OK So we did a runner......

OK So we did a runner......

Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

mysteryme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OK So we did a runner......

[QUOTE=rowell;7770604]
Originally Posted by mysteryme
I know - I am surprised I haven't been persecuted on here yet - am sure that will come!

Funnily enough.....that will probably not be the case......there but for the grace of god, certainly if I was in the same position I would abscond if i could not pay my debts.
I'm surprised everyone's being so nice If I recall correctly there is a guy on here who will have an opinion - Admon or something??

I'm not looking for answers as to if it was right or wrong - I know its wrong - am hoping to hear from others who did it too. But as mentioned above, I guess very few people will admit to it!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:53 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mysteryme;7770618]
Originally Posted by rowell

I'm surprised everyone's being so nice If I recall correctly there is a guy on here who will have an opinion - Admon or something??

I'm not looking for answers as to if it was right or wrong - I know its wrong - am hoping to hear from others who did it too. But as mentioned above, I guess very few people will admit to it!
when you originally opened your bank account - i thought they took a UAE and a UK point of contact as well? Can you remember? Is there a way to find out if they have mailed to your UAE post box (or i guess that was your old company PO box?)
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:54 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mysteryme;7770618]

I'm not surprised that you haven't been ripped into. Getting into a mess in the first place justifies an amount of criticism. Getting yourself out without going to prison means you ain't totally thick.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Yes they did take UK details down (parents address and number) - no calls or mail yet.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:58 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they did take UK details down (parents address and number) - no calls or mail yet.
In that case I would worry more about involving my mam n dad than the debt I left here
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Worth noting:
Claiming bankruptcy in the UK will not absolve UAE debts.
The only way to close this chapter is to pay it all back.

Also, leaving your debt in Dirhams is a risk I'd avoid.
You're in for roughly 25,000 GBP today... that debt could stretch to 30,000 GBP if USD gains a few basis points.

Perhaps you can get a debt consolidation loan from a UK bank?
You could use those funds to pay back the UAE banks in a lump sum, and resume monthly payments to a UK bank.

You did what you had to do, but you're not done yet.
Good luck.

Last edited by BurpusMe; Jul 21st 2009 at 1:08 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:04 pm
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

In that case I would worry more about involving my mam n dad than the debt I left here
But surely mum and dad were not named as guarantors in which case they use the "not known at this address" ploy.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondered how long you stayed in UAE and why you borrowed the money?
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Just over 2 years - the usual car loan and rent loans and a bit on credit cards . Nothing out of the ordinary for Dubai!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Have you talked to the bank yet? I understand that they auction the cars that have outstanding loans so hopefully that should reduce your debt a bit - if they have found the car!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:06 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Just over 2 years - the usual car loan and rent loans and a bit on credit cards . Nothing out of the ordinary for Dubai!
But no savings even after two years?

It is people who have no intention of paying debts back that I have an issue with. Failing to do so is tantamount to theft. All very well saying it is just a bank, but that is overly simplistic. The banks have shareholders, many of whom are the man in the street. Lower profits leads to increased costs and higher interest rates and those impact on other customers.

-
Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:07 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I know - I am surprised I haven't been persecuted on here yet - am sure that will come!

The debt was split between my husband and myself - around 150 k between the two of us, but with different banks. ..
why be persecuted, no one does a runner unless they are desperate, I think you made a brave decision. You have said you will pay the money back. If you had stayed you could have ended up in jail. I know what I would have done.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meow
But no savings even after two years?

It is people who have no intention of paying debts back that I have an issue with. Failing to do so is tantamount to theft. All very well saying it is just a bank, but that is overly simplistic. The banks have shareholders, many of whom are the man in the street. Lower profits leads to increased costs and higher interest rates and those impact on other customers.

-
No - NO savings! We moved over as a young newly married couple (both mid 20s) cause I got a job with ITP. It was my husband's first real job out of uni too. A year later I fell pregnant and lost my job (wanker of boss saw no use of a pregnant female on board, but that's another story!) when I was 5 months pregnant. 6 Months after baby born (recession time) I could not find any work. Wasnt possible to survive on my husband's salary alone (as I said it was his first proper job) - we were borrowing money from in laws to keep up with payments.

We were not living beyond our means at all. Modest one bed flat in Satwa, not a flashy car, didn't splurge on brunches or shopping etc.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:21 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

No - NO savings! We moved over as a young newly married couple (both mid 20s) cause I got a job with ITP. It was my husband's first real job out of uni too. A year later I fell pregnant and lost my job (wanker of boss saw no use of a pregnant female on board, but that's another story!) when I was 5 months pregnant. 6 Months after baby born (recession time) I could not find any work. Wasnt possible to survive on my husband's salary alone (as I said it was his first proper job) - we were borrowing money from in laws to keep up with payments.

We were not living beyond our means at all. Modest one bed flat in Satwa, not a flashy car, didn't splurge on brunches or shopping etc.
I wasn't particularly criticising you and after reading your story you have my sympathies. Seems that you were very unlucky and your intentions sound honourable. ITP may be a well known company but I know of too many people who have been shafted by them.

Good luck in getting back on your feet.

-
Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:24 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I wasn't particularly criticising you and after reading your story you have my sympathies. Seems that you were very unlucky and your intentions sound honourable. ITP may be a well known company but I know of too many people who have been shafted by them.

Good luck in getting back on your feet.

-
Mysteryme, I second Meow's post. It will all be a distant memory this time next year. You and yours are what are important, money can't replace them. I would say now that you are on safe ground that you make the first move to the bank and explain the situation. Watch your back!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.