISK TAKERS! If things go well... they do very well, if things go bad... they run.

How many (western) people honestly came here cause it was the only thing they could do?
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:20 am
Account Closed

I do not call them stupid, I call them RISK TAKERS! If things go well... they do very well, if things go bad... they run.

How many (western) people honestly came here cause it was the only thing they could do?
I call them stupid, the downside clearly outweighs the upside. And this has not only been happening since the economic decline started about a year ago, Westerners came here during the boom time and left with massive credit card debt and car loans way before this started happening. So yes, I call it greedy and stupid... This is the whole point of the credit crunch. Toxic debt anyone?
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:23 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

and as far as I am concerned, there is nothing wrong with risk takers...if no one would take risks, the world would be a boring place...
and in the case of people in the UAE, there really doesn't seem to be another option than to run, I am sure if they had been in a similar situation in another part of the world, they would have sorted their problems out in another way.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:27 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes
I call them stupid, the downside clearly outweighs the upside. And this has not only been happening since the economic decline started about a year ago, Westerners came here during the boom time and left with massive credit card debt and car loans way before this started happening. So yes, I call it greedy and stupid... This is the whole point of the credit crunch. Toxic debt anyone?
oh I am sure there are people that have done that, but perhaps those are the kind of people that back home have themselves declared bankrupt only to start up another business a month later...those are just people that don't have any ethics but that's something different than being stupid...I wouldn't suggest that the OP and other people that have posted before on here like mrs Haps (or whatever her name was) fall into that category.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

and as far as I am concerned, there is nothing wrong with risk takers...if no one would take risks, the world would be a boring place...
and in the case of people in the UAE, there really doesn't seem to be another option than to run, I am sure if they had been in a similar situation in another part of the world, they would have sorted their problems out in another way.
Yes but when you take risks you need to understand the consequences of it, otherwise you are not a risk taker but a stupid person as EE says. And while I do blame the UAE for a lot of things, I feel like a lot of people here live deliverly beyond there means besides the rent advance, the UAE laws, etc. We cannot blame the UAE for everything that happened. They did not invented greed (maybe they just master it?). Lot of people leave their brains at home before coming to Dubai (do they know they do not need it here?).

Again, maybe is not the case of the OP and some other people around but... c'mon... Dubai is unreal. People in their 20s living the life of millonaires when they make AED 25K per month.

Last edited by klaus3974; Jul 22nd 2009 at 5:32 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:31 am
Account Closed

oh I am sure there are people that have done that, but perhaps those are the kind of people that back home have themselves declared bankrupt only to start up another business a month later...those are just people that don't have any ethics but that's something different than being stupid...I wouldn't suggest that the OP and other people that have posted before on here like mrs Haps (or whatever her name was) fall into that category.
If you read my original post I said that this doesn't necessarily apply to mysteryme, and indeed if I was in her position, I would have fled the country as well. Klaus and I have been talking about the fools who are blinded by the easy debt and the apparent milk and honey of the UAE, without calculating the true risk downside.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 5:46 am
Concierge

and there lies the biggest problem of all, I am pretty sure alot of people would have liked to have stayed here and find new jobs etc but they weren't given the chance to do so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.