Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

OK So we did a runner......

OK So we did a runner......

Old Nov 17th 2009, 4:23 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK So we did a runner......

Originally Posted by birrdog
Interesting read - I am moving to Dubai from Jan 2010 but I have been working there on and off for the past year

Maybe I am getting old and sensible but I am renting an appartment at 50% of the housing allowance I am getting and buying a 5 year old car which costs 1 year of my car allowance

The tax break will go into savings back in the UK

Boring I know
I cannot understand why people separate allowances from salary, here in Dubai the powers that be do it for several reasons, at the end of the day it is the overall package that counts, that has to be weighed up against everyones personal circumstances, some choose to save, some think when they come here they are going to save but dont and simply end up staying because of the experience and better weather, we all have different reasons for staying or going. Myself, i consider mine a good salary to pay for my expenses in the uk and maybe in the future if I last that long put a little away for retirement, but having said that having lost a son at 25 money is the least of my priorities.However at the moment it suits me and my circumstances and I am enjoying my life. So getting back to the point, great if you rent an apartment at 50 % of your allowance but unless you are saving that 50% whats the difference? f you are saving the 50% then your basic is enough to live on and I envy you.
People in the past and present often criticized or ridiculed people for what they own or choose to spend their money on but that is a personal thing and no one can understand why for example people spend a lot of money on hotels or alcohol or brunches or indeed try to find the best bargain they can for the money they have in their pockets, anyway it has been said numerous times it is the package that counts and if you are lucky to have a better life on that package than wherever you are from then say thanks to the Architect of the universe
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Foxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really nice

Originally Posted by rowell
I cannot understand why people separate allowances from salary, here in Dubai the powers that be do it for several reasons, at the end of the day it is the overall package that counts,

generally bouns payments will be based on your basic salary, not on your overall package....
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:29 am
Just Joined

birrdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rowell
I cannot understand why people separate allowances from salary, here in Dubai the powers that be do it for several reasons, at the end of the day it is the overall package that counts, that has to be weighed up against everyones personal circumstances, some choose to save, some think when they come here they are going to save but dont and simply end up staying because of the experience and better weather, we all have different reasons for staying or going. Myself, i consider mine a good salary to pay for my expenses in the uk and maybe in the future if I last that long put a little away for retirement, but having said that having lost a son at 25 money is the least of my priorities.However at the moment it suits me and my circumstances and I am enjoying my life. So getting back to the point, great if you rent an apartment at 50 % of your allowance but unless you are saving that 50% whats the difference? f you are saving the 50% then your basic is enough to live on and I envy you.
People in the past and present often criticized or ridiculed people for what they own or choose to spend their money on but that is a personal thing and no one can understand why for example people spend a lot of money on hotels or alcohol or brunches or indeed try to find the best bargain they can for the money they have in their pockets, anyway it has been said numerous times it is the package that counts and if you are lucky to have a better life on that package than wherever you are from then say thanks to the Architect of the universe
Of course it is the overall package that counts but as my UAE salary is equal to my UK salary then in my mind the housing and car allowance are extra and the less I spend on these items the more I have in my pocket

May be easier for me as I have worked for the company for a number of years and have worked in Dubia for short periods so I have got to know the pitfalls such as "Your not bringing your family with you so your housing allowance can be reduced" and "single status only entitles you to 2 flights back to the UK" Both of which I rejected on the grounds that it was my decision not to bring the family and therefor I should not be penalised for being on single status

Dont get me wrong - Dubai is a great place to work, but I see this move as an investment financialy, sure I like a drink, but running up huge debts and going back to the UK after 2 years with nothing to show for it is not on my agenda
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of people in Dubai (and rest of ME) never get out of the holiday metality tbh. Which is fine - but don't then whinge and moan because you have huge debts and blab on about how unfair life is in MEwhen you can't pay them.

N